Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

World Models 300 Patty Wagstaff

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

World Models 300 Patty Wagstaff

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 PM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models 300 Patty Wagstaff

I just purchased a World Models 3oo which is powered by a US 41 engine and havent had a chance to fly it yet. Does anyone out there have this combination and if so how does it pan out? Seems to me it might be a little under powered.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: World Models 300 Patty Wagstaff

I was watching one fly this past weekend that was powered with an OS 1.60 and a Zinger 17-13 prop. The plane flew ok but it was lacking in the power department. I don't know how the US41 stacks up against the OS 1.6, but I would think that they aren't that much apart.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:14 AM
kevod
My Feedback: (7)

Hi dspadler,

I have seen this same plane (different color scheme) fly with a ZDZ 40, it flew good but it did not have unlimited vertical. He changed it to a ZDZ 50, and was happy with the plane after that.
Also - I am up at about 4,500 feet asl - so we need to overpower most of our airplanes. If you are down closer to sea level that 41cc should do a good job.

-- Kevod
Old 07-12-2004, 09:30 AM
kqutob

Congratulations, it a beautiful arf . I just finished assembling mine. I did a lot of research on the right engine and ended with two choices : 3w48 & the yw48 (Korean) both are twins.
In the end I went with the yw because it was specifically designed & tested on the WM extra 300 and its almost $350 less.
Anyway you made the right decision not choosing the 1.60 , way underpowered. Anything above 40 should do just fine. This plane can use all the power it can get. I have some friends using the Zenoah62 .
Good luck on you test flight, keep us posted
Old 07-12-2004, 12:10 PM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

I still havent flown the Patty yet. Ive been going over the plane and doing some tweeking. The guy I bought the plane from didnt like the plane to much and I think Ive found out why. I checked the CG on the plane and the way he had it set up and it was way to nose heavy. Ive move the battery back and have added about 4oz of wt. to the tail but cant seem to get it on the money at the World Model specs. They recommend 165mm or 6.5" from the leading edge back, measured at the fus. How did you go about getting the CG on yours correct? What kind of measurement did you use. Im not looking a 3D set up just a good all around flier.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

I have one with a different color scheme and with a 160. I agree that it's not a power house with this engine, but for scale aerobatics it's fine. If you want 3-D it can easily handle a 50cc engine. Mine was actually tail heavy with the 160, but then I added a third servo in the tail for for the rudder to avoid pull pull, and ended up having to add weight to the nose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51726.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	152901  
Old 07-13-2004, 04:12 AM
Mattyb

I had the DA 50 in mine up untill recently when it met the earth. Definately glue the stabs down and re-inforce the rudder servo tray. Performance was balistic with the da.

Mattyb
Old 07-13-2004, 10:19 AM
rfw1953

Yep, I used a good dose of epoxy on the horizontal and vertical stabs. Also used the bolts, but the bolts alone just doesn't seem like a secure assembly.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:56 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello rfw1953,
I'm now setting up a WM Patty myself. I will install a 3.2 FPE on the firewall. Let me ask if you don't mind. When you we setting yours up, did you notice the cowling for this bird?? When I marked off the screw locations e.i. 13 mm back by 100 mm apart for the top ones and 13 mm back for the side ones the cowl just looks like it's not setting on there straight!!! I don't know if they put offset on the front of it to match the thrust that the firewall is setting up for you or what is going on here. If you had that problem, what did you do to correct it??? I also had to shift the cowl to one side to make the trim match up and that puts the top holes off center. I'v seen a few other little things on this ARF but for now the cowl is the hold-up. Thanks Hooker53
Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 PM
rfw1953

hooker53 - Hm.... The only thing i had to do with the cowling was grind off the corners where the cowling was making contact with the LG. Other than this minor mod, mine fit and aligned with the holes and the striping ok. I noticed the offset you are referring to, but my prop shaft aligned ok and when I mounted the spinner I didn't notice any concern. I've attached a photo that shows how I had to grind the corners of the cowling to get the fit right. You can also see how the spinner aligns in the photo. Hope this helps.

I really like this model. Flies like a Cadillac. Very smooth flying airplane with no bad habits.

Name:	Ig11971.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	225709  
Old 02-06-2005, 02:47 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day Mate,

I have a WM Extra with the YW twin. Flies great. You will love it.

Have you had any trouble with the mufflers coming loose?. I tried everything to get them to stay tight. The final fix was to use a good epoxy between the flange and the engine. Yes EPOXY. I used BVM Aeropoxy. The YW guys suggested this and it works. They sugested JB weld but I cant find it here in Australia. The problem is that the mufflers are too soft and the screws distort the muffler and the thing comes loose. Try the epoxy and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Name:	Jg14175.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	225766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87790.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	225767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81130.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	225768  
Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 PM
hooker53

Ok guys, I'm abit along on setting my patty up now but, Found a bad situation on the thing today. The left wing has a gap at the trailing edge bigger than all outdoors when it's slid up on the wing tube. I will research more and find out where the prob is and repost. I'v done all the normal things you would do for this prob to no avial. The only thing I see I can do is spring the wing tube abit and that would be a shame and also a little on the dangerous side. For now has anyone ever had this prob with there Patty???? Thanks for your reply. Hooker53
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
TommyWatson

My wings fit perfectly. Perhaps the wing tube mounting tube in your fuse is not in the right place. It is not glued in very well. I put some more epoxy around mine. Measure the tube without the wings installed and see if the tube is square to the centreline.
Check that the root rib is the same angle on both wings.

I would not bend the tube. That will weaken it and it may move (rotate) in flight and cause more problems.

Also check the servo mounting plates inside the tail. They can be a little short on glue.

Let us know how you go.

Regards
Old 02-16-2005, 11:13 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where might I find a good deal on one of the World Models Patty airplanes. Are they sold by many resellers? Thanks Capt,n USA
Old 02-18-2005, 07:15 PM
rfw1953

hooker53- I agree with Tommy Watson. Wings fit perfectly on mine and I wouldn't bend the tube. I also added epoxy to the wing tube area for added strength. Can you post a picture of what you are seeing so we can have a better idea of how things line up and what the gap looks like? Sounds like a strange problem. This is the first time I have heard about this one. The plane has been out for a couple years so can't imagine what the problem is without possibly seeing it.

captinjohn - Here is the link for World Models. http://theworldmodels.com/para/index.php

I purchased mine through my local hobby store. I would check with your local hobby store first, but if they can't get one for you try the link above for oder details.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 PM
hooker53

Hello Guys, Just thought I would give you an up-date on my dilemma. The gap is a mite over 1/8 e.i. .125. World models tells me this is ok as far as it effecting flight. Everything checks out right on the money when the string is pulled!!! Now about the tube bending. I don't think I will do it but I was not talking about hanging it half out of a sock drawer and closing it on the tube. I was talking about a controlled nudge. Ha. Ha. As in getting on my lathe and turn a billet that will slide in the tube about .001 smaller than the tube. I didn't think I would have to move it much to make a diff but I can't even do that. The moments of the airframe is perfect so I will just have to let it go. It sure does eat at me though. WM said they have had two like this. Thats my kind of luck. If two of these planes could have had a $1,000,000 stuck up in it why can't I wind up with that kinda of luck for a change???? Ha. Ha. Gary your photo's on the cowl helped out right much and I want to thank you for it again. I'm showing the plane at a mall show that our club does every year at this time and will post some photo's of her when i get back. It's still a butte. Gary, I'm also going to try the carbon fiber prop of the same size that you had on her!!! Later and you all have a great week-end!!! Roy
Old 02-19-2005, 08:24 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Mate,

If the wings are straight and even as checked with measurements to the tail, then bending the tube will put it out. Why not just fill the gap and cover with monokote?.

Regards
Old 02-19-2005, 05:32 PM
hooker53

Tom you are absolutely right. Thats all I can do. After so many years of scratch and kit building it just sticks in my craw to see it. I don't think it's enough to cause any bad turbulation there but time will tell. I'm going to follow Garys Rec. on the Bellray oil for the engine (if I can find it in this one horse town) and I think it will be ok. Thanks for all the post and happy flying!!! Roy
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 PM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

I'm the proud owner of a OS BGX-1 3500 now, and was thinking about the WM extra 300 (1.6 version).
Is the OS 2.1 overkill on this airframe?

Ted
Old 05-05-2005, 12:39 AM
nightchook

Hi guys, I have been flying my WM Extra 300 for a couple weeks now... it's a great flyer, i have it setup with a Brison 3.2, hitech 6985 on Aileron and Rudder and 5645 on elevators, running 1x lipoly pack on receiver with 6v regulator and 1x 1000ma nicad on ignition.
it's performance is awesome and it weighs in at 15.4 pounds, I fly mine at the 165mm cg and I have to say that I wouldn't want to go any further back than that (it flies inverted hands off which tells me it may even be a little too far back)
Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 AM
hooker53

F2G, Put that engine in the airframe. Must of us are running 3.2 gassers and love it. The main thing with this one for really good flying is get the CG right and throttle management. If you set it up as per the indicated position you will be fine. NIGHTCHOOK------don't touch a thing. If the Patty is flying hands off inverted, thats right where you want her---But no farther back!!!!! Hooker53
Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 PM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

I think i'm going to pick it up tomorow. Its a toss up between the new H9 260 and the WM patty decisions decisions......... when youy have a spare engine lying around!

Ted

Old 05-07-2005, 06:57 AM
speedbird01

I had 45 flights on the WM extra with a DA50 and it flew good, at speed at least. However, I was unfortunate in that the starboard wing was warped and this ruined the flight performance. It basically dropped a wing when you yanked hard up elevator and it would drop the same wing on landing if you came in too slow. So I sent pctures of the warp to World Models - and they sent me 2 x new wing panels, gratis. However, before I could replace the wing, I had a stalled engine choke servo drain my battery...in flight so am contemplating getting another one. I do suggest you install a canister to quite down the gas motor, though it was way too noisy.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:37 PM
udi maman
My Feedback: (18)

hi
i have this lovely extra 300 and i put a G 62 on it
i fly it almost a 18 months and no prob at all
udi maman
israel
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the World Models webb-site .....but could not find anything abput a Patty W. version. Maybe I missed the right place to click???? Capt,n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.