Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

50CC Plane Wildhare, Aerotech, or Great Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

50CC Plane Wildhare, Aerotech, or Great Planes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Laserdude
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50CC Plane Wildhare, Aerotech, or Great Planes

I'm considering a 50CC plane for IMAC and I need your input. I think all of these are good but are there any significant differences? Wildhare Edge 540T, Aerotech Velox, or Great Planes 300S Wagstaff. I'm planning to use a DA50.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:01 PM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 50CC Plane Wildhare, Aerotech, or Great Planes

If you go with a Wildhare you might want to get one of those Extras....They are supposed to IMAC better than the Edge.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Laserdude

Thanks, what is the Extra suppose to do better?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:34 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

The extra's will snap and spin better, the edge is better for 3D! I have one of each, the edge is almost ready to fly and the extra is still in the box.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:14 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Go with a wildhare extra, it'll do both IMAC and 3D really well and have a lighter wing loading. They're great airplanes and are gentle to land. Plus they don't require spoilerons for a smoothe landing.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:35 AM
DaveMiller

Hello,

The Velox ia a great all around airplane. I have flown one and own 5 Aerotechs now with great success.

Thanks

Dave Miller
Old 11-04-2004, 07:54 AM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

The Extra is better for IMAC because of the swept leading edge. I have the Edge and enjoy it. Don't have that many flights on it yet, about 20.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:26 PM
b-mccor8

Wildhare hands down, flys awesome great customer service, read ther forum. Cannot beat the price and quality!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:10 AM
scottfl78

Correct..
Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

The GP Patty is a nice plane, but it was designed for Glow. It will not have the nice wing loading the WH or Aerotech has. It will fly nice, but you will feel the weight of the gasser on the nose of that plane. If you have flown a well balanced plane with light wing loading you will know what I am talking about. The Patty seems heavy for its size and wing area to me and I fought the sticks more than I ever had to on a plane that size. My opinion - you would be better off with a Moki 2.1 on it than a DA50.

The Aerotech is a new entry - its their first ARF actually. They are built by the same factory in Hong Kong that make all of Chip Hyde's and Planes Plus planes. The quality is excellent (have you seen any of the Chip Hyde planes?) The Aerotech kits are also very nice, and I have built several. I have talked in depth with the owner, and he really is putting his heart into this product. It comes with some top-notch hardware at a reasonable price too. Using some skill in selecting components this plane can weigh in at as little as 15.5 pounds. There has been some production delays (they were supposed to arrive in Sept) but material shortages and factory backlog have impacted it. Better to wait for good quality than to rush like others have... !

The Wild Hare is well proven and been around for a while. Its target weight is 17 pounds. It is very strong and well built. I have not seen too many complaints with either the construction or performance of this plane.

I would also strongly consider the Planes Plus Extra 28%. Don and Carla do a great job of putting together great flying planes. Their planes are due in any week now as well..

I just ordered the Velox II and here's why.

1> I already have 2 extras and a CAP, the Velox is a refreshing change of pace airframe design to me, and the covering scheme is very scale too.
2> 2 pounds weight savings is HUGE for me. The wing area is the same as the WH, but less 2#.. That will make it a 3D monster
3> I have seen it fly. There is less wing rock and roll coupling than planes of similar size - it flies much larger than it is and that demonstrates excellent design.
4> I asked them if it would hold up to repeated freestyle flying (i.e. abuse) their reply - "I told the pilots to punish the airframe, even to failure, so that we can see how it holds up".. that was 100 flights ago and its still going strong. I think its strong enough for me!

I am going to build it as light as I can, my target weight is as close to 15 pounds as I can get. Realistically, I think I can hit 15.5.
I will have a full write-up on it as soon as it arrives!

Bottom line - don't rush into it just 'cuz someone's only gasser is a Patty or WH. There are some very nice alternatives coming out now.
I still recommend the WH for all first time gas pilots. It is very strong and very forgiving. If flies nice and carries the extra weight well too.

The Aerotech and PP models look promising for more unlimited flying in a small, lightweight package..
One of the most irritating things for me is wing rock on the smaller planes. Its hard to practice and get good at anything when all you are doing is fighting the weight in the nose... Even the vids of Hempel flying the WH show it rocking pretty good... if a guy as good as him is fighting it.. I won't have a chance!!

The Aerotech and PP planes are lighter and more geared toward experienced gas flyers. Bye-Bye wing rock!

DP

DP
Old 11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

I have the G.P. Patty with a ZDZ 50NG on it & I though I havent flown any of the others mentioned I have to say I really like this plane. I actually got the airframe (new) in a trade so I figured what the heck & put the engine I had planned on puting in my 29%er in it & even though it comes in a 17 lbs it flys like its on rails. I to am praticing to start IMAC & this plane is steady as a rock thru the manuvers. I havent tried any 3D stuff with it, not that I'm much at it anyway, but it makes even me look good at truing the manuvers in the sequience.

If the others fly much better - dont tell me cause I've spent to much money as it is!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I have a GP Patty/ BME 50 and a WH Edge / DA 50. The wild hare beats the Patty hands down. I think the WH Extra will do exactly what you want to do with it.

My WH edge weighs 16-1/4 lbs with out wheel pants or panel and pilot.