Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Jumped in with both feet.......advice?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Jumped in with both feet.......advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
jessh1969
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped in with both feet.......advice?

Ok, here's the deal. I saw a plane and had to have it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=6399

I have a hanger 9 T-34 and GP stuka that I am flying now, but they are babies compared to this plane. I am a pretty good pilot, but more into scale flight (ie not hotdogging) Did I take too big a step? I am confident in flying the planes I have....My T-34 has a Saito 72 and is pretty quick. Here was my thinking....

1)bigger flies better, right?
2)don't let the size scare you, it'll be stable, right?
3)I have some good friends to help (they don't know they volunteered yet.)
4) I am quite possibly an idiot....

So, I have been reading up on gas, but what's the real story? do I HAVE to hand start

I have all the glow stuff, but what different equipment do I need for gas? Is there any "Gas for idiots"website?

thanks!

Jess
Old 09-20-2004, 04:39 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Jumped in with both feet.......advice?

Jess, you made a good deal. Since I went to giant gas several years ago, I've only kept a few of my favorite slimers. You can fly all weekend for $1.50
If you put in a G-62 with spring start, it usually means a single recoil fire-up.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:20 PM
jessh1969

Well, one thing...I am excited I bought the whole outfit. It has a brison/sachs 5.8 on it. I have to admit I am I little nervous about hand starting something that large...there is on guy at our club who flys big stuff w/ gas, and it doesn't look that bad?!

Jess
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jessh1969

Well, one thing...I am excited I bought the whole outfit. It has a brison/sachs 5.8 on it. I have to admit I am I little nervous about hand starting something that large...there is on guy at our club who flys big stuff w/ gas, and it doesn't look that bad?!

Jess
Solicit his help. Most of us gassers are happy to help out anyone just starting in gas. Welcome to the REAL RC Flyers Club.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Icebird

You don't have to worry much about hand starting. The gassers aren't like glow engines that backfire all the time. The timing is adjusted so that it is not nearly as far advanced at idle, so backfires are MUCH less likely. They're actually pretty easy to start once you get over the fear and get used to them.

Jim
Old 09-20-2004, 06:20 PM
davidmor

ORIGINAL: jessh1969

Jess
Jess,
That plane is a beauty! You will love it. Starting a big gas engine by hand isn't all that scary or difficult. Gassers start pretty easily and once you get the hang of it, it will be second nature. I start mine with the prop / compression set at the 1:00 position and from the front. The plane is either held by a helper, or tied down with all slack pulled out of the rope before attempting a start. I usually go through this routine: Ignition OFF, choke on, full throttle - flip 10 times. Ignition ON, choke on, trottle on idle - flip till it pops. Usually 1 or 2 flips. Ignition on, choke off, throttle at idle - flip till it starts usually 2-3 flips. I wear a big thick leather firemans glove to start EVERY TIME! It really is easy, and after the first few times, the nervousness goes away. As a safety, you might want to have the freind who flys big stuff help you out the first few times. Also, I always sit my radio on the ground behind and to the right of me when starting. That way I can't accidentally bump the throttle while trying to start. Always start the plane at idle. NEVER AT FULL THROTTLE! Get a routine that works for you and your engine and follow it each and every time. That way you know what to expect, and your safety margin goes way up.

Good luck with your new plane and have fun!
Old 09-20-2004, 06:22 PM
KidVermin

If you feel that uneasy about the glove trick and have at least $125.00 left, you might look into the Sullivan Megatron starter. It's a two fisted 12 volt starter that will spin over that 5.8
I bought mine when I began gas with a 4.2 chainsaw conversion; made my elbow and shoulder feel much better since it didn't have a recoil spring and was stubborn at times.
You did it right by getting the whole package.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

I thinkyou done good when you jumped in with 2 feets. When i first started the giant scale i jumped in with 1 feet, and i wasn't totally commited. Then i got a 46FX and that changed that. Let me tell you, i was out of control in the giant scale arena. My friend Pencil Shaving always had to say, OK scole, this intensity level is just too high for our own goods, let's drop it down a notch or two, just a notch or two. Thank goodness i listened to him or i may not be here for us to enjoy all this excitment. Just remember, if thinks get a little too intense, just drop it down a notch or two.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:58 PM
PencilShavings

fuc k you scole
Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 AM
jessh1969

The funny thing is I am building a TF P-39...I really don't like to build so it's taking a long time.....this plane was just what I had been looking for, just bigger

Does wingloading work out the same way on larger planes? My T-34 has a pretty high wing loading @ about 31oz/sq foot. She flies quick and straight, but lands a bit hot....I am hoping this one will fly much the same.

What is involved in adding smoke? I probably won't get into that right away, at least until after I get comfortable flying her.

I am hoping the larger wheel and retracts will work better off grass than my t-34's....I finally fiberglassed the nose gear rails after the broke for the second time when I hit a small rut.

Jess

PS thanks for all the encouragement. I know the "pucker factor" will be pretty high on the first few flights...does everyone's hands shake on maiden flights? My son laughs because he can see the antenna shaking....
Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 AM
KidVermin

If the seller was correct saying it weighed 23 lbs and 103" span, the wing loading will be lighter than most 1/4 to 1/3 scale planes. With that airfoil, as in most racers, it surely will land hot. For smoke, you need to check and see if he used a smoke muffler with an inlet nipple for the fluid. For the first few flights, raise both ailerons about 3/16" to create washout and help prevent tip stall.

PS: If you have any time off this weekend, try to come up to Gardner, Ks. for the US Scalemasters contest, Friday thru Sunday. You'll see scale work you won't believe. The airport is on 56 hiwy about 15 miles west of Olathe.
http://www.rcbarnstormers.org/