Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What is going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Johny rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on here?

9zwc2 I've built 2 new planes this winter and when it comes to set up the radio I get nothing on either new planes. My radio will run my old planes but not the new ones I've checked the swithes and regulators and they work. the difference that I have done is I'm using some jr servos, would this have any thing to do with my problem? thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
b-mccor8
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: What is going on here?

I would say if your using a futaba radio and jr servos the pos and neg wire will be different for the servos. Meaning it is shorting your receiver and rendering it inop. pull out the pins of the connector and match them to follow the futaba servos
Old 01-28-2004, 07:52 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

If it's not the servos, any chance you put PCM RX's in the new planes or vice versa and need to change the TX's signal?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:59 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: b-mccor8

I would say if your using a futaba radio and jr servos the pos and neg wire will be different for the servos. Meaning it is shorting your receiver and rendering it inop. pull out the pins of the connector and match them to follow the futaba servos
JR servos will work on a Futaba RX without shorting anything out. They will run reversed from the rotation of Futaba servos, but they will not damage anything.

I'm with Hawker..

Check your TX/RX frequencies, make sure they are the same.

Check your modulation, both PCM or both PPM??

Module is in the TX??

I bet you'll find out it's the smallest thing....
Old 01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Johny rc

I did check the pcm/ppm. I put the crystal in the rx so the rx/tx are suppose to be the same.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 PM
b-mccor8
My Feedback: (3)

IF having the positive and negative wires in the wrong spot will only run the servos reversed why will people pull apart a servo to resolder wiring? We just solved the exact same problem with a plane in our club. Futaba system, jr servos. It did not work. The sytem would work in his old plane not the new one. Changed the wiring around and there you go. I did not mean short as in frying; I should clarify, I mean short as in confuse.???????
Old 01-28-2004, 10:10 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

You are missing the point. Entirely.

The "+", "-", and "Sig" wires on both JR and Futaba servos/RX's are exactly the same. The JR servos are just manufactured in such a manner that they happen to rotate in the opposite direction of Futaba servos.

This has nothing, at all, to do with the "+", "-", and "Sig" wires on the servo/RX.

Reversing the servo leads at the RX on any servo will not reverse the servo.

This has nothing, at all, to do with the "+", "-", and "Sig" wires on the servo/RX.

Your previous assumption that the "+", "-", and "Sig" wires had any bearing whatsoever was flawed.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Blow n Go

Johny,
When you say nothing - you mean absolutely nothing? Can you give us some more details about the set-ups? Freqs, receiver types, crystal types, etc.

I have been using JR servos with the 9Z for years and never encountered a problem with incompatibility. I have used JR 605, 3301, 8611 and 8411 servos - with Futaba 149DP's, 138DP's, and synthesized receivers. Also several Hitec FM recievers. My servos are a mix of Futaba and JR - with and without matchboxes.

It's possible to plug the JR servos in backwards into a Futaba receiver, but it does not hurt anything........that servo just won't work till you fix it. (if it can be screwed up - I've done it!)

CJ
Old 01-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good suggestion I was wondering when someone was going to say that as a read down the replies. Thats what I am thinkin as well, that they are just plugged in in reverse since the JR connector allows that to happen when using it with a futaba rec.

Chip

ORIGINAL: Blow n Go

Johny,
When you say nothing - you mean absolutely nothing? Can you give us some more details about the set-ups? Freqs, receiver types, crystal types, etc.

I have been using JR servos with the 9Z for years and never encountered a problem with incompatibility. I have used JR 605, 3301, 8611 and 8411 servos - with Futaba 149DP's, 138DP's, and synthesized receivers. Also several Hitec FM recievers. My servos are a mix of Futaba and JR - with and without matchboxes.

It's possible to plug the JR servos in backwards into a Futaba receiver, but it does not hurt anything........that servo just won't work till you fix it. (if it can be screwed up - I've done it!)

CJ
Old 01-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Johny rc

on the on 35% dual rx's. when I use my friends rx and tx the plane works(he flies jr) other wise nothing at all with the 149dp's
the other is a park flyer rad 540 with a m5 futaba type rx. the only thing I get is the servos will jump when I plug the battery in
then nothing after that. on this rx I have tried turning the plugs around, I get the same thing they jump at first then nothing.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Johny rc

I don't like the idea of having to do this to about 900 dollars worth of servos, plus I don't think I could solder on that small of scale. I have new cystals and will change them out to see if maybe the old ones got mislabeled. but now on two recievers I don't know
ORIGINAL: b-mccor8

IF having the positive and negative wires in the wrong spot will only run the servos reversed why will people pull apart a servo to resolder wiring? We just solved the exact same problem with a plane in our club. Futaba system, jr servos. It did not work. The sytem would work in his old plane not the new one. Changed the wiring around and there you go. I did not mean short as in frying; I should clarify, I mean short as in confuse.???????
Old 01-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Johny rc

One plane fixed it was the crystals thanks for your inputs
Old 02-01-2004, 04:13 PM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

One thing that no one has talked about, and has happened to me and have seen other do also is sometimes you think the crystal in the receiver appears to be in, but has missed the holes in the receiver may also try a couple of times just taking out the crystal and putting back in.

Steve Maxwell
Old 02-04-2004, 04:11 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I was going to say make sure you are not using a dual conversion crystal in a single receiver or vise versa. Even thought the channels are the same it wont work.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:32 AM
FHHuber
Banned

You can plug a JR servo into a Futaba RX BACKWARDS (signal and ground reversed) Be certain that the brown on the JR is on the same side as black on the Futaba.

So simple to do... so hard to find if you don't know to look for it.

Check for power at the switch harness plug that you are sticking in the RX. Maybe its a simple broken wire inside the insulation. (got an onboard LED type voltage monitor? If it doesn't light up you are going to get nowhere till you get power to the RX.)

Just another couple ideas to try to solve that second plane. (and other people's planes)