Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

The worst feeling ever.......................

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The worst feeling ever.......................

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The worst feeling ever.......................

Tailwheel Pilot:
I am sorry about your loss I know what it feels like believe me!!

jw637362
No, no metal to metal the servo arm was a fiber upgrade, the rod was metal but the ball link was plastic so there was no metal to metal connection, I just dont understand what happened the plane ran perfect as I ran two tanks through the engine to break it in up down the RPM scale no problem, a four hundred foot radio check no problem, but a few seconds in the air and no throttle response at all, strange, oh well, I wonder how a Yac would be with the DZ 140?? I sent the engine to YS on Monday should have it back in two weeks or so...
Old 08-04-2004, 12:25 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We race YS Engines, I have seen this happen several times. The plastic arm attached to the carb either loosens up or is not tight enough to begin with, This allows the linkage to work BUT does not move the carbs throttle body.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I agree with Geistware, I think the airframe should have been able to sustain a full throttle flight. I would talk to Horizon if you havent already. True it wouldnt be advisable with that engine to run around at full throttle but then again the airframe should handle it (IMO). I once had my linkage come off on a YS 120 and the throttle barrel closed on its own...maybe the DZ is different though, I have not seen one.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:39 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Just a quick question on how you would be able to determin that the weld came loose on the battery pack after such a hard crash? I have been running expert batteries for years and have a couple dozen of them in use right now in 6 40% aircraft. I have not ever had a problem.

Chris
Old 08-06-2004, 08:16 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: aviti
I think the airframe should have been able to sustain a full throttle flight. I would talk to Horizon if you havent already. True it wouldnt be advisable with that engine to run around at full throttle but then again the airframe should handle it (IMO).
That would depend on what prop he was running wouldn't it? 6 pitch = no problem, 10 pitch = big problem. Large control surfaces + speed = flutter and aileron flutter usually means wing failure.

Jim
Old 08-06-2004, 08:27 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

I have since been able to get a hold of Mike McConville (thanks to hi forum here at RCU) and he informed me there were some planes with a wing defect, he gave me the number to get in touch with the customer service department, we will see how they handle it, I would be so stoked to get a new plane (one with out the wing defect) I really liked the way my plane looked and think it had great possibility with the power combo!!
BTW YS got a hold of me today the engine will cost 350 to repair, the crank, head, case, injector, all need to be replaced they were very cool no charge for the labor, and a big discount on the parts they are pretty much putting a new engine together for me, great customer service!!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:46 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

The current batch of Pattern Planes are all going to pretty large control surfaces.

I fly my DZ full throttle most of the time and have never worried about structural integrety, and these planes are weighing 10 lb's, not 11.5. Our common prop for pattern is a `16.5X12 wide apc.

Not to mention, we clocked a Hyde Out with a 140L flying over 150mph straight and level 4 years ago, or so. So again, the airframe should not have failed due to the DZ, as long as it is rated for a 140. I'm not familiar with this plane or recommended set-up.

Ed