Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 Starting the dang Quadra 52 >

Starting the dang Quadra 52

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Starting the dang Quadra 52

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 06:34 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting the dang Quadra 52

I have the Q52 on a 16# bird and it flies well. I have about 4hrs run time on the engine. Once started it runs ok and I have to elec 24 V start the engine. No way / no how will it start by hand with the spring and I have set the prop as per instructions for the magnet in the fly wheel.

The engine is inverted and to choke the engine will not draw much fuel unless the engine is spinning over. There is no butterfly on the carb for choking.

Normal procedure is to choke / prop over until fuel is at the carb, then pull about 3 more times and try to start. (the spring just doesn't spin it fast enough). The elec starter does spin but it kills the bat's quick due to engine size. If I squirt fuel in the carb, it fouls/floods the inverted plug then it really won't start with the elec starter.

Any suggestions or mods to CD ignition to improve this [:@] starting monster.

Thanks in advance. Jim

PS oil / gas is 50:1 synthetic oil.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Starting the dang Quadra 52

On my Quadra I had a Jump start from C&H Ignition , worked great . Plus I made up a piece of balsa 2" long rounded it off to fit in the carb; intake , put a flat on one side of balsa so as to let some air in , no problems .
Old 11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Lew

If you go with the jump start, you can eliminate the spring and bearing. Save some more weight.................It works great

Lew
Old 11-08-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your having problems with your 52. I have had a Q-52 that I have been flying for the last 10 years, I have had nearly every possible problem you can imagine, every thing from bent cranks to throttle plate screws falling out, and locking the engine up.

Just for your information, the CD coil originally installed is a real weak sister, and seems like the older they get the weaker they get, impossible to start without a spring starter or like your doing with a starter. After replacing a number of those things, I finally put a Riechmuth battery ignition on it, now it will start without the spring. I started having problems with RF from that unit and am going to order a CH Ignition for it before spring.

As for the choke problem, I use a velocity stack from B&B. To choke it I found some plastic caps that are used for protecting the threads on steel pipe. I don't want anybody but me closer to the prop than me. I start my engine by turning on the ignition switch, plug the carb with the plastic cap, flip it til it fires, pull out the plug, and I can nearly always count on the third or fourth flip for it to run.

The Q-52 is a tough, reliable but not overly powerful engine, any of the popular 50 cc engines will turn any size prop faster than the Q-52, but like I said they are reliable and durable.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing that you should check is your Mag gap. If the gap between the magnets in the flywheel and the pickups is too big, then spark will be weak. Set this gap to the thickness of a simple business card.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:14 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Folks, I ran into a similar problem with a fuji 50 and I solved it by getting one of those mega torq straters from Central Hobbies for $80. This thing is an animal and will turn every thing up to a G62. I did a test to see what engines I can turn over with this starter and here is a list of engines I was able to spin with NO problem.

Saito 180
Moki 210
G26
DA 50
FPE 52
Quadra 50
Old 11-09-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have checked air gap,, or the lack of one,, I have a very tiny scratch on the magnet where I was a little close. The Sullivan Dynatron is used to start the engine, but I agree a better ignition will really help. I will look into the jump start. Just wondering though,, the Jump start is only for starting and the coil is fixed. Is there an ignition that will make it easy to start and advance the timing with increased rpm. This seems like a better option is such an item exist. Thanks Jim
Old 11-09-2004, 10:02 PM

You will have to get a C&H ignition conversion , even doing some machining yourself it will still cost you some $140 Us or so . The jump start works good & is a lot cheaper & easier to install . O f course nicer idle etc with the conversion , but hand flips great with the jump start . I also made up a starter using a reg; starter , but reduced it down to a 4 to 1 reduction , making up with power belt & power pulleys & it will turn over most gas engines .
Old 11-09-2004, 11:36 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimcork1
Is there an ignition that will make it easy to start and advance the timing with increased rpm. This seems like a better option is such an item exist. Thanks Jim
Yes, such an item does exist. It's a synchrospark ignition system. You can buy one from C&H or RCIGN. I've used both, and they are BOTH fine systems.
I've got a C&H Synchrospark unit on my G-62. The Synchrospark unit has variable timing. If I understand the operation correctly-- and I admit, I could be wrong on this--the ignition sensor sends a signal to the ignition module and the module then decides when to fire the plug. There is a magnet on the prop hub. When the crankshaft rotates around, the magnet will pass the sensor and "trip" the ignition to fire. As the crankshaft rotates faster and faster, the ignition module advances the timing ever more.
When you first flip the prop, the ignition module "senses" that the crankshaft isn't rotating very fast. So, it retards the timing to 3-5 degrees BTDC. This "tames" the engine down a bit and helps to keep all your fingers intact when flipping the prop. It also makes it easier to start, as your plug is being fired at the right time- relative to the speed and position of the piston. Once ignition occurs and the engine is running- the module will adjust and advance the timing to allow for a nice smooth idle. Say 5-8 degrees BTDC for a good idle. When you roll onto the throttle, and the crankshaft magnets' speed increases, the module will advance the timing even more to create a nice smooth transition and smooth running all the way up to top RPM. I think that most Synchrospark units are at full (28 degrees) advance around 4500RPM. So, once you hit 4501 RPMs- your engine will be running at full 28 degrees BTDC advance.
The C&H Synchrospark unit on my G-62 works like a Swiss watch. I have a choke butterfly on my carb and a choke servo.
#1--Flip choke switch on TX and turn on the ignition switch
#2--Advance throttle to FULL
#3--Flip prop about 3--5 times till the engine barks really good once
#4--Move throttle back down to idle and flip choke switch too OFF
#5--Flip prop 2 times
#6--Go fly with a smile

I can't imagine trying to start this beast with a magneto ignition.

Most of the time, on my first flight of the day, I have to flip my prop about 10 times to draw fuel into the carb. I DO NOT have the C&H unit turned on at that time. I am only flipping to draw fuel up to the carb. Once the fuel hits the carb, then I turn on the ignition and thats where I start counting the flips to choke and start.

After that first flight of the day-- it's no choking and 2 or 3 flips to start for the rest of the day. It's easier than a .40 size glow engine. I'm so happy with the way my engine starts and runs--I sometimes catch myself giggling when it's idling on the bench.

Troublefree. Easy. Reliable. Swiss watch. A guy couldn't ask for more.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:18 AM

I will definitely convert to C&H or RCIGN. Who sells RCIGN. I know where to find C&H. I would like to do a comparisom. I can do some machining with no problem,, I have a lathe and mill that is great for hobby stuff. Thanks for the great info. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42205.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	191783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92337.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	191784  
Old 11-10-2004, 03:51 PM

Ok guys I did some research and found the the Quadra is not very popular, (suprise) even though my engine is new most parts are discontinued. The folks at C&H were very helpful and would make on at my request for $$. But after much discussion on cost and investigation in my "new" motor,, the best option was the zero rpm spark system or jump start system. So I bought the jump start system for the Quadra from C&H. (they only had 2 left in stock).

This should start the engine quickly then I can switch to the Magnito.

Won't add power,, but will pull the smoke plane around well. Thanks for all who helped. Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 06:33 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

http://rcignitions.com/ is where you can find him. C&H is excellent also.

ORIGINAL: jimcork1

I will definitely convert to C&H or RCIGN. Who sells RCIGN. I know where to find C&H. I would like to do a comparisom. I can do some machining with no problem,, I have a lathe and mill that is great for hobby stuff. Thanks for the great info. Jim
Old 11-16-2004, 04:13 PM

Just a thanks and update. I received the Jump start today from C&H. Took about 1 hr to install it, due to drilling holes in firewall and fuse sides for the switch. Soldered 2 wires and it was ready. First attempt, (plug out and grounded) turning the prop by hand verrrry slowly,, got nice spark. Spinning over quickly by hand also got spark. Then I used old plug, same results spark when turning slowly. THis system looks great and I am sure will start this Dang Quadra. Hopefully it becomes a *****cat to start and fly. Thanks for all who helped. Jim
Old 01-14-2005, 10:11 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Sorry to bump this tread up from the dead, but I have a question.

Did your Q52 pull your 16#er vertical and with what prop??

I think I made amistake putting money into this motor, I am having a Q50 converted to a 52. And Am putting it in a 17# plane.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:47 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I have the C&H jump start on a us 41 and it is very hard to start by hand I have rebuilt the carb and get good spark from the system. the engine runs fine when I use the starter to get it going. so here is what I do. prime the engine until the carb is good and wet at full throttle return to idle turn the jump start on and flip and flip and flip and just about the time my arm is about to fall off it may fire so what am I doing wrong.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Think maybe you should phone C&H ignition , they are more than helpful . I have a jump start also on a US41 & about 3-4 flips & its going , same idea to choke etc as you do . Are you sure you rebuilt the carb right ? See if you can get another carb to borrow , most gas guys have a spare & that would tell you for sure if carb; is ok .
Old 01-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Hurri back again - I did have trouble with the gasket from carb; to block one time . It was not soft enough & had air leaking thru gasket , so made a new gasket , This was on a G38 , but same carb;
Old 01-15-2005, 07:18 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I have flown the plane many times after the carb rebuild so I think it is OK I will give C&H a call and see what they have to say.