Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 Super Stearman 8ft ws

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 PM
wrbirch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/4 Super Stearman 8ft ws

I bought a built 8ft Super Stearman from a retired pilot, it's built up but I have to install control equipment and cover, Started covering with super coverite cloth. using G-62 gaser. Plans were from magazine 1979 Don Godfrey design.
Anyone build this or have any suggestions, please leave them.
Thanks
Bill
Old 10-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Herb Brown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Super Stearman 8ft ws

I think that you will really like your Super Stearman if you can keep the flying weight below thirty pounds. In my opinion, the G-62 will be marginal in power for any weight above that.
I have a 1/4 scale stearman (trainer version) with a Sachs 3.7 for power and a flying weight of 27 pounds that flies well but slightly limited in vertical ability. I am presently building a 1/4 scale Super Stearman version with a 4.5 cu.in. Zenoah twin for power and hope to keep the flying weight below 32 pounds. Both models built from J&D plans.
Good luck on your project.

Building is fun ----------Maintenance is a chore!
Old 10-08-2004, 03:44 PM
wrbirch

Thanks Herb,
I don't know what the weight will be but trying to keep it light as possable. I just might wait till i get it covered and painted before purchasing engine, Just in case.
Thanks again
Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 PM
BobS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrbirch,
I built a Godfrey Super Stearman 20-25 years ago. Terrible plans, but I got it done and flew it at 28# with a Kioritz engine(no longer around). Was marginal in flight. Got one of the first G-62s. The plane flew again at 31#. It flew o. k. but definitely needed more power. I would recommend something larger than a G-62. I kept it for about 3 yrs and then sold it. Be sure and brace the tail feathers with wires, I had the stab crack coming out of a loop. I landed the plane safely and added a Dubro set of wires. Hope this provides a little insight for you.

Bob S
Old 10-09-2004, 07:05 PM
wrbirch

Thanks Bob,
Guess I'll go looking for a bigger engine.
Bill