Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 01:36 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Ralph- there are two places to get a very light header - Bennett (B&B in Indiana) sells a header (i.e. straight pipe), and there is a guy on ebay that sells a home-made whacker muffler for the G26 for about $25-$28 with removable pipes. Cut the pipes short or leave them off completely and its about 2 oz!

Oh its loud though!
DP
Old 01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Ralph,

I saw one of your turned down cylinder motors on here somewhere a while back. I have a question for you. Are you doing this on a rotary table? I have a mill and a lathe and I'm a decent hobby machinist. Your picture got me thinking... There was a crashed 3W24 with a bent crank on another board. Thought I could straighten the crank and turn the cylinder down a bit to reduce the weight.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
David_Moen

DP, does the Graptech gear give you any more prop clearance? I've read about Graphtec gear delaminating, ever run into that yourself? Which "Ultra Lite" wheels did you get?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the Morris Jerry's Big Boy and then I stumbled across this thread. (I really don't want to go back to glow) Hummmmm....My wife is going to be upset--(again) Tell me more about this tuned pipe for the G26 and Ralph, how much would your electric conversion take off of the weight of the stock 26? Would the weight be a wash? (heavier pipe-but-no magneto on engine)
Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The pipe is from Mac's Products, for 25-30 cc engines...I can weigh it tomorrow...By the time you pay $125 for a conversion and about the same for a pipe you could get a bigger engine and have some $$ left over...
I make my own ignitions and machined parts so the cost for me is relatively inexpensive, except for the pipe...[8D]
Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: David_Moen

DP, does the Graptech gear give you any more prop clearance? I've read about Graphtec gear delaminating, ever run into that yourself? Which "Ultra Lite" wheels did you get?

The graphtech gear gave me about 1" more clearance with the stock wheels, but the wheels weighed too much.. so I went to 2" foam wheels so, net zero prop clearance change. No, the gear won't delaminate.. that is a wives tale. I have Graphtech Gear on all my planes, and not one has ever had an issue. I pancaked stick #1 once while doing harrier landings on the deck.. the gear plate broke off but the gear was fine.. A little epoxy and 40 flights later the gear still looks like new.

The larger gear (i.e. 33%+ ) had some issues with de-lam early on, but graphtech changed the formula and weave so now they are a lot stronger.

You would have to crater the plane to break these gear...

I flew my clipped wing stick this week I removed one bay from each side.. it shaved 4 oz and at just over 9.5 pounds, the plane flies the same as it did pre-clip! Rolls are tighter and faster and I can still get really S-L-O-W... ! Hovers are insane.. I can park it , then about 1/2 throttle rocket out of the pocket! I can almost flat spin now too.. not quite though, that wing is just too fat!

DP
Old 01-27-2005, 06:14 PM
AJF--2

While we are on the subject of power vs weight, how do you folks think a Brison (not that much more money--$374 plus $39 muffler) 2.4 or else the Roto 35 would work? The Brison is 9 oz less than the G26--of course you have to add the muffler and battery, but it still should be a significant difference.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:49 AM
AJF--2

WOW--did I kill this thread?[X(]
Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: AJF--2

While we are on the subject of power vs weight, how do you folks think a Brison (not that much more money--$374 plus $39 muffler) 2.4 or else the Roto 35 would work? The Brison is 9 oz less than the G26--of course you have to add the muffler and battery, but it still should be a significant difference.

Look at post 50.
Fox 2.4 Engine.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 AM
AJF--2

Thanks Doug. I remember the post but not much said about it. Also, since yours was "pre-US Lite" I am a bit concerned that I may be comparing apples to oranges. I love the bashing job you did--Kewl

My thoughts are these--
If I were to use the Brison instead of the G26 is there a need to move the firewall-since I have 9 oz less hanging off of the firewall? I have some Li-ons to help with the battery weight and since I would have to buy a muffler anyway--wheather it be one for the G26 or the Brison. I go to a lot of flyins and it is rarely that I see anybody using the stock muffler from the G23/G26.

A while back I had the H9 Super Cub with the Brison 2.4 with a 20/6 prop and it was a blast to fly. You could do scale like flight or else you could do super slo-mo aerobatics. Since the Cub was designed for the G26 and the Brison was a very easy substitution, I had the same thoughts here.

I am well versed in "throttle management". I did not mean to take the thread in a different direction, but I just sold a plane and have a few dollars, so price is not that much of a deal at all. Please, I welcome ALL thoughts-good and bad.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:26 AM
famousdave

If you go with the Brison you still will want to cut 4" off the nose, then jam the ignition and battery up against the firewall as far forward as possible. With the ignition battery and switch / reg your brison will weigh almost as much as the Zenoah but it will have a lot more power.

Basically, what you are doing is eliminating the need to move the servos aft (and thereby add the weight of servo trays and pushrods in the tail) On my sub 10 pound stick I took out the stock servo tray and put in carbon fiber. I also used sullivan nyrods for rudder and elevator.. 100+ flights and they are good as new.

Whatever you choose to do, that stick oughtta haul with that brison on it!

DP
Old 01-28-2005, 11:29 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks Doug. I remember the post but not much said about it. Also, since yours was "pre-US Lite" I am a bit concerned that I may be comparing apples to oranges. I love the bashing job you did--Kewl

My thoughts are these--
If I were to use the Brison instead of the G26 is there a need to move the firewall-since I have 9 oz less hanging off of the firewall? I have some Li-ons to help with the battery weight and since I would have to buy a muffler anyway--wheather it be one for the G26 or the Brison. I go to a lot of flyins and it is rarely that I see anybody using the stock muffler from the G23/G26.

A while back I had the H9 Super Cub with the Brison 2.4 with a 20/6 prop and it was a blast to fly. You could do scale like flight or else you could do super slo-mo aerobatics. Since the Cub was designed for the G26 and the Brison was a very easy substitution, I had the same thoughts here.

I am well versed in "throttle management". I did not mean to take the thread in a different direction, but I just sold a plane and have a few dollars, so price is not that much of a deal at all. Please, I welcome ALL thoughts-good and bad.
Very good point!!
I need to stop coming on these forums before I have finished my coffee!!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
ChrisAttebery

There were a few guys that used the Brison in the other USL thread. Do a search abd read up.

Chris

Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 PM
ChrisAttebery

Hey Rick,

Did you finish your USL yet? All I have left is the flap/aileron linkages and routing the antenna. I should be able to get out to the field on Sunday and fire it up.

Where did yours wind up balancing? Mine is a little tail heavy, CG is around 5" from the leading edge. I might add some lead to the nose for the first couple flights.

I'm getting excited!

Chris

ORIGINAL: trroscoe

Chris

I finally got my engine mounted. I printed the pictures that you posted and copied your design. Thanks for posting the pictures they were a lot of help. I cut out the top of the fuse and made a hatch like yours. I still need to mount the ignition and radio gear. I should have it done by this weekend. I haven't flown for 3 weeks and really need a fix. I got me a new Menz S 18x8 prop for the 3W. I talked to Bobby at cactus aviation and this was the size that he recommended. How far have you gotten on yours? Did you mount the servo's in the stock location or move them to the tail? What are you using for batteries. I have one 2700 6V Nimh for the reciever and an 1800 4.8V Nimh for the ignition. I am using Hitec HS 475 BB servo's for everything but the throttle. I will use a standard mini for the throttle. What are you using for a kill switch on your plane. The 3W swithch is like 30 bucks at cactus. I may use one from graeat planes like I used on my wildhare. I set that one up to work with a micro servo so you can kill it with your radio.

Rick
Old 02-05-2005, 12:22 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Chris

I haven't been in town for the last 2 weeks so no progress to report. I have to go to a wrestling tournament tomorrow and have to work on Sunday. Next week I am going to finish both of the planes that I have on the bench. Along with the USL 120 I have a Wildhare extra special with a brand new DA-50 sitting on the bench waiting for me to finish. I only cut 2 3/4 inches off of the nose of mine so it should balance OK. Did you mount the servo's in the tail or in the stock location? I am still trying to decide where to mount them. I like them in the tail on the USL 60 and might do it this way on the USL. On Monday I need to get my butt busy and finish this plane. I want to fly next weekend. Keep me posted on the progress and please post a flight report and some pictures. The pictures of the firewall were very helpfull thanks.

Rick
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM
ChrisAttebery

Hey Guys,

Good news: I finished up my USl on Saturday. I didn't get it weighed, but it balances about 5.25" back from the leading edge of the wing. I guess 3.5" was too nuch to cut off. I read in the original USL thread that some guys had their CG as far abck as 5.5" so I'm not too concerned.

Bad news: I spent about an hour on Saturday trying to get it started and another hour or so at the field yesterday with no luck. It flooded both days and it seems like I might not be getting a good spark. I posted it in the Gas Engines forum.

Hopefully I can get it worked out this week and get it in the air next weekend.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62644.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	226051  
Old 02-08-2005, 01:33 PM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

Hello, bumped into this thread by accident! How's it goin Desertpig?? It's been awhile since our 1st USL thread! Sorry to hear of your Loss! Pretty interesting to see how you replaced it tho! I like your "other new plane" as well how are you liking it?

Ohh, i am one of "the other guys" who used the Brison 2.4 on my USL. It is awesome! I'll take some pix and post em here, if they are any use to someone considering this combo. I moved my servos,batterys etc, to the tail and still had to add weight! So this Mod desertpig did sure makes scence! Wish we would have thought of that in our earlier thread! But no matter, it is a sweet flyer reguardless.... hovers a 1/2 throttle and will climb untill you can't see her anymore! A blast to fly... And you will see what i mean after a put up the pix, AWESOME LOOKING! front end.
Dave.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:33 PM
3-D Flyer

Well, here ya go... here's mine. Brison 2.4 USL combo.
As you can see, i moved R/X switch, R/X Pack, 2 servos into the tail.... and she was still nose heavy!!
You can see however as i used the front end to my advantage however, the perfect compartment after cutting in an access hatch on top covered with clear tape(easy to replace if access is needed) For Ignition battery, Ignition switch, Ignition module and fuel dot. Do not have to worry about power with this baby!!
Like desert pig said earlier in this thread, I as well fly 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale planes and this guy is perfect for the "no worries" kick around flying....when you just want to have fun with a lesser risk factor! Like he said..."just what the doctor ordered!" I was going to sell mine last year to help fund my Compostite Arf 2.6 Extra project and i am glad i did'nt! As i look forward to it again this spring! It probably won't last long as i will probably get pretty radical with it this spring!

Name:	Da83488.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	226500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10967.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	226501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10229.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	226502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72261.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	226503  
Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
3-D Flyer

A Few More....

Name:	Mj24556.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	226504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75687.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	226505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95274.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	226506  
Old 02-08-2005, 06:56 PM
famousdave

Hey 3D - Nice install! Good idea with the hatch! Jeez that thing's gonna scream! Ditch that Zinger though and put a MenzS or Bolly wood on it!! You will not believe the difference! I started with a Zinger Pro, it made a lot of noise. I switched to an APC and it was like night and day a lot more power. I then tried a MenzS and it was like I put a supercharger on it !! I was blown away on how good the power was on the Menz or Bolly. I am now running a Bolly (can't find the right size MenzS for my engine)... best move I made.

Props make a huge difference, the zingers are not very efficient!

DP
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
3-D Flyer

Yes i agree with you, however Brison believe it or not was the one's saying that was the prop to go for for run in.... Secondly you probably know swinging a 18x10 up front leaves very little clearance and the "dinks"[:@] are all it takes to start the hairline running up the prop! zinggers are a little more cost efective!! Ha, Ha. Anyway, YES! it does screem!! even with that prop! I thought the same thing that it would not perform so great but, GEEEZZZ it hovers at 1/2 throttle and shoots up out of it like a rocket![X(] It is a blast! The distinctive downline "whistle" has everyone staring at your plane!!! [:-]You know what i am talking about don't you! It's kind of like the SSCCCRREEECCHHH of the composite arf ailerons when you manuver that plane! I love it! Hey how's that new extra of yours!? (not to get off topic)........
Old 02-09-2005, 02:46 PM
famousdave

I guess you are right.. with that much power the prop probably is not as important as it is on my G26! I cut one bay off each side of my wing (i.e. clipped wing USL) and it does not scream any more!! The noise is gone! I have concluded it was the covering making the noise, hitting a harmonic. It was not the hinge gaps as those were sealed and the noise was still there when the wing was full size. When I shortened the wing, I recovered in some white Monokote I had laying around - it is a lot stiffer than the clear ultracote.. I am sure that is what silenced it!

Been flying the extra a lot, and I have a real nice BME 28% DA50 Edge I have been tearing up the sky with recently The extra I am using to learn IMAC, the Edge - just flying and 3D stuff, and of course the USL to hack!

I did another weigh in last night after my final set of mods (wing chop, carbon servo tray, titanium aileron links, etc) 9 pounds 2 ounces dry! Add 6 oz for the weight of the gas and I am 9 # 8 oz wet.. saved another ounce! I measured the thrust on the Bolly prop - I am right at 16.6 pounds on a "good" fish scale. The Bolly prop added a good pound of thrust. Almost 2:1 now. When I take off the plane rolls out in 10 feet and then goes straight up like a rocket. It is truly laughable!

I am convinced now that there is no more weight I can strip out without either spending a ton more money or weakening it to the point that it would probably not hold up to the abuse I give it.. !

DP
Old 02-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

$125 will save a few more ounces..
Old 02-09-2005, 05:49 PM
RCERFE
My Feedback: (1)

I have my ultra stick going togather. g26 is on order from rcign1. The assembly manual calls for 3 large servo arms jrpa212. Is this arm 1 inch? were do thay go on the plane? I will be useing a jr 8103. The servos are> Quad flaps jr ds811. Vertical stabilizer, and horizontal stabilizer jr ds9411. Throttle jr 527.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:29 PM
ChrisAttebery

I used 1.5" arms on the wing servos and they were way to long. I used the 1.25" hole on my arms (1:1 ratio) and I had to dial the flaps and ailerons down to about 50-60% to get the recommended throws on high rates. In reality you really only need .75" or 1" arms all the way around.

All the surfaces on my plane will go bevel to bevel at a little over 100% ATV. The ailerons/flaps will move about 2.5" to 3", the rudder about 5", and the elevator had about 2.5" of throw in each direction. I guess when I get agressive I can crank up the throws and see what it will do.

Take a look at the manual and get the throws for each surface. Measure the length of each surface and ratio it with the length of the control arms. I believe the arms are 1" plus .25" for half of the thickness of the surface. I wish I had done this before I ordered the servo arms.

DP: are you using the stock throws or have you cranked them up?

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.