Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Tracking Straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:41 PM
harryw13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking Straight

Chip,
I flew last year in intermediate at the nats, so the flight line I was on I got to see all the intermediate and advanced pilots fly. This was my first nats, and I learned a lot just by watching some of the best in the county fly, including yourself. One thing i noticed was, the one thing that separated the top flyiers in each class,was how well they flew there straight lines. Whether it was straight and level, a vertical line, a 45 degree up or down line, It seemed like there planes were on a rail! While the rest of us kept seeking our lines, these guys made it look easy (Which I know it's not).
Do you have any suggestions on learning to fly straight lines, exercises, practice tips, ect...
I know this may not be as fun to talk about as 3D flight, but sometimes I think we forgett some of the basics. I'm currently flying a Focus with Webra 1.45, and a 28% Extra 330 for IMAC.
Thanks
Harry Wagner
Old 03-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tracking Straight

You know its funny I was just thinking about this the other day and I was remembering how many times I did the straight flight out, procedure turn, and straight flight back with my dads Mach-1.
I really think that manuever is one that should paid close attention to. I have tried to do it the best I can every flight I have flown for the past 28 years. Not as a scored manuever so much but as the way I turn around after takeoff while setting up for the trim pass before the pattern starts. I really believe you are judged from the time you enter the start box so how you do even a trim pass can set the stage. If you can do this you will be able to draw nice lines at any angle seeing how flying straight and level is by far the hardest. Hope this helps

Chip
ORIGINAL: harryw13

Chip,
I flew last year in intermediate at the nats, so the flight line I was on I got to see all the intermediate and advanced pilots fly. This was my first nats, and I learned a lot just by watching some of the best in the county fly, including yourself. One thing i noticed was, the one thing that separated the top flyiers in each class,was how well they flew there straight lines. Whether it was straight and level, a vertical line, a 45 degree up or down line, It seemed like there planes were on a rail! While the rest of us kept seeking our lines, these guys made it look easy (Which I know it's not).
Do you have any suggestions on learning to fly straight lines, exercises, practice tips, ect...
I know this may not be as fun to talk about as 3D flight, but sometimes I think we forgett some of the basics. I'm currently flying a Focus with Webra 1.45, and a 28% Extra 330 for IMAC.
Thanks
Harry Wagner