Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dave Patrick 40% Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick 40% Edge 540

Hi everyone...I came across a great guy at the field selling a Dave Patrick 40% Edge 540T he is selling it. I researched for the past month and found some great info and no bad info at all!! I was first attracted to the Composite Arfs but for the price the Dave Patrick is bigger and probably better from what it looks. This one in particular has 10 Hitec 5945s and I will be replacing the rudder servos with 5735s if I end up getting this plane. IT has a DA150 on stock mufflers and a 32 x 10 Menz Prop. I would really appreciate any info anybody here on RCU might have. The plane is aroudn the size of the JTEC Extra a little bigger than a Carden with monster Ailerons and Elevators! It should be a real floater at it's size and weight!

The Edge features:

122 in. wing span
118 in. length

Seeing that this plane has a big wing area it should be a floater! I know that Dave Patrick had this desgined in fact to do IMAC and 3D...It's more like an Extra for IMAC!!! What do you all think of this plane. Even if you don't have it what do you think??

Dan
Old 10-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Dave Patrick 40% Edge 540

I flew a buddies at Joe Nall, what a sweetheart of an airplane. It is by the far the best looking Edge 540T on the maket nobody out there comes close. It seems that all these ARF makers design an airplane and have no idea what to call it so they slap a big ol' Edge 540T logo on it. The DP 540T is a great all around airplane the 150 gives it plenty of power to hover and do any 3D Maneuver.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Lew

I have been flying mine all summer and I love it. Mostly flying intermediate IMAC and just getting real comfortable with the plane. It really is a sweetheart. I have a 3W-140 TOC on JMB Cannisters and it has plent of power. Not doing much 3D with it yet but it flies great Low and Slow. Knife edge spins and elavators are beautiful. I'm also using a Mejzlik 28.5X12 3 blade. The thing is as quiet as a church mouse with no loss of power. I could talk all day about the plane but better not.

Lew
Old 10-06-2004, 02:52 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Please do...I would like to know how it compares to an extra because in reality you never see any edge competiting in IMAC..I've talked to you before in PMs, but see I just don't understand why not many people have this monster?!? I think that most people just want a pro built Carden or something, but hey I know it sohuld fly great espeially since your flying intermediate. MY friend John Banks said he met you a while back...BTW this plane is Craig's (he said you have him tips while building it). I really can't wait to get my hands on one! Have an awesome week man :-)

Dan
Old 10-06-2004, 02:53 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

O yea, how does it knife edge LEW? I really was wonderign because the rudder looked small but I hear it is more htan enough what's your opinion?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Oh yeah Knife Edge is no problem at all. I have the Joe Nall DVD from 03 I will get you some footage off that of Dave Patrick Flying his sometime this week.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Lew

Mike McConville set mine up for me (control settings and radio) , Mike and John Glezellis flew it at Clinton earlier in the spring. Knife edges are great, and flat spins are easy to enter and exit. I was disapointed that Glezellis didn't fly his at the Masters but Dave said they got the plane to him too late to practice. Hope to see him with it soon. Mine is a tad heavy with the heavy 140 and cannisters but doesn't seem to effect much except waterfalls. Probably a 2 bade prop would clear that up. The quality is outstanding, over 150 flights and only one balsa brace broke (stuck my hand in it not paying attention picking it up) -- did I mention that it is "B I G".

Lew
Old 10-06-2004, 05:41 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Thanks a lot guys! Did you fly t without the KE mixed out, if so how's the coupling? I am very interested. Must do ncie rollign ahrriers with the light wingloading and huge ailerons. I've seen DP's in person at the WRAM and Craig's right next to me...it sure is a big plane! My dad is really excited too and he wants me to buy it!

I worked hard this summer and it looks like it may pay off

Dan
Old 04-09-2006, 10:47 PM
gpw4653
My Feedback: (118)

Hi Lew, do you have any pics of the 540 build? If you do, could you post them or email them to me? Can you tell me the cg. and rec. control throws, Thanks Gerald [email protected]
Old 04-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Lew

No Glo - Did the build on my Patrick, maybe he'll jump in here with the pics. I'll look for mine also and let you know.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

I am interested in this aircraft as well. I have been contemplating the DPM 40% Edge and would like to see some build pics as well if you can find them. I spent a a part of the day yesterday looking for threads regarding the DPM Edge and then this thread pops up!

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 AM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I'd like to see some video. The price is right on this big plane.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

What is the weight and wing area of this bird?