Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Balsa USA 1/3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Col. Buckshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1/3 Cub

I need info on Balsa USA's 1/3 Cub. Has anyone built or flown one. Is there anything that needs to be changed during construction. Is anyone running the OS Pegasus or Zenoah 62 engine. Any help you can give me on this is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Cubman

Default RE: Balsa USA 1/3 Cub

Hi

I believe I'm in the same situation because I just bought myself the Piper PA18 Super Cub 1/3 scale from Balsa USA last week. And that for a Dutch

I can tell you that I have plans to mount the Zenoah ZG80 (twin cylinder) to this bird, but I'm not quit sure already.
It's a whole lot of power for such a lightweigt...

Anyway, I wish you all the luck with the construction!

Marc
from Holland.

PS : I just started with the tail section.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure about the ZG80 but the G62 is an ideal engine for that plane. A fellow club member has the G62 on his and the performance is excellent!

Bud
Old 05-29-2004, 10:48 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Bud.

A friend built the J3 per the plans. He installed a G 62 and it flies very well. I have also seen one fly with the OS 4 cylinder and it flew well too, but it SOUNDED much better!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 04:58 AM
Cubman

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replays in advance!

The only reason for me to use a ZG80 on the 1/3 B-usa Piper will be the better sound.
But I still have a lot of thinking to do before I deside wich engine I will going to use?

I sure let you all know what it will be at that time, but first I have a long way to go,
because the construction has started just a couple of days ago.

Greetings to ya all from the lowlands (EHAM district)
Marc.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I actually have the 1/3 scale Balsa USA Cub but I didn't build it; I bought it at a swap meet.
It didn't have an engine on it when I bought it, so I plugged in a Q-52 and I can promise that it is plenty of power for the aircraft and probably is a little over powered for what is needed for scale flight. A Q-42 would have been fine.

Keep in mind that there is lots of wing area so this is an airplane that looks best when it is actually "flown", and not "muscled" around by a big engine.
The ZG-80 may be the sound you're looking for, but you'll probably be flying it at 1/4 throttle or less most of the time.

Highflight
Old 05-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Cubman

Hi Waller.

You got certainly a big point overhere. I know that the ZG80 is a huge overkill for this aircraft and what i'd like to do is just flying easy and steady like the real thing. It probably would endup with a Zenoah 62 CC.
The reason for this is that this Piper Cub will be used (sometimes) to bring Big Scale gliders to the roof.

I know what to do from now on.

Thanks!

Marc.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:10 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OS 300 or 320 is adequate power - from experience the 320 started to cost big $$ in repairs after many barrels of fuel through it. If I were to build one today, I would put a BME 50 on it. The G62 does fly it nicely, it is just that I prefer the BME 50 - my good buddy has a pair on a DC3 that have perfomed flawless.

Dan
Old 06-01-2004, 02:56 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

A friend has the G-80 in his and yes it is over powered for a wheeled plane but he flies his off of the water and the G-80 helps out with the extra weight and water friction. If you go with scale detailing, lights, cockpit etc.etc. you will need the extra power. As for the construction I have built 4 BALSA USA Sopwith PUPs and replaced allot of the balsa wood with aircraft spruce, the stringers in the wings and the longerons in the fuse and the main wing spars are made out of spruce, we did this because the bird was designed around the Quadra-35 engine, which was the only engine available at that time when it was designed, and used balsa wood in allot of the high stress areas. They are now powered by G-62's turning a belt driven prop speed reduction unit turning a 30 X 10" prop.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to build one of these soon so keep us posted as to the building process. I have a Q-75 that may need a home. I hope I can find a kit somewhere on the internet.

Steve
Old 06-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Cubman

I will Steve!

As for now I did some more studies on all of the drawings and I found out that the wing and fuse-longerons, are indeed still made of balsa. There is however a modification from Balsa Usa because the longerons have to be laminated with half balsa and the other half is spruce. This could be a bit stronger but I prefer to use full spruce longerons. This is what I am going to do.

Well, for now I will going to build for a while and I will be back later on. Maybe I can add some pics here later on!

See ya all

Greets from the swamp

PS : Sorry for my bad english but I have also trouble with my own language. <LOL>
Old 06-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Col. Buckshot

Thanks guys for all the replies. My cousin is building the cub. He does'nt have a computer, so I started this post to give him some help. He has a G-62 to put in it, but he's looking for an excuse to get an OS Pegasus 4cylinder. I've heard something about the 1/3 cub having weak wing mounts. Anybody run into this problem? If so what did you do to correct it?? Thanks again for the info. BTW I also have the 1/3 Pup still in the box--never seem to have the time and space to start construction.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Cubman

As promised a checkup :

The Cubman has finished the stabilizer, elevator and the rudder.

Just begun the construction of the wings and the fuselage together at the same time!

If someone like i can add some pictures from now on during the further construction, but I first have to find out how to upload them.

That's all for now.

Marc.

PS : Weather report from the Dutch swamps :
Raining, sometimes lightning, temp 16 degrees Celsius. WET[:'(]
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 AM
pipercub6
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Buckshot,

I have had my Pup for over 15 years. It's powered by a Q-50, with a 24x6 prop, plenty of scale power but doesn't like anything fancy. Mine had double flying wires which were a pain to get tightened together. Replaced with heavier cable and installed true turnbuckles to make it easier mounting the wings. Go with a mixing radio so you can couple the rudder with the airlerons for alot better turning. IT (DOES NOT) like crosswind t/o's and landings. but only takes about a 1/3 throttle for a nice scale takeoff. The first time I flew it I jammed the throttle to full and in about 15 feet the plane shot up nearly vertical. ( I aged 4 years in about 3 heartbeats)
Over the years I have also put a larger set of spoke wheels on it(10 inchers) and did a little modification to the landing gear. I also replaced the dowels they supplied for the tail braces with 4-40 wires and clevis' and made the tail removable because I was in the military then and had to consider how the movers would box it up when I had to move. Mine came in at about 28 lbs. with a couple lbs of lead in the nose for balance. Fabric is the only wasy to go to cover it. I am in the process of repairing a mishap and repainting the entire aircraft at the moment.( Along with a dozen other projects at the same time.) I have a couple pic's of it in the photo gallery.

Regards, and good luck on the building. Pipercub 6
Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

anyone know of some goodwebsites for cub building

thanks