Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Started assembling my 28%Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Started assembling my 28%Edge

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 04:04 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started assembling my 28%Edge

Tom,
I am looking for the predilled holes in the fuse for the main gear, and I don't find any under the covering. I have looked according to the original gear and the lighter gear, but don't find any holes.
DKjens
Old 12-21-2003, 10:54 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Started assembling my 28%Edge

ORIGINAL: DKjens

Tom,
I am looking for the predilled holes in the fuse for the main gear, and I don't find any under the covering. I have looked according to the original gear and the lighter gear, but don't find any holes.
DKjens
They aren't there. Apparently the CAD plan dropped them out so the laser cutter didn't.

Mount the gear about a half inch behind the cowl's trailing edge. You can move it around a little to dodge the screws on the inside.

TF
Old 12-22-2003, 12:31 AM
DKjens

Thanks Tom.
I've got the engine mounted. The MVVS58i needs 1.75" standoffs, but I don't know how I'm going to fit my JMB can in that fuse, or part of the can. I may just wait and see how this engine runs with a muffler and go that way after all. I glued all the hinges this afternoon, epoxy is drying over night. Sure allows for serious throws everywhere, but particularly elevators and rudder he he. The upgrade wingtube seems a little thicker (outside dia.) than the stock heavy one, will have to do a little sanding in the wing cardboard tubes. It is really a cute little plane, I've got it sitting on my work table with wings and elevators mounted and the canopy loosely on.
DKjens
Old 12-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have my controls hinged, gear on (found the mounting hole problem as well) and engine holes drilled.
ONce I get my tube fixed, I will be mounting my engine and servos and checking balance.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:48 PM
DKjens

I've got everything hinged. mounted the main gear first today, then worked the rest of the day on installing my 2.75" x 15" canister for the engine. I am real happy with the result. The header and canister are mounted quite solidly, and only about 1/4" of the bottom of the canister sticks out the bottom. The fuel tank tray had to go, and the canister reaches all the way back to the rear rudder servos cut out. The cut out is still usable, I'll just have to make a new fuel tank tray or mounting arrangement. Tomorrow I'll make my tail gear. I make a long gear out of 4mm piano wire that puts the tail gear rear of the rudder trailing edge. If "accidentally" tail tapping, it will be rear wheel tapping, and keep me within AMA rules, ahchooo - bull***** - achooo. No, seriously, it saves the rudder when making harrier landing. I will install control horns and servos and get an idea of weight and balance. I will try to snap pics tomorrow of my work.
DKjens
Old 12-23-2003, 10:58 PM
David_Moen

Yes pictures please!
Old 12-25-2003, 12:39 PM
DKjens

I took these pictures Wednesday morning. They show the engine, header and can installation. They don't show it very well, but you should be able to make it out.
DKjens
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39744.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	85108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81026.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	85109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29235.jpg
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	85110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58933.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	85111  
Old 12-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Geistware

OK, have ailerons and elevator hooked up and cycled for an hour. The rudder glue is drying and will be hooked up in the morning. I am still trying to figure out how to hook up the throttle. I have a few ideas but none that I like. Choke will be manual until I figure out how to do it as well. I did find that I cut my stand offs about 1/2 inch too short. I guess I will have to run back to Lowes for more Oak dowel rods.

I took these pictures Wednesday morning. They show the engine, header and can installation. They don't show it very well, but you should be able to make it out.
DKjens
Old 12-25-2003, 11:07 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I am still trying to figure out how to hook up the throttle. I have a few ideas but none that I like. Choke will be manual until I figure out how to do it as well.
Jens and others interested in the MVVS 58.

I am doing one (MVVS 58) as well, and I just finished the throttle/choke setup. I used standard servos on each. They are mounted just behind F1, one upper right and the other lower left.

FYI I had to replace both arms with homemade units and cut off the choke shaft a little. The throttle arm now points down. The standard unit pointed up and was directly in line with the fuel inlet fitting so it would have been impossible to hook up linkage (what do people think about when they come up with a setup that cannot possibly work).

FYI I expect the choke to not work properly. The factory left out the detent ball and spring that hold thechoke full open or fully shut. And what's up with the spring that holds the choke open. If you have a manual choke linkage, how do you hold it closed while flipping the prop?

It looks like a beautiful engine, but the carb layout can benefit by someone from the factory actually installing one in a plane and facing the real life issues of linkage.

I've attached a couple photos.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C

Name:	Ca80390.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	85184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96073.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	85185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22724.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	85186  
Old 12-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

DKjens

Good Lord Man, get that bench cleaned up, are you trying to make it look like mine........
Old 12-26-2003, 11:57 AM
DKjens

Jemo - LOL, ahem, you noticed,------- I should have worked the pics in photoshop first ha ha. The bench was clean when I started he he. If it wasn't for that plastic plane holder, my planes would end up with holes in them ha ha.
DKjens
Old 12-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I know what it's all about.
I sometimes can't imagine why I need so many tools out at one time
Old 12-26-2003, 05:46 PM
David_Moen

Looking at the engine I have, the control arms on the throttle and choke are secured to the shafts with a socket head screws, it looks as though the screws can be loosened and the arms oriented any way you like. Alternativley you could spin the fuel fitting out and put a thicker gasket under it, when it is tightened back down the inlet will be pointing up away from the throttle arm.

The ball and spring on the choke shaft are not supplied by MVVS, but can be sourced pretty easily. The spring can be liberated from a ball-point pen, and the steel ball required is .125" in diameter. If you are running a choke servo, the choke return spring can be removed so that the servo is not pulling against it all the time.

If anyone is interested, I have one of these ready for immediate shipment along with a Bisson Pitts exhaust.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:17 PM
rctom

I added pics of my MVVS 58 installation to the post above dated 12/26.

Tom Fawcett
Old 12-27-2003, 09:54 PM
DKjens

Mine is almost finished. I've got the rudder servo (HS5735BB) mounted inverted (the pipe is under it), got throttle and choke servo mounted and hooked up, got my home made tail wheel mounted and connected, engine, header, pipe, ignition, all batteries, all switches, and Rx are mounted. Just finished up tonight with mounting cowl, cutting spinner for prop (Zinger Pro 24x10) and mounting prop and spinner. My hatch is mounted, canopy is trimmed and painted, just needs taping down. So tomorow all I have to do is taping canopy down, seal all hinge gaps, mount wings and I will run the engine and check for glitches etc. I will probably go fly it on Monday, if weather is for it.
DKjens
Old 12-27-2003, 10:51 PM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

Can't wait to here the reports on this new MVVS gasser. I was amazed at the performance of a friends Giant Scale Katana 140 with an MVVS 1.4 gasser on a tuned pipe. This had way more power than an OS 160. I guess the new gassers are catching up to there Glow counterparts pretty quickly.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:24 PM
DKjens

It's finished and ready for tomorrow's maiden flight. I sealed all hinge gaps with clear monokote, don't you just love that little trim iron, makes it so fast and easy; attached the canopy to hatch, cleared the threads in the wings for the attachment bolts, drilled for wing safety pins, fueled up and ran the engine in my drive way.
The engine caughed on the third flip with choke on and 1/2 throttle. Then I got confused and forgot which position the gear switch should be to turn choke off and probably flipped three more times at idle with choke still on ha ha. Anyway, the engine started right up once I figured my switches. With this header and large can, this engine sounds great. Very quiet with a slight tingy sound from the can. The engine swings this ZingerPro 24x10 like nothing, tips are singing at 1/3 throttle or less. I set the engine to a low idle and went looking for my tach. I must have spent 2-4 minutes looking without success, and the engine still kept running at a low enough idle that the plane would not crawl (I did have it tied down, don't worry). After a significant time at low idle (1200-1500 probably) the engine took the throttle without a cough or burble, with my limited experience with gas engines I must admit that I am impressed with this engine, I will not be surprised if it turns out to have the same or more power than the zdz80rv.
Here are a few pictures I took after full assembly. You can see I succeeded quite well in hiding that large 2.75"x15" can.
DKjens

Name:	Yw67341.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	85785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80843.jpg
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	85786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23048.jpg
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	85787  
Old 12-28-2003, 05:29 PM
DKjens

Here is a picture of my home made tail wheel, no chance of rudder tapping here, but tail wheel tapping should be possible ha ha.
Also, can you say extreme throws, especially on elevators, this thing should do great water falls, and knife edge spins, hold on to your hat he he. Mine came out balancing about 5.5" behind leading edge, dry. I am sure fully tanked it will be a little further forward, I don't think I'll worry about it. If it feels tail heavy, I'll land right after take off while tank is full, I am using a 24 oz tank by the way.
DKjens

Name:	Tr51768.jpg
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	85792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97076.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	85793  
Old 12-28-2003, 07:59 PM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

Hey DK jens, can you take some shots of your pull pull setup. I will be using my 5625 servos ganged together for the rudder. should be pretty beefy at 260

That tailwheel looks like a drag bike. Really cool.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:17 PM
DKjens

Sal, I am using a single Hitec HS5735MG on my pull-pull rudder, so a picture woouldn't really show you anything useful, unless you are planning on mounting your servos upseide down, like mine he he. I will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow at the field, and show my set up. Unless you are using an extremely heavy engine, should you mount the rudder servo(s) in the tail. If ganging two rudder servos up in a pull-pull, I think a floating bell crank is probably the best, least chance of binding, or servos fighting each other, that way. Why not just buy a 5735, heck, it's only around $70.00 and save those 5625 for something else.
Oh, and my drag bike is in the back ground he he, an '02 R1, at 150 mph I got off the gas he he.
DKjens
Old 12-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Geistware

DKJens, I hope you are using a LOT of expo with your elevator deflection. I started with 50% and a little less that the recommended high rates and had to increase it to 75%. Unless you plan on breathing on the controls to fly it, you will need the expo. Your tail wheel assembly looks great! I plane to get better pictures of my ship soon. Mine didn't come out too good. You will like how this plane flies.

Here is a picture of my home made tail wheel, no chance of rudder tapping here, but tail wheel tapping should be possible ha ha.
Also, can you say extreme throws, especially on elevators, this thing should do great water falls, and knife edge spins, hold on to your hat he he. Mine came out balancing about 5.5" behind leading edge, dry. I am sure fully tanked it will be a little further forward, I don't think I'll worry about it. If it feels tail heavy, I'll land right after take off while tank is full, I am using a 24 oz tank by the way.
DKjens
Old 12-28-2003, 10:33 PM
DKjens

geistware, yes, I have about 80% expo on elevator and aileron high rate. I also have a low rate programmed in, about 20% of high rate on elevator and 40% on ailerons. I plan to fly it on low rate, then with time switching to high rate. Flying on high rate on ailerons and rudder is not a problem, but elevator can be. I will fly it for a while and see how it reacts when flying. I was just showing that picture to show the potential of throw on those elevators he he. I like that you posted that it will fly very slow, does it just drop its nose or does it snap to a side? Luckily my engine will idle really low, because I think I will soon switch to a 24x12 prop, this mvvs58i has all indications of a kick butt engine he he. Whatt engine do you have in yours, man, a 32 oz tank is huge in this plane he he? Where did you have CG, and how did it feel? Tail heavy, nose heavy?
I'm happy to hear everything went well on your maiden(s), I loove the way this plane looks, and I know it will be a popular plane at the field. This plane and the 28% Extra coming out next from Tom, are really nice, and the cost ($399.00) is unbelievable.
DKjens
Old 12-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Geistware

I have it at 4 3/4 inch from the LE. I had to remove the spinner because I mounted the wrong one and I didn't have a bolt to hold it on right (8-32 x 3"). It does feel nose heavy and the left wing is heaver than the right so when I fly too slow, it drops a wing. I will get my canopy mounted permanently today and then lateral balance the plane once I add wing tip skids.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
DKjens

Maiden went very well. I just flew the plane for about 5 minutes on first flight, since engine acted a little lean. The engine yanks the plane around like a ragdoll, continious uplines at 1/3 throttle or so. I richened up the low end 1/8 turn and top end 1/4 turn and engine ran much better. This engine is very responsive, no gurgling or funny things, I really like the engine, and my muffler setup is not only very quiet, it also sounds great. I really like this plane too, so can it get much better? The CG is at 5.25" behind LE, which makes is slightly tail heavy, just enough to pitch up at slow speed, but not tail heavy enough for my taste. I just flew it around some, big loops, snaps are great, and the plane stops fast. When it stalls, you have to be a complete idiot not to expect it, and it doesn't snap violently at all. I did a couple of elevators with minor wing rock, hovering needed continious up elevator. High alpha knife edge right to left (canopy towards me) had little tucking to gear, the other way needed a little more work. I felt very confident when flying this plane, felt I could always pull out of stuff in time, was never afraid it would unexpectetly snap on me, and it does slow down to a crawl on landings - it is most definetely a keeper, thank you Tom, again.
Here's a picture of my inside fuse set up, notice the upside down rudder servo he he.
DKjens

Name:	Om31868.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	86120  
Old 01-02-2004, 01:53 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Jens
when we gonna see some pics of you TR'n this thing down on the deck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.