Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

YAK 54 TOC1

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
rcflyer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YAK 54 TOC1

ORIGINAL: airlyons

Hey Tuavp...

What's that blue metal thing at the back of the hatch area?

Chris

That would be a Fromeco voltage reg. The blue metal is actually a heat sink.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I'm blaming it on you guys, I had to get one of these, placed the order yesterday from TroyBuilt, DA50 combo(Russion Sunrise #10 scheme,I love it). Between this busy thread and seeing the 40% fly in person, I could wait no more. The 40% is strong, holds up to harrier landings & many tail touches, some which were pretty hard on the rudder. I dont use Li-Ions,regulators, back up batteries on my Double Vision, just plain old Nimh 2700mah for rcv and 2500Nimh 4-cell for ignition(DA50). It all works well, I get 4-5 flights before charging. Cant wait to open the box.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

I'm blaming it on you guys, I had to get one of these, placed the order yesterday from TroyBuilt, DA50 combo(Russion Sunrise #10 scheme,I love it). Between this busy thread and seeing the 40% fly in person, I could wait no more. The 40% is strong, holds up to harrier landings & many tail touches, some which were pretty hard on the rudder. I dont use Li-Ions,regulators, back up batteries on my Double Vision, just plain old Nimh 2700mah for rcv and 2500Nimh 4-cell for ignition(DA50). It all works well, I get 4-5 flights before charging. Cant wait to open the box.

MixMaster,
Where are you getting your 2700 mah nimh batteries? Are they sub C's or just AA?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
MIXMASTER

sub C's I think, they are pretty big, not AA's for sure. If I remember right, I got them from either MaxxProducts or Cermark RC. They both have a wider selection of batteries than most Airplane web sites. I'm pretty sure they are Hydramax brand,Sanyo cells. I've also shopped RC Accessories web site too, they have some good batteries.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
exakta777

Hi together,

has anyone an idear where this model could be bought in germany ?
thanks for helping

rgds
Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
MIXMASTER

Big Brown says something will arrive today, 8lbs??!!, must be the engine? How about a full 3-D review of this bird, thats what I want most, pics, vids would be nice too.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Vacaman

Mixmaster, this yak is awesome for 3d. You can look a video at
http://www.aerobaticmodels.com/Video/video.html
Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
MIXMASTER

Oh yeah!!! Winds must have been at least 15-20, you have to "lean" into the wind or its gone. Moving TR's are cool though, just dont think about a tail touch. I've never seen the Purple scheme, I went with the Russian Sunrise, had to have it.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
MIXMASTER

Got the DA50, wheres de plane boss,de plane!!!?? I wonder if they ran out of Russian Sunrise? I was looking at Chief, they have the 33% Yak & DA85 combo for $1375, only about $150 more than the 30% combo at Troy, damn!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Mixmaster...

How ya doing? Man we just chase each other all over the forums. You'll like these planes. I have the 33% with DA85. Haven't really been able to fly it much because of many proplems. I think I ended up with 2 flights over 5 minutes and about 8-10 about 2-3 minutes long. The last two though were very nice. Finally got everything sorted out. It flys great. I think you'll have better luck with the DA50. I like those engines. And mine have proven very reliable. My 50cc Yak is a QQ. It's one of my favorite planes. I've got about 90 flights on it. It KE perfectly...It's so good that it's almost as good as a Velox. (if you know what I mean)

I can't wait to fly my 33% more. The DA85 has awesome power. I'm getting about 37lbs thrust on a 24.5lbs airplane. Even at my elevation. And it may break in and do a little better yet! The Yak flys very true and is easy to land.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM
rcflyer96

Barry, glad you think that the Yak is ALMOST as good as the Velox, lol. Seems that makes 3 of us with a velox and one of these Yaks. I have the 50cc version with a DA, actually DL now. Took the DA out to put into an Extreme Flight Extra. The Yak flies great!! Mix you will like it alot. I think I linked a video a couple pages back, has some 3D in it, just not much variety (using old clips).
Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
MIXMASTER

I finally relented & decided to go gasser, I have 16 flights on a Double Vision & just love it, bigger is better! Still have the Velox & another NIB, which I might sell. Almost finished the Fusion, just engine & waiting for throttle servo & batt. I still have the Do, still touchin tail & learning to "lean" into the wind to prevent TR's & hover better in wind. The TOC Yak should be pretty good too. I found out that if you can 3-D a small glow, you can do it easier with a good 3-D gasser.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
MIXMASTER

I got Yak baby!! I asked UPS to hold it for pick-up, I found it on my back patio while walking the dogs, good thing I walked them around the house or I would not have seen it. MY HATS OFF & BRAVO TO TOC & TROY BUILT, THIS IS THE FINEST ARF I HAVE EVER LAYED EYES ON, COVERING-PERFECT, COWL-PERFECT, CANOPY-PERFECT,THE PRE-HINGED SURFACES ARE TIGHT & STRONG,DOUBLE HINGES AT THE ROOT & TIP WINGS. PLENTY OF TRAVEL FOR 3-D ON ALL SURFACES. Theres not much to do to finish, just engine, radio & servos/linkages. I will take the gas tank out & re-fit with barbed tubing & ceramic fuel filter/clunk. Man, just inspecting this plane is an experience, cant wait to fly it!!!!! There will be new pics soon in my gallery of the TOC Yak & Double Vision.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mixmaster,

Trick on removing the fuel tank. Mine was installed with double sided tape and was very secure.
I used a heat gun from underneath in the canister tunnel. It lifted out easily with a little heat applied.

Jaketab
Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
MIXMASTER

I didnt notice, it must be all the way under the tank, thanks for the tip,if its big enough, I might leave it there and just re-plumb it, I like at least 15 min to 20 flight time.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM
MIXMASTER

I guess asking this question in the EF Yak thread was a bad idea: How does flight performance between the 2 50cc Yaks compare, the TOC & EF Yak? I've seen several 35 & 40% TOC Yaks fly, just incredible 3-D with those, hoping the 50cc is close to that.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
drewbags

Never flown the EF YAK, but by all accounts that is a great plane and seems to be the "benchmark" when it comes to these types of planes. What I can say is that I am very pleased/impressed with my TOC YAK. Harriers are locked in both upright and inverted, no wing rock, nice flat spins and hovers really well, can't really fault it and I would say in the right hands would be "just" as impressive as its EF counterpart. The EF is a much bigger bird but I think the TOC presents itself really well, I have the orange/white scheme and the finish is really good, everyone comments on how good it looks in the air. Just my pennies worth.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
MIXMASTER

It sounds good to me, inverted harriers? I've always heard they are easier than upright, but I havent got one plane to do it easily, its been tough for me, probably liking tail heavy planes doesnt help. I thought TOC & EF 50cc Yaks were pretty close in size?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
drewbags

I think the inverted are easier in the fact that most planes fly them better, something to do with not blanking the rudder when it is upside down - the TOC is rock solid on both, could land from it; haven't had the b***s to do that yet!! As far as size the EF YAK is much bigger, the wingspan is 88" and the fuz is much larger all round.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
MIXMASTER

Every 3-D plane I have/had was harder to do inverted harriers, right thrust becomes left so a lot of rudder is needed, with a tail heavy plane they tend to nose up w/o elevator, so use of throttle & down seems to make it very difficult. My new 50cc Double Vision, which is in the mid-range of CG, is very touchy on the rudder while inverted, it rolls out with little deflection. Thats why I dont get it when people say inverted harriers are easier, sure the fin/rudd is in clean air, but other issuues make it tough, at least IMO. I think I'll go with more nose heavy for the Yak, just to see if it helps me. My Fusion is done, will be starting the Yak soon.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
drewbags

This YAK tends to come out tail heavy so don't be afraid to mount the engine further forward, I have a good inch between the cowl and the spinner backplate and it is still verging on tail heavy.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
flatlandmike

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

Every 3-D plane I have/had was harder to do inverted harriers, right thrust becomes left so a lot of rudder is needed, with a tail heavy plane they tend to nose up w/o elevator, so use of throttle & down seems to make it very difficult. My new 50cc Double Vision, which is in the mid-range of CG, is very touchy on the rudder while inverted, it rolls out with little deflection. Thats why I dont get it when people say inverted harriers are easier, sure the fin/rudd is in clean air, but other issuues make it tough, at least IMO. I think I'll go with more nose heavy for the Yak, just to see if it helps me. My Fusion is done, will be starting the Yak soon.
mix The thrust angle in relation to the airplane never changes. The reason right thrust is needed is to counteract the rotating air mass thats hitting parts of the plane that are unsymmetrical like the rudder. So your inverted troubles are coming from something else.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
MIXMASTER

I think thrust angle do change when inverted. Right becomes left, but since the prop rotates in same direction, torque, prop wash and even P-factor works against you, When you consider that you now have left thrust(inverted) and the above factors still push the nose to the left, thats where the difficulty comes from, I think you have to "adjust" for inverted harriers, at least thats been my experience with dozens of different models. Then with an aft CG, the plane can nose up more inverted, making things even more a balancing act.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
flatlandmike

You are incorrect see my previous post. The plane doesn't know or care what orientation its in. The thrust angle is in relation to the plane not the earth.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
MIXMASTER

Somebody's missing something here, when the plane is upright, you normally have right thrust set in, you can see the engine slanted to the right a little, when you flip it over, you can see the engine slanted to the left a little, I.E.= left thrust angle. Same thing with up/down thrust. Not sure what you are talking about, unless you set up with zero thrust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.