Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

37% Lanier Sukhoi

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Rv6fly06
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37% Lanier Sukhoi

I've read a few threads on this plane and there seems to be a lack of first hand information. I know few people mentioned they have flown it, seen it flown, and liked it's performance, but is there anyone that can vouch for this kit? I mean personally built and regulary fly it, building tips, set-ups, etc. Apparently there are plenty of people buying this kit is there anybody with building or flying pics? What do you think?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: 37% Lanier Sukhoi

I would also like to know. I would be interested in a winter build for next year.

Neo
Old 02-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

I finished one and have heard alot of first hand information on it. Its a great looking plane, a bit on the heavy side imo. I love the sukhoi in general, so having the biggest one made makes it all worthwhile to me. Looks like it flies sweet too. The kit I think leaves a little to be desired. Fits and grooves in the formers dont all match up, and can leave a warped fuse if you're not careful. Its like their router wasnt calibrated when they were cut out... With that in mind, it would take a little longer to build right. I think its still worth all the nagging problems though!
Old 02-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact Chico Chanes at High Flight Magazine. He did a kit review last fall. Also had the plane at the IMAA Rally of the Giants, Castle AFB, last May and let anyone fly it who wanted too. All who flew it came away with the same comment, "It is a sweet flyer and does anything you ask".

It was a beauty in the Breitling scheme (same as H9). Chico said it was a good kit and easy to build.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Hi all,

I'm currently building two of these planes and can give you good and bad points about them. First, as previously mentioned, the slots cut in the fuse sides for the first 2 formers are wrong & need some trimming to fit. Maybe they've been corrected in future kits, but if you try to build it without trimming them you'll end up with a crooked fuse. Second problem I have is with the lasercutting of the formers. Some of them are very good, but a large portion of them required a lot of cutting on the backside to get the part out, and then cleanup with sandpaper. Not a really big deal, but still a pain considering the relative ease in which Lanier could fix them.

Building itself is very straightforward & goes quickly for a plane of this size. Something to consider is the glue choice on the fuse. On my first one I put the fuse together with clamps & then wiped glue over the joints (as recommended in the instructions). I used Pica GLUIT and found myself with a large white stripe on every glue joint. Not critical, but ugly! I'll use Titebond on the next and pre-glue the formers & wipe off the excess.

The instructions are good and combined with the plans will get you thru the construction with no problem. The plans (1/2 scale) are lacking some construction detail, but are adequate.

Wing & tail construction is very straightforward, but beware if you intend to vacuum bag the sheeting on. You'll either need to decrease the vacuum to under 4" of pressure or (a better way) fill in the square cutouts in the cores with foam before sheeting. If not, the vacuum will suck the sheeting below the surface leaving you with flat spots to fill / replace. (Don't ask me how I learned this. )

The good news is that the wood quality was excellent with most of the sheeting requiring only minor touchup with a long sanding block before joining them together. The fiberglass cowl is super light and strong with no pinholes, and the LARGE canopy is flawless.

Weight really shouldn't be an issue with this bird, I'm estimating 41-42 lbs ready to fly with no changes to the structure. If you really wanted to save weight I'd look at replacing the sheeting with contest grade balsa, replace the wing / tail tubes with C/F, and MAYBE use higher tourque digital servos's to eliminate a few of them. Not sure if laminating C/F & balsa formers to replace the liteply ones would be worth the effort & cost, but it's something else to look at.

All in all, I'm happy with the kits, but I think there is some room for improvement. Should fly excellent, but with the cooollld North-east winterwe're a LONG way from that right now!

If anybody wants any other info feel free to email me directly ([email protected]). I don't frequent this forum too often.

Bob
Old 02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
NeoGenesis

We need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you have any.

Neo
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Bobman

Shop is a bit full right now so the planes are put to the side for the next couple weeks. We're building a new house (with a bigger shop! ) and are putting most everything in storage to make the move easier. As soon as I get back on the projects I'll take some digitals & post them for you.

Bob
Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 PM
cnbhome
My Feedback: (2)

I built one and used the RCS 215. I removed the false lovers and made some simple aluminum ones that actually weighed less than the plastic, with that I did not need a air exit hole. The plane flew great and would land at a walk with no stall problems, the fully assembled weight was 42 pounds. The engine was not the problem with the extra weight since it weighs the same as a 150 with full canisters and supporting structure. The real problem is in the foam and balsa , since it is so large at least 5 pounds can be saved if you use good balsa and consider honeycombing the foam. I used a large bottle of probond just gluing the sheeting on the plane so I know it can be much lighter.

I also have a full set of pictures of a full scale Sukhoi that I can email to anybody that gives me their address.

Chris
Old 02-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Bobman

Chris,

Had to be awesome with the radial, that's definately the way to go for the most realism.

I've considered honeycombing the wings but don't see a real weight savings there because the foam truly isn't that heavy (1lb / cubic foot). Maybe you'd have less surface area for the glue to stick to and therby use less glue, but I'd question if it was truly worth the effort? ALso, would make vacuum bagging the cores tough.

Sounds like you went thru a lot of glue with your sheeting, maybe it was a little more than needed? I've always used epoxy for sheeting, but the probond / bagging method has worked out well so far. I've found with test pieces that you can REALLY scrape a lot of the urethane glue off the skin and still have a super-strong bond. Still, 42 lbs is nothing to sneeze at for a monster this size!

What did you use for servos? I'm looking at JR 8611's (or equivalant without getting into a brand-name war here! ) with one on each stab, two on each aileron, and 2-3 on the rudder.

You had previously emailed me your Sukhoi pics but I lost your email addy afterwards, never got a chance to thank you. Thanks!

Bob
Old 02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Well I got lucky and purchased this kit at the RAHM show at a descent price. Unfortunately my buddy who picked the kit up for me didn't realize that it came in 2 boxes, so I am short the wing box. Lanier was nice and the woman on the phone said she would ship it on Thursday. I wonder what Bubba thought when they were loading the single box. I know what I thought...
I will be following this thread for all the tips on this kit for next winters project. I want a straight light airplane so all the tricks used will be appreciated.
Good luck to all
v-snap
Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 AM
v-snap

Has anyone thought about trying to round the belly of the fuse to resemble the true outline a little more? I have a hanger 9 Suk and was thinking of cutting the lower formers and changing the shape a little bit. I guess the best way would be cutting the turtle deck and hatch along with bell pieces from foam and sheeting with 1/16th balsa to help the shape flow better.
HMMMM maybe a kit bashing of magnitude is in order.

cnbhom,
What method did you use on the louvers? and how did you attach them? any suggestions, thoughts or sale items?
V-Snap
Old 02-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Bobman

V-snap,

Already planned for the next one.... I've redrawn the lower formers round and will stringer / sheet them just like the turtledeck. Foam would work well also, I just prefer to work in balsa. Rear tailwheel mount area needs to be changed a bit with this mod also, no big deal.

I'm curious about the louvers also. Been looking for a die to punch them in lithoplate but everything I find is too big.

The real dream will be blowing this thing up to, say, 50% scale or so. Nice home for a 240!

Bob
Old 02-28-2004, 08:16 PM
v-snap

Bobman,
Any chance of getting a copy of your former drawings? I am considering doing this and could use the help.
V-Snap
Old 02-28-2004, 11:43 PM
cnbhome
My Feedback: (2)

Guys ... On the louvers I am sorry to say that I just cut them out of some .040 aluminum sheet with a jig saw and bent them with a small press. It only took a couple of hours to do all six sections. I kept the edges narrow so they would bend into the cowl. I think only the two lower ones were tight. I screwed them in with little #2 screws from Micro Fastners. I know this seems like a lot of work but it took longer to plan than do. The results were very satisfying and I did not need a exhaust air exit hole in the bottom of the cowl. I also rounded out the bottom of the fuselage by putting in some of the wing foam sections and having a round edge, It worked pretty well.

Again if anybody wants a full set of Full size pictures of a 31 send me your email I have 53 at 1.4mb each so you need a big mail box. The day I got the photos the carb was falling off and they were working on the engine so there are some interior shots also.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:56 PM
NeoGenesis

Hey guys,

Quick question on this bird. I've heard that when doing a wall with the Lanier Sukhoi, it tends to snap out. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Neo
Old 03-01-2004, 10:11 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

Neo,

Haven't you lawndarted enough Sukhoi's already??

Are you trying to stock-up on Suhkoi's (aka Lawndarts) with the H9, and now the Lanier??
With your track record, maybe that's not such a bad strategy!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:26 PM
NeoGenesis

Hey J,

If my record with Sukhoi's was the same as yours with Mustangs...........You bet I would stay away. But it's not quite that bad. You've crashed what.......nearly every one you ever owned?

Neo [:-]
Old 03-01-2004, 10:32 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

yup...you're right...guess we're even...you've wrecked every sukhoi you've owned too...
...that's why no more 'stangs for me! too expensive![:'(]

Go Team Lawndart!!

....anyway....back to the real point of this thread...[8D]
Old 03-01-2004, 10:36 PM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

now now boys!

Play nice!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:30 AM
NeoGenesis

Yes I admit to wrecking my whole 1 Suhkoi that I've owned. My Hanger 9 is still in it's box and the profile is ready to cover.

Neo