Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

8103 help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:51 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8103 help please!!

If you read my previous post (the worst feeling ever) you know I put my 1/4 scale H9 Edge 540 in the ground on its maiden flight, now going through my radio I find it was set on PPM using a JR R700 FM slimline receiver, was my radio set wrong? I am new to the PCM PPm and fm functions of this radio, before I had and Airtronics VG 6000 it worked great but couldn't mix dual elevator servos.
Can you guys please explain to me about the type of receiver, receiver crystal that should be used with which setting, thank you so much!
Also I bought a Hitec dual conversion FM channel 54 receiver crystal (same channel as the radio) for my JR R600 and it doesn't work is this the wrong crystal??
Sorry for all the questions but I am having a hard time understanding the manual...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24112.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	159909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62230.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	159910  
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 8103 help please!!

Sorry for your loss.

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't sound like your modulation was set incorrectly. PPM is the same as FM. In the JR radio, you won't see an option for FM. Instead, it is listed as PPM. I don't have the same model radio as you but I do have a JR computer radio and the three options are SPCM, ZPCM and PPM (FM).

I would say that this particular concern is unfounded. Good luck and I hope you find out what happened. I just hate it when I don't know what the problem was.

Dave
Old 08-02-2004, 06:11 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

The 700 receiver is a ppm receiver (FM) it wouldn't have even worked if set for the pcm. Your hitec won't work becuase of the positive, and negative shift. I am not really sure how to explain this but JR, and airtronics, are the same, and futaba, and Hitec are the same. If you ever have a throttle lock on full again like your edge did, you have to keep the airspeed down. You can do this by doing amnuvers such as rolling, and climbing and flat spinning, until you run out of fuel. It might have saved your edge. It will happen again. I don't know how many times I have been to the feild and watched people's throttle get stuck. I even had it stick on my 35% edge one time at about 3/4 throttle. I just kept the airplane rolling, and tumbling until the motor died. Landed safely.

You learn from experience, and the problem with that is you have to "experience" things.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
1fish

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure it was set right but just wanted to confirm, the hitec crystal I bought is for airtronics/JR I guess it is no good I will return it.
Which receivers should I buy to take advantage of the PCM mode??
Also I did try to maneuver the plane but by that time it was going too fast it would have snapped even earlier, the YS DZ 140 is an amazing power source you should have seen that airframe shudder even in a shallow banking turn, combination of over powering and poorly designed airframe couldn't stand up to the throttle lock ..
Old 08-02-2004, 08:22 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

sorry 4 your loss man
Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

If you wanted to get rid of that beautiful edge to buy the new 33% H9 Edge you could have gave it to somebody before you adjusted it ,,,,,[8D] just kidding everyone hates to crash it is just part of the game, I always just look at it as,, "at least I was sitting in it"[]
Old 08-02-2004, 09:25 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

jongurley
i do the same the folks tell me i take it so well
Old 08-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

1fish, your Hitec crystal should be used in a Hitec receiver that is set up for JR/Airtronics. This will work fine with a JR8103 Tx on PPM.
For your JR Rx, you'd need a JR crystal.
I'm using my 8103 with 3 JR PCM Rx's, 5 Hitec Rx's, and 1 Airtronics Rx and they all work fine.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: Airbike-RCU
I'm using my 8103 with 3 JR PCM Rx's, 5 Hitec Rx's, and 1 Airtronics Rx and they all work fine.
Shoot Dan, you've got more planes than I thought, but they're all so tiiiiiiiiinyyyyyyyyyyyyy

DKjens
Old 08-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: capthis

The 700 receiver is a ppm receiver (FM) it wouldn't have even worked if set for the pcm. Your hitec won't work becuase of the positive, and negative shift. I am not really sure how to explain this but JR, and airtronics, are the same, and futaba, and Hitec are the same.
Actually Hitec manufactures receivers that work with both positive and negative shift. I fly with a JR 8103, and about half of my receivers are Hitec. You just have to make sure that when you buy a Hitec receiver it is compatible with JR/Airtronics. The crystal has nothing to do with the shift selection of the receiver, it simply dials the receiver in to a particular frequency.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:07 PM
capthis

ORIGINAL: 1fish

Also I bought a Hitec dual conversion FM channel 54 receiver crystal (same channel as the radio) for my JR R600 and it doesn't work is this the wrong crystal??
Sorry for all the questions but I am having a hard time understanding the manual...
Why would you buy a Hitec crystal for a JR receiver? They can't be that much cheaper?? Your 600 is FM, and I beleive single conversion. I thought all crystals were created equal, but I don't understand why you would mix match brands.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: capthis

ORIGINAL: 1fish

Why would you buy a Hitec crystal for a JR receiver? They can't be that much cheaper?? Your 600 is FM, and I beleive single conversion. I thought all crystals were created equal, but I don't understand why you would mix match brands.

Oops, I didn't catch that, you should never mix crystal and receiver brands. Crystals are fairly specific in their electrical characteristics, and will only operate properly in the specific electrical environment that they are designed for. A JR receiver should not work at all with a Hitec crystal.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:51 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

You JR R700 FM slimline receiver is single conversion (almost all JR are) - you need a single conversion crystal for it and you Hitech dual conversion crystal will not work – it is for dual conversion receivers.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:45 PM
1fish

The crystal in question was not part of the crash just a different question it wouldent work at all in the JR I wasnt aware of the difference, so it will work in my Airtronics/JR recievers made by Hitec, thanks again guys!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how ya feel, I fly the same radio and love it.
Had many flights on my Moki 210 powered Edge 540, I was about to right split'S and the plane went into a left spin and nothing I tried could stop it from going in from 100 feet.
Had to be an outside HIT because all's been well with the radio for the past year or so.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:18 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

It will work in Hitec RX's that are compatible with a JR signal AND are DUAL CONVERSION. There is a BIG difference in the way the signal is converted in a dual conversion RX vs. a single conversion RX. It MIGHT work in a JR/Airtronics dual conversion RX, BUT it is not ideal. Stick to your brands with crystals.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:34 AM
nchrome

Sorry to hear about your loss but on the 8103 just for my frame of mind did you range check before you tryed to fly. The reason for the dumb question is on my 8103 all my planes flew fine then one day I lost my P-47. Every body said that I stalled the wings. Which is so if you do a 3D move with a warbird. Which I did not make the stick moves to get into. Later I was range checking my Christian Eagle and couldn't get more than 20 steps away with the engine running this is with the antanna collapsed. Every body had their suggestions and I tryed them. Most all failed except for two things. One I put the reciever antena outside the fuse this gave me about 25 steps. Then out of courosity I took out my single stick JR Century and range tested and got 75 steps with low batteries. So I took out the modual and put it in the 8103 and got 105 steps. Guess what the modual is bad. Heck of a way to find out though. But just out of fun put the radio gear out of your plane back together and range test it and see what you get. As far as the crystals are conserned they are rite about them so maybe you should change that before the range test.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:34 AM
capthis

When taking the module out of the 8103 you need to be very careful doing this. There are pins that are easily broke off their board in the radio. I watched a plane go in do to this with a futaba or hitec radio. JR is very similar in design in this area, and if you take your mad in and out all the time you just constantly weaken these pins. One of the mag columnists wrote about this some time ago. I have had my 8103 for about 3 years now, and have only removed the module twice. And have range checked it very well after removing it. Just an FYI
Old 08-14-2004, 08:17 PM
nchrome

capthis your right about the pins but on my 8103 this was the first time on taking out the modual. Again the reason was what I had found out with my old century on the range test which confermed about the modual going bad. A defenate first for me and I've had mine for about four years now. It still won't repair my TF P-47[:@]. But this is why she went into a 3D mode after take off and in a gental bank to the right. Then the tail just drops and there she hung for about 3 second ( or as in the world of panic a life time) Naturally in this mode your defenately going to stall the wings out(a fellow flyer says I stalled the wings out and thats why she went into the 3D hover) you be the judge on when the wings stalled out.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:05 PM
capthis

ORIGINAL: nchrome

Naturally in this mode your defenately going to stall the wings out(a fellow flyer says I stalled the wings out and thats why she went into the 3D hover) you be the judge on when the wings stalled out.

there's always that one "expert" at every field isn't there? Sorry about your plane. The unfortuante thing is they are all going to crash at some point.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:22 AM
nchrome

capthis since the crash I have the wing just about totally repaired and plan on adding bomb drops on it. The fuse only suffered a dent in the back half where the wing broke off and swung around[X(]. And the cowel naturally the prop. I checked the engine and the propshaft seem to be strait. I will later take the plug out and put a mike on it and see for sure. A few scratches and one cowel mount broke. So hopefully I will have her repaird and tested by the time I go to Taylor Mo. this year. We will see though.