Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Extra 33% with a DA-100?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hangar 9 Extra 33% with a DA-100?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 11:19 PM
storklappe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Extra 33% with a DA-100?

I have the new H9 Extra 330 33% and I am thinking about using a DA-100. Does anyone have any pictures of how much the cowl has to be cut? (I expect that I will have to make cut-outs for the spark plug caps, but I'd like to see how much the cowl has to be cut in the front to accomodate the engine.) Also, did you have to add weight to the tail? How heavy is your plane with this engine combo? Finally, how does yours fly?

I know the plane would fly great with a smaller engine (several guys at my field fly the H9s with ZDZ 80s) but my next plane will be slightly larger and I don't want to have to buy another engine.

One last question: I have only heard two DA-100s run and they both had a distinct "burble" noise in the mid range of the throttle -- is this normal?

Thank you
Old 04-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Extra 33% with a DA-100?

Here are pics of my cowl. Just had to barely cut the cowl for the plug caps. I think it actually looks kind of cool if you ask me.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Paul Cataldo

Forgot the link!
Shortman originally posted the pics for me. Scroll down to the cowl with the Desert Aircraft logo on it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-17-2004, 11:46 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Neither of my DAs burble in the middle, maybe they are a little rich on the bottom which is ok, or have a disturbance of airflow around the carb. However, every 3w I have owned burbled in the middle, but never concerned me.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:28 AM
storklappe

Paul, thanks for the pictures. Did you have to make any cut-outs in the front of the cowl (under the prop shaft area) for the mufflers? I don't mean for the exhaust pipes, I mean for the front part of the muffler that attaches to the head.

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Paul Cataldo

Storklappe,
No, I did not have to make cutouts for anything other than the muffler pipes themselves. It DOES appear like you would have to, but if you are careful, you can keep the mufflers inside the cowl. By that, I mean take your time, and go slow!
The good thing about it, is that a new cowl is only around $30 from Horizon Hobby.