Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Designing A 40% to 50% J-3 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Designing A 40% to 50% J-3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:23 AM
mokipitts
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Designing A 40% to 50% J-3 Cub

Well Hello Everyone,

My desire to build especially design seems to be calling me back to the boards again. Years ago when I would do this, the internet was not around. So I would like to share my ideas with you. As you probably know , those of you interested in Piper J-3 Cubs, Balsa USA has about the largest one out there, at 33%. The nice thing they do offer is selling just their plans. Being in Engineering, I've been around many print shops and with todays copiers/plotters, enlarging large sheets is not a problem.
Say for instance we want a 42% Cub taking it off of a 33% set of plans. That sounds like a 9% increase, but its not. Its actually a 27% increase. If you multiply 33 by 1.27, you will get the 42. So the enlargement factor set on the copier is 1.27, and you should end up with what your looking for. The only problem today is most sheets are only 3ft wide, but continous and thats good. You may overlap a little on the fuselage sheet , but I think the wings and tail will all fit on single sheets.
So my question to some of you experts in large aircraft is this? What would you power a 40 or 50 percent Cub with. We all know that most Cubs fly on very little, they are not vertical displaying aircraft, lol. I know a G-62 will fly the 33% well, Im just interested in your ideas on the others.
Also anybody got ideas on landing gear construction, and fiberglass cowl construction. I know the harder procedures, make a plug, cast a mold, then cast a cowl, lot of work. The gear, weld, and braze ???

mokipitts
Old 01-29-2005, 06:35 PM
neilwhitfield

Default RE: Designing A 40% to 50% J-3 Cub

Hello

I haven't built a cub of that size but there is a 50% cub around the show circuit in the UK, have a look at the features aircraft section of the large model associations web site:

www.largemodelassociation.com

There are details of the cub are on there, and you may be able to get in touch with the builder through the forum.

Good luck
Old 01-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just finished a 40% scale J-3 Cub that I plan to put on the market. The plane is completely built and just waiting for the right engine. The plans are drawn, and a complete 40 page instruction book with 165 bulding photos is finished. Also there will be a photo CD with 180 photos that can be viewed on a computer, and enlarged as necessary to view the bulding process in greater detail. Every part in the airplane has a part number, and is referenced in the building manual. It's a big airplane. The building manual will feature 1-2-3 construction, the likes of which has never been seen on this big a model. Nothing will be released until the airplane has been flown, which should be in a month or so. Here are a couple of photos of it hanging in my garage. Note the size of the wings - 14 ft. span.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81518.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	222452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37388.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	222453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25205.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	222454  
Old 01-30-2005, 04:56 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

mokipitts,
You can get a set of full size Sport Trainer plans(J-3 Copy) from www.wagaero.com. I have these plans and they are very nice. You can interchange stock J-3 parts with this plane. The drawings are $74.50 With these you can build an exact replica in any scale you wish right down to the last fitting. I was going to do this in 33% then I found Bob Nelits plans and purchased a set, they are very nice and are probably the best scale J-3 Cub plans available.
If you are going that big of scale I would suggest welding a set of scale gear and making a cowl out of aluminum. I plan on doing both with my 33% cub. I will be working right from my WAGAERO plans for all my scale details on my cub.
Good LucK!!
Anthony
Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
ZenoahGuy

Have you marketed this cub yet? I am in phonix Az and am very interested in purchasing one of your models.