Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Chief Aircraft Yak or Katana?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Chief Aircraft Yak or Katana?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:47 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chief Aircraft Yak or Katana?

Does anyone have any experience with these planes? Was looking at them on the web site. They seem really reasonable and look pretty nice. I think a Saito 1.80 would go good with both planes. If someone has one of these please let me know how it flies and what set-up you have. TIA
Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 PM
john316

Default RE: Chief Aircraft Yak or Katana?

Check out this website http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/ and tell me if their Yak and Katana look a bit familiar. I believe GSP.com is supplying Chief with those models and I have not heard much good about GSP. That is just my opinion but I thought it fair to warn you.

Good Luck!

jOHN
Old 01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
nitrogary
My Feedback: (6)

I just bought one of the last Aeroworks edge540 from chief aircraft, it was purchased to replaced the GSP edge540 that i have, I will transfer all my equipment into the aeroworks. just to let you know that if the planes are made by GSP, the quality of my GSP edge 540 is horrendeous, the instructions are so lacking and the thing creaks and snaps every time you pick it up. However, I have enjoyed doing business with Chief in the past and on this latest purchase and they have always been straight and fair with me, no surprises

cheif aircraft is a good company IMO

Gary Kaufman

Perry Prescott/Wingtote is a BAD company IMO and many others
Old 01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Cliff S
My Feedback: (5)

I am on my second Katana from Chief. The first one was the old version (short wing tube) and it flew better than any plane I've had. The second one doesn't seem to fly as good but it still a very good flyer. It is considerably heavier but I'm not sure why. Both these planes are made by China Models and they make them for anyone. I haven't seen the Yak, but I think the Katana is the best plane on the market for the money. I have an OS160 on mine, which is more than enough power.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I put one together with an OS 160. I never got it to flying very well because I was having trouble with the engine. There are several issues that a really a PITA. The springs to hold the wings on are a joke. Mine came out to 12lb 4 oz. I dorked mine when I went deadstick in a harrier. I got out of the harrier okay and thought I could make another turn back to the runway. I was wrong[] I haven't decided whether I'll repair it or not. Wings are fine but bent the wing tube and tore the LG about half out of it. I think the firewall is also broke but I haven't looked at it yet.
Matt
Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Cliff S
My Feedback: (5)

Yeh I know what you mean about the wing hold down springs. I left them out and installed one wing bolt on each wing. I for get what mine weighs, but I remember it is heavier than the first one I had. Actually this is my third one. I forgot to plug in the ailerons on the maiden flight on my second one.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:09 AM
ifshnee-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Are these the reject YAKs from extreeme?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:44 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FORGET THE SPRINGS JUST USE ZIP TIES
YEA YOU GO THRU EM EVERY TIME YOU ASSEMBLE AND DISASSEMBLE, BUT ITS WORTH IT TO NOT GET AGREVATED
MFLOOD
Old 02-27-2005, 09:46 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS THERE ANYONE USING A SAITO 150 ON THESE KATANA 140'S
LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE FLIES A 160OS OR A 180SAITO
MARTY