Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

building the aeroworks edge 540 36% from scratch!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

building the aeroworks edge 540 36% from scratch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 PM
jvanoy3
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building the aeroworks edge 540 36% from scratch!

Hello,
My name is James Vanoy and i have just started the build on my aeroworks edge 540 36% from scratch. I have desided to put the zdz 80 on it to, i was going to put the twin on it but it ways more and does not have the same power of the single. The newer zdz's have a counter balince in it so it is almost the same as a twin, it will not shake as bad. But any way, I have the plans for the fuse but i do not have the plans nor' timplets for the wings or stabs. I called aero-works and the where major bleep's, letts just put it that away. The guy said he had the timplets that i needed but he would not send me copy and would not tell me why. Please if anyone can help me out, I will be more then wecome to do what ever i need to do to get some copys, PLEASE.
One more thing is, I would love to see some pic... of these planes and no how they fly.
Thank You All
Old 07-16-2004, 11:32 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: building the aeroworks edge 540 36% from scratch!

Well I can kinda see why he was a little unwilling to help you. You are wanting to copy the plane that they put theit R&D into without compensating them for it.

I think its great that you are wanting to scratch build a plane, I just wouldn't expect the people who sell what you want to copy to help you out.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:20 AM
davidmor

No offence, but that is pretty gutsy to call a company and ask for copies of plans so you can do a "bootleg" copy of their product. That is kind of like asking Chevrolet for plans to a car so you can build your own. Aeroworks has spent a lot of time and money designing and testing airplane designs and they need to re-coup their costs and make a profit by selling kits and ARF's. IMO Aeroworks has no responsibility to give or sell you just the plans and would not be smart to do so. I have the same thing happen to me on occasion. I am an electrical contractor and have homeowners call me from time to time for a 'free estimate' when in reality, they are trying to get me to show them how to do the work so they can do it themselves. I find that to be tacky and I don't play along. I give them just enough information to make a decision whether or not to hire my company but not enough to do it themselves. I spent the time going to school, getting the licenses, not to mention the costs of being in business and should be compensated for my work. If they want to do it themselves, then they need to invest the time and money in the training (R&D if you will). Sorry for the rant, this is a sore spot for me![sm=punching.gif]

I encourage you in your scratch building effort, but don't expect Aeroworks to help you cut into their income. I also wouldn't expect that anyone here would copy their plans for you. That would be copyright infringement.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:15 AM
jvanoy3

Hey,
I understand what you all are saying and my grandfather also owns a air conditioning bussiness and i no what you all mean. People want to do this stuff for them selfs. But the thing is is that aeroworks dont make the plans for these planes anymore. They are selling me all of the stuff that i need for this plane except for the wings and stabs. So we told them if they have a set of plans or timplets for the wings and stabs that we would be more then glad to buy them off of them. I just dont see why they are selling me everything else but those to thing. We told the guy we would not even care if the timplets were copyed by hand, but i am willing to buy the plans or timplets for the wings and stabs from anybody even if they are copys. But i am srry to say i did not start the form to talk about aerowork, they are making a living just like all of the rest of us so lets stay on trace and talk about the plane it self.
I would really love to see some pic... of this plane if anyone had some.
If i do not end up getting the plans, I have a set of built up wings i will probly make and use wich is not too bad.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:44 PM
jvanoy3

hey you all,
Here are some pic... of the first day building!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41532.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	154976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11292.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	154977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60277.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	154978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34189.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	154979  
Old 07-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

If you are building from scratch from their plans, then I don't see any problems, that is if you are building just for yourself.. I have done so with the Bob Godfrey in 1991, and yes they were very accomodating.

On the other hand, get the plans from Wendell Hostetler. They have a plans built Edge of about the size you are looking for.

Edge 540

Roger
Old 07-19-2004, 05:35 PM
davidmor

ORIGINAL: james111v

But the thing is is that aeroworks dont make the plans for these planes anymore. They are selling me all of the stuff that i need for this plane except for the wings and stabs. So we told them if they have a set of plans or timplets for the wings and stabs that we would be more then glad to buy them off of them. I just dont see why they are selling me everything else but those to thing. We told the guy we would not even care if the timplets were copyed by hand, but i am willing to buy the plans or timplets for the wings and stabs from anybody even if they are copys.

That makes a big difference. I didn't realize that you were buying everything from Aeroworks and they knew what you were doing. In a way, they are approving of you copying their design. Sorry I jumped on you without knowing all the facts. Hopefully someone here can help you out with at least some good pictures.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:42 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Here's what you will end up with...
I substituted all the kit sheeting, used carbon fiber wherever I could, wing tube, spinner, pushrods ect. 24.2lbs with a QS-106. Best flying plane I have had yet. Plane was lost due to a battery failure. Run redundant packs, I learned my lesson. Will build another. Plane is the same as the T except for the hatch cover and turtle deck. I stole the cover scheme. walt

Name:	He97143.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	155446  
Old 07-20-2004, 09:56 AM
wagas

So if the guy is scratch building a design based on a companies product soley for himself then what does it say about the company who's product is somebody else's design all together and makes money off of it. Heh Heh

Keep up the good work, keep posting pics and giving details. I love reading on projects like this!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:00 PM
jvanoy3

hey everyone,
The fuse is almost done! All i have left to do is to finish the foam hatch cover and the turdel deck and back tail wheel block. I would just like to thank you all for putting up with all of my questions and comments. I will keep you post on how everything goes.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:07 AM
jvanoy3

hey you all. Here are some pic... of the finished fuse, well almost finished fuse!

Name:	Jg14013.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	156489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85254.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	156490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64791.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	156491  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:09 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I have the original version that has the flat plate stab. They don't make that kit anymore either. I don't see that harm in copying a kit that is no longer made. If they still had them I probably would buy one, but have thought about scratching one myself.

If you get any info on the wing let me know too please. Did your copy of the plan have all of the templates for the formers?

Thanks

Rob
Old 07-24-2004, 09:59 PM
jvanoy3

Hey every one,
Yea it had the timplets to the formers and stuff but i have desided to have a company make the wings and the stuf for me. I dont want to make that stuff and it end up one being longer then the other and that kind of stuff.
Here is a pic... of the fuse now!

Name:	Jh16400.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	156954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28092.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	156955