Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

GP PT-17 Stearman Ideas or Thoughts ?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GP PT-17 Stearman Ideas or Thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP PT-17 Stearman Ideas or Thoughts ?

I recently picked up a very nice GP PT-17 Stearman from a fellow hobbyist and I was wondering if there is any tips, tricks or info anyone has to share that might be important?
Has a Saito 1.80 Golden Knight with Sullivan Skywriter. I just finished changing out the servos to Hitec 5625MGs last night. It had sub-par servos in it and I am installing a new 2300 A123 RX pack and a new set of switches.
Any thoughts on using indivdual elevator servos instead of joining the 2 control rods together and using a single servo? Is it worth it on this plane? She will be a lazy flier, no crazy yanking and banking. My intent is to fly her somewhat scale like.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: GP PT-17 Stearman Ideas or Thoughts ?

You will enjoy the Stearman, it flys and looks good in the air, no bad habits.

I look at it this way...losing one aileron servo is small pucker factor, lose rudder a little more pucker, lose the single elevator servo....bye, bye.

I always split the elevator and use two servos.

Mine flew beautifully and scale like with a Zenoah G-23.

Go have fun.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with large air fill tires with no air to limit bounce on take off the quicker the tail is up the better hit handles, once in the air they fly nice and make 3 point landings
Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

You will enjoy the Stearman, it flys and looks good in the air, no bad habits.

I look at it this way...losing one aileron servo is small pucker factor, lose rudder a little more pucker, lose the single elevator servo....bye, bye.

I always split the elevator and use two servos.

Mine flew beautifully and scale like with a Zenoah G-23.

Go have fun.
I agree, I always use 2 elevator servos when possible, but this one came this way. I have ordered in new control rods and will be splitting them using my trusty stash of 5645 Hitecs. And I appreciate the input on the G23. I am thinning out my crop of slimers, so the Saito 1.80 will likley be replaced with a DLE20 or 30 very soon.

Thanks.