Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Edge 540t and aero fly pro

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Edge 540t and aero fly pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 PM
bluemagic98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540t and aero fly pro

well I passed up buying my DA 50 to get some flying done while it snowed besides a tensor 4D for the gym i picked up Aerofly pro deluxe. I was wondering if any of you had this program and knew if any of the planes in there are close to what the edge flies like?
Tom Im kinda hopping you will have a DA50 arond the 3rd of feb better late than never.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Edge 540t and aero fly pro

I have the Edge and the sim and while there is an edge available for download it flies nothing like the real plane. Actually the Extra in the sim is probably as good a flier as you will ever be likely to fly. If you move the balance back a bit and play with the propwash and throws on the Extra you can really tweak it to fly more like the real thing, whatever your real thing happens to be anyway.

IMO I really don't think you will find any sim plane that truly flies like a real plane does, ANY real plane. The trick is to get on the sim and tweak the planes to see how the changes effect the flyability and suit your style, then practice till you can't stand it and then practice some more.

Even though the plane on the sim doesn't fly exactly like your real plane they will be similar enough that the practice will pay off in a big way. Remember this is all a muscle-memory thing and your teaching your brain to automatically move the sticks in response to what your eyes see and to get the plane to do what you want it to do. The only way to get there is to practice, to do that you need to either burn a lot of fuel or spend a lot of time in front of the sim. Crashing on the sim is cheaper but in the end it will still be necessary to learn your particular plane's habits and adapt to them. Since you have all that sime time your thumbs already know which way to move, now just adapt your learned habits to your real plane and your there.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
bluemagic98

I understand what your saying ive only had the sim a few days and i see that my reflexes are improving I crash the sim a lot less. but as i have yet to get all the parts together for my edge 540 and the field is still burried in snow not to mention the mud that follows it will be some time for me to put practice in on the real deal. I feel that the bretling cap is as much a challange as the real deal. I have not done any changes to the planes on the sim and wouldnt know if what i changed was closer or farther from the real deal if i had. Kinda like driving while blind if you get my point. thank you for your reply.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:23 PM
bluemagic98

LOL I have to laugh I just moved the cg back to 3.5 in from 2.8 and it was like cheating the plane hovered way to easy it was like pushing a magic button.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I agree about that Edge..I think its the worst flying plane in AFP..Good to hear it doesnt fly like the real one[&:]
Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

That's the point actually. Use the sim to see how the changes effect the airplane without having to learn it on a real one. AFP is pretty good for this and will teach you a lot as you practice with it.

Now that you can hover easier fly the sim that way for a while. After you are bored and can do it with your eyes closed, move the balance forward and practice some more and get good with it again, change it again and practice some more. You get my point....

A couple of changes that REALLY help to get the planes feel more realistic is to change the sim speed to about 120% which speeds things up a bit and to add a bit of wind. I find that 5 mph will really take a lot of that "this is too easy" feel out of the sim and really helps to hone your reflexes.

Ater doing all of this when you finally get to the field you will be amazed at how much of a difference the time you have spent on the sim improves your abilities and confidence.