Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New Sig Sun Dancer Bipe!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:40 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sig Sun Dancer Bipe!

How about just adding some Kevlar or fishing line flying wires? It would be simple and light, and would even help slow down your downlines.

Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:41 AM
chopperdave
My Feedback: (2)

Mike called me yesterday and Brian and I headed over to Sig after work. Mike Pratt met us after hrs. and spent a couple of hours setting the plane up and getting it dialed in with the new hardware. The new equipment is MUCH beefier and of a better grade of metal-it is what should have been in the kit from the get go. We finished up rigging the plane and headed south to Hazel Sig's house/flying field at about 8:00 and fueled it up and off she went. I'm no Chip Hyde but we REALLY wrung that plane out-high speed low passes into a violent vertical ascent followed by a waterfall, hovering, torque roll, etc. and the plane never flinched once. I won't be flying it that way on a daily basis but it was nice to see it hold together as well as it did! I think they have the problem sorted out and they will be sending out hardware today. Plane flies beautifully-like a big Hog bipe-I think it's gonna see a lot of time in the air. Thanks again to Mike Pratt and Sig for taking care of the little guy and making things right...
Old 10-01-2004, 08:45 PM
bipeaddict

What size opening for the wing servos? I was considering using JR 9411's (mid size, 82 Oz) for the ailerons but don't necessarily want to resize the cutouts.

Sig doesn't post the manual on their website. Would someone post Sig's recommended accessories? Info like servo extensions, Servo torque, etc.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Dale W
My Feedback: (4)

Guys,
I'm taking a break from the heli scene and am looking for a decent ARF Bipe. I have a ZDZ-50 (not the NG) available. Does it look like this could be fit into the Sun Dancer (it has that rear carb that may require some firewall cutting), and do you think it would have enough oomph to haul the plane around to do most aerobatics?
I used to fly mostly biplanes (I like the looks & feel), but for the last few years have been doing scale helis along with a Somethin Extra (OS 40) and a 1/4 scale Extra 330 (moki 2.1). The ZDZ50 was to go into a scale Steen Skybolt, but I haven't had the time to do much more than the fuse framing and I want to fly a bipe - now!

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:03 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Take a t look at this one here: http://www.bmeaircraft.com/html/chal...hallenger.html
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Dale W
My Feedback: (4)

Yup. Had seen that before and was thinking about it. There doesn't seem to be much feedback on how it handles on the ground or in the air. In fact, haven't seen any feedback at all. I also looked at the GP Christian Eagle, but it sounds a bit heavy and may have ground handling issues. Both the GP CE and the Sun Dancer are in the same price range, The BME Challenger is ~$100 more and i also looked at the AW 27% Ultimate (even more $).

I might do the BME if there was more positive feedback on it, but I really want something to 'just go out and fly' that's fun. I will also probably put smoke on it at some point and want something that can handle that additional weight.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:26 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Is There any feedback on the SIG.??? Or any kind of flight reports
Old 10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
rc4fun
My Feedback: (42)

I'll tell you why you don't see much feedback..........because it's sooooooo much fun to fly that there's not enough time left to sit down and type!!!

All kidding aside, this is a real kick to fly. I had my Sundancer for about four months now. It has about 35 flights on it. I put a DA-50 in it swinging a 22x10 Pro Zinger at about 6900 RPM. It has a TME SmartSmoker smoke system that really pumps out the smoke. Ground handling is excellent. Spins, flat spin and inverted flat spins are easy on high rates. Knife-edge pulls toward the wheels but is easy to mix out with a computer radio. Landings are not complicated at all. Gentle and slow when you want it to be and a real screamer when you’re buzzing the runway six feet off the ground with the smoke on!

Assembly is typical Sig quality. If you've never built a Sig ARF, you're in for a treat. Everything fits, the covering is exceptional and the manual is well written.

There has been one change to the kit that I am aware of. The two metal pieces that hold the upper wing to the cabans in the original kit were made incorrectly. The metal pieces have a threaded portion about 5/8" long that screws into the hardwood blocks in the upper wing. The threaded portion on the original metal pieces is about 1/8" in diameter. The free replacement pieces have about a 1/4" diameter. I'm sure all new kits have the correct parts in them and local hobby shops have all been sent replacement parts for the kits they have on hand and for those that have already been sold. This is an important upgrade. One plane that I read about had the top wing pulled off using the orginal parts. The good news is that the plane was landed successfully with only the bottom wing!!!

I've put mine through many blenders, snaps and tumbles with no problems!!

Here a couple of pictures.

Tom
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39464.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	182181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29777.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	182182  
Old 10-24-2004, 10:43 PM
leblanc

cool. But what I want to know is if it can hover, because I think ( I don't have the plane wet) the ailerons are a little on the side and the air dosen't it the ailerons and can't roll. It s my opignion but if you've tried it wet tell me if you can you I only need a yes or no it would really help me on my purchase.
And if you have footage of you're sundancer I would just be glad to watch it.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
rc4fun

Footage no, hover yes.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 AM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

I have been interested in a bipe and like the looks of this plane. I have never flown a bipe, but am currently flying a 29% Aeroworks Edge 540. Can any one tell me if this would be a good bipe to learn on. I know my LHS has on in stock. It has my dreul markings all over it.
Thanks for any info guys.
blue ice
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
rc4fun

In my opinion, YES! This bipe has NO bad habits. Ground handling is excellent. Keep it at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and low rates and it will fly like any mid to large size shoulder-wing aircraft. On high rates it will do any maneuver you have in mind. Smoke is awesome! You will not be disappointed in the Sig Sun Dancer. I know I sound like I work for Sig's PR firm, but I don't. I'm just a Friday/Saturday flyer who has the Sun Dancer and looks forward to flying it each week. I also have a Great Planes Patty Wagstaff Extra with an FPE 3.2, a Hanger 9 Clipped Wing Taylorcraft with a Zenoah G-26 and a Sig 1/4 Scale Sukhoi with an FPE 2.4. Most of the time, I leave the "hanger" with the Sun Dancer and a couple of electric Foamies. It's sad to hear all of those other planes whimpering as I leave, but I try to take them each out when I can.

More pictures at www.riobravosportflyers.com

Tom
Old 10-26-2004, 05:30 PM
leblanc

I've heard that zenoah engine aren't that great. But I want to know if the sun dancer will do 3D flyng with the zenoah G-62. I don't want the to buy it and not deing able to hover or do 3D aerobatics. If any do have better sugestions for planes and engines that will do 3D aerobatics please I don't mind the tips.

Keep in mind that I don't have too much money for it. I can afford this G-62 and the sundancer but not much more than the price of these two

Thank you for any of your help
Old 11-01-2004, 03:27 PM
blue ice

rc4fun, what muffler did you use on your bipe and what length stand offs did you have to use on the DA50? One more question, what servos did you use? This looks like my Christmas present to myself. I found it for 329.00 plus 25.00 shipping on the net. Dont believe I can pass up such a deal on this great looking plane.
Oops, after a little bit of reading here I did see what servos you used and did see your muffler was a DA muffler. Do you think if I used a aftermarket muffler like a Slimeline or a bisson wrap around I could get away without cutting so much of the cowling away? I stii would like to know how long your stand offs are.
Thanks, blueice.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
mori
My Feedback: (1)

how do you guys think this plane would fly with a saito 300 in it?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:23 PM
mori
My Feedback: (1)

were did you find it for 329.00?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:49 AM
rc4fun

Blueice: The standoffs are the 2-1/2" ones from DA. The firewall has a 3/4" piece of plywood attached with the center removed so that there was clearance for the carb. The 3/4" plywood and the 2-1/2" standoffs plus the motor length came to 7-1/8" which was just perfect for mounting the cowl.

I ordered the DA wrap around muffler only to find that I would have to remove nearly as much of the cowl plus about an inch from the bottom of the firewall for the muffler to clear. I think the Slimline might present the same problem. The Bisson muffler might ride a litter closer to the exhaust port and therefore give you an extra 1/2" - 3/4" of clearance on the side. I haven't tried one, so if you do, please let me know how it works out. It might be worth ordering another cowl if it goes in pretty clean.

Tom
Old 11-02-2004, 05:15 AM
blue ice

rc4fun, thats for the info. I will do a little bit of reasearch on the muffler and let you know what I find out.
mori, I sent you a pm.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:11 PM
blue ice

Tom, I noticed you used a 5735mg on your rudder. Did you have to modify the servo opening to use this giant scale servo?
PS, I just got off the phone ordering "MY SUNDANCER"!!
Old 11-02-2004, 08:03 PM
rc4fun

Blueice,

Well, I THOUGHT I was going to use the Hitec 5735MG, but when I got it and saw how big [X(] it really was, I sent it back and ordered a JR DS8611 Ultra Torque (220/260) Digital Servo. I'm pretty sure it fit in the hole with minor adjustments. I don't remember doing anythig special to get it in there. The rest of the servos are just as stated further up in this thread.

Here is a picture if the radio compartment...

[img][/img]

Here's a shot of the engine installation from the bottom looking up...

[img][/img]

If you want other pics, just let me know.

Tom

Name:	Ge95131.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	189303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75570.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	189304  
Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 PM
leblanc

will the sun dancer vertical climb with a DA50 in it.

Yes or no answer is good enough

Thank you
Old 11-04-2004, 12:13 AM
rc4fun

In one word..... Ohmygodwillitclimboutofsite!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:20 AM
blue ice

Tom, I emailed Bisson for some specs on the 9250 muffler for the DA50. Here is what they said. Expansion barrel is 2" by 5" long. Manifold is 1" by 2" with manifold block being 3/8". Tailpipes 3/4" by 5". Do you think you could take a peek and see if you think it will fit inside your cowl ol buddy. Heres a picture of it.
Thanks for all your help so far and in the near future.
Jeff

Name:	Yw66999.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	189763  
Old 11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
blue ice

I work till 3:00 am in the morning and after I get home, do some reading on the internet and other things, it is about 6:30 am when I go to bed. Today I was laying in bed about 12:30 pm thinking about getting up when there was a knock on the door. When I opened the door, to my surprise, it was the UPS man with my new Sun dancer. WOW, I only ordered it 2 days ago and Kelly had to get it from Sig himself. I would like to praise R/C'S Hobbies service and his prices on this plane. Total cost of plane and shipping was 348.34. Cheapest anywhere else I have seen was 399.00 plus shipping. If you guys need something give Kelly a email and see what he can do for you. Heres a link to his site. http://www.rcshobbieslaportein.com/
Now I wish I had my engine and radio gear so I could get started. I am very impressed with the quality of this Arf looking it over. It even has Robart hinges already mostly installed. I was dreading drilling for those but now all I have to do is countersink the holes a little.
First swap of the season in the area is next week. Looks like I need to go and see if there are any deals on what I may need to purchase for this project. I told myself this was going to be a sloooooooooow project to do over winter, but we all get kind of excited when we see new balsa and covering.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:51 PM
rc4fun

Jeff,

No problem. I'll make some measurements when I get home tonight.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.