Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Stinson Reliant

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinson Reliant

Going to build a Stinson Reliant ( they say 16-25lbs depending on how heavy you build it. I'll be using Sig Coverall and doping it, so I'll be about 20lbs with a glow engine--more with a gas). I can't decide on my engine. Should I go with gas ( Z38), or glow 4-stroke (Saito 150 or 180). I don't want the associated electrical problems with gas interfering with my receiver, but I also read about the vibration problems with your Saitos out there. Who's got some hands-on knowledge. Thanks
Old 05-30-2004, 11:25 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Stinson Reliant

I have a Top Flite Stinson Reliant that is covered in Sig Coverall and Sig colored dope. It has an OS 160 twin for power.The plane weights 20 1/4lbs. The OS flies the plane very scale like but it doesn't have much reserve power. Most of the flight is spent at 3/4 to full throttle. Our field doesn't allow gasoline enngines or I would have opted to go with a US 41 for power. The plane is a very gentle flyer once you get used to the very sensitive elevator.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an IKON SR8. At approx 20 lbs it flies at 1/4 throttle with a Saito 300 twin. The plane is covered in Super Coverite and painted with PPG paint.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:20 AM
My Feedback: (14)

The Saitos are somewhat rough but that is the price for high horsepower and fairly light weight. I have two 150s in a matched pair of Sukhois. They make the power but they do vibrate.
I am just starting Hostetlers 126" Reliant and at this point am planning on using a 4.2 Sachs that I have here. This could change to a twin as things progress.
I really would not worry about the "gas engine interference" as most of the good top end recievers seem to reject the noise with nothing special having to be done other than good mounting practices for throttle and kill switches.
Good luck on your project.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Got any pictures or tips for building the Reliant - I am in the process of building the same plane - [link]http://www.alQemy.com/airplane[/link]
Old 10-23-2005, 02:17 AM

Hi There ...

Want Pics?? Go here: http://www.stinsonreliant.com/