Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes after that long it is worth the wait for the perfect day.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Default Sticker Made

Originally Posted by Super08
Yes after that long it is worth the wait for the perfect day.
I think I am going to put 15+/4/3 somewhere on the plane. Reminder of her journey. Just haven't decided where yet. I did run two 10+ minute sessions on the engine to give it some run time before the first flight. Throttle response was fantastic.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 AM
DrDeath

Well guys, today was the perfect day! Temperature was in the high 80's high humidity and 3 mph wind, I could take off and land in either direction. Started the engine after some issues, sounded good, taxied out and took off, but it was very sluggish. No power at all. Let's just say it was flying VERY SCALE!! Circled the pattern a few times, noticed those pesky wheel pants one doesn't tighten well was drooping down. luckily it was drooping the right way. landed and went to get the plane. Maiden is in the books. Fiddled with the engine took the cowl off and started it up. Gary leaned the engine out and of course, didn't have my Tach, but we can hear the difference. Decided to take another flight without the cowl. This flight was much better, plenty of power, no longer flying on the wing. Flew around trimmed it out, just a little down and some rudder on the first flight. This time BOTH wheel pants were drooping. Well, lined up for a landing, came in a little hot, powered up and circled and lined up again. Floated her down to a 2nd soft landing. She is officially airworthy!!!!!

Thanks everyone who followed this thread. It has been a long time coming from the very first post back in May of 2005!

The following users liked this post:
Mud Duck (05-01-2020)
Old 05-27-2018, 03:46 PM
Super08

Congrats man, I can just imagine how great it felt.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 AM
huggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plane looks great with the black/white scheme. I have not seen one with those colors. They are fun planes, enjoy. Mine is black/red and I am in the process of resurrecting it from not being flown for 5-6 years.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Super08

Your screen must be a bit off color, it is green and white.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:34 PM
huggins

My bad! Sure looks black on my iPad. Still looks good.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Super08

IMHO the best one I have ever seen.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:32 PM
DrDeath

Originally Posted by Super08
IMHO the best one I have ever seen.
Thanks Super08. I wanted something a little different. I've seen the traditional yellow and red or the red and black. I was first going to go with the red and black then I thought about white with the red star burst. But I already had a white and red plane so started leaning towards a white with blue. Then I picked up a white and blue cub, so I had to get a new scheme. Saw this color on a hot rod at a car show and fell in love with it, thought it would look really good. The rest they say is history. Glad you like it, I was just glad she finally was able to sprout her wings and fly.

Last thing I need to do is have my buddy 3D print my pilot, which will be a bust of me.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:16 AM
LDGILLS

Wow! 13 years in the making. Very nice to see an old thread completed! Congrats!
Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 AM
DrDeath

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by LDGILLS
Wow! 13 years in the making. Very nice to see an old thread completed! Congrats!
Thanks! About a year ago, I was like "time to get this girl in the air". I ordered new wheel pants mounts and will install today. Need to get a little more air flowing through the cowl and a few other things.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:11 PM
DrDeath

Well, wanted to give you guys a flight update. I have about 10 flights on her. Flights have been great. I have had a few engine outs, but that has been due to engine over heating. Had an engine out on a go around a few weeks ago, flew it until I couldn't see her behind a small hill. Landed perfectly and in a path that we cut to retrieve planes. Today had another engine out on my downwind leg. I was only about 15 - 18 feet up but made a right turn and dead sticked her to the ground. Took the cowl off and literally ran the engine for about an hour (note to self, reduce the gas tank size) with no issue. I was able to place my hand on the bottom of the crank case without burning my fingers. Before, I could touch the metal spinner and it was hot. So, as I don't want to hack up the cowl, I need to get more airflow to the engine.

All in all, she is a great flying plane. Worth the wait.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Super08

Maybe you can order a 2nd cowl from Sig and have one for flying and one for display.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 AM
DrDeath

That's a thought. Have to think about it. Definitely needs air circulating.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Take a look at these louvered vents I obtained from Valley View RC. Even if you only used one on the very bottom and matched up the paint your airflow inside the cowling would improve. Also, remember the old airflow through the cowling formula: The exit area (sq/in) is supposed to be 200% of the intake area.
The following users liked this post:
Mud Duck (05-01-2020)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:20 PM
DrDeath

Well, thought I would give you guys an update on the Spacewalker. Let's just say, I love the plane. I have easily over 25 flights on her. I have added a smoke systems and finally got the bugs worked out on that this morning. Plane looks great all smoked out. I now need to create a 3d printed pilot figure of me. One thing has been a pain in the butt, keeping my muffler tight on the plane. I have used blue locktite and may have to go to Red. Other than that, I love this plane.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Super08

Sounds like it is time for a flight video.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:51 PM
funfly8
My Feedback: (20)

Talking Muffler bolts

Originally Posted by DrDeath
One thing has been a pain in the butt, keeping my muffler tight on the plane. I have used blue locktite and may have to go to Red. Other than that, I love this plane.
If you are using cap screws on the muffler, an old trick was to drill a hole through the cap screws and put a wire through them. The wire they use for supporting newly planted trees works well.
Going through your thread wants me to get one of these 1/3 Spacewalkers

Steve AKA Funfly8
Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this thread. The Spacewalker is one of my favorites. Mine turned 25 years old this month. It the yellow and red one from some years ago before 2.4G radios. I'm replacing the standard LG with one I bought years ago from Bob Shattleroe and I'm finally adding the Sig Hazel pilot I also started way back. Sig Koverall, Sig dope all powered by an OS 300 Twin. It flies scale but it could use a bit more power. The plane is a big *****cat to fly. The second photo is a friend of mine, Don Brann who send me a photo of his Spacewalker with Jess Anglin the designer of the full scale Spacewalker. How cool is that. Enjoy your Spacewalker, maintain it will and it should last quite a while. And as far as the time it took to build, I can understand. I bought a BUSA 1/3 Cub kit in 2005 and finally flew it in 2015. Work and a family got in my way.

Dan

Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM
DrDeath

Originally Posted by RCPilot100
Just saw this thread. The Spacewalker is one of my favorites. Mine turned 25 years old this month. It the yellow and red one from some years ago before 2.4G radios. I'm replacing the standard LG with one I bought years ago from Bob Shattleroe and I'm finally adding the Sig Hazel pilot I also started way back. Sig Koverall, Sig dope all powered by an OS 300 Twin. It flies scale but it could use a bit more power. The plane is a big *****cat to fly. The second photo is a friend of mine, Don Brann who send me a photo of his Spacewalker with Jess Anglin the designer of the full scale Spacewalker. How cool is that. Enjoy your Spacewalker, maintain it will and it should last quite a while. And as far as the time it took to build, I can understand. I bought a BUSA 1/3 Cub kit in 2005 and finally flew it in 2015. Work and a family got in my way.

Dan
Two nice Spacewalkers! I love mine, still fiddling with getting things right. I need to take a video this weekend of it flying. I used red lock tight, the muffler hasn't come lose yet.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Steve S. Helland

Well, if that doesn't work try it without the gasket and use red high temp silicon gasket maker in between the muffler and the exhaust port. Bisson Custom Muffler recommended this to me and it worked.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 AM
RCPilot100

Steve - I lost several mufflers on my pumped OS 120. Tried Loctite after the first one launched itself. That didn't work. So I drilled a small hole in it and wired it on. Its been about 7-8 years since and its still on the plane.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Steve S. Helland

Add interestum,
I just made up a word...Drilling a lateral hole in the bolt head like you are explaining is commonly done on full size aircraft. This method is truly the best way to keep muffler bolts from working their way out-IMHO. However, if the bolt heads are recessed into the muffler body then this method is not possible.

Last edited by Steve S. Helland; 09-19-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:53 PM
drube

Originally Posted by DrDeath
Well guys, today was the perfect day! Temperature was in the high 80's high humidity and 3 mph wind, I could take off and land in either direction. Started the engine after some issues, sounded good, taxied out and took off, but it was very sluggish. No power at all. Let's just say it was flying VERY SCALE!! Circled the pattern a few times, noticed those pesky wheel pants one doesn't tighten well was drooping down. luckily it was drooping the right way. landed and went to get the plane. Maiden is in the books. Fiddled with the engine took the cowl off and started it up. Gary leaned the engine out and of course, didn't have my Tach, but we can hear the difference. Decided to take another flight without the cowl. This flight was much better, plenty of power, no longer flying on the wing. Flew around trimmed it out, just a little down and some rudder on the first flight. This time BOTH wheel pants were drooping. Well, lined up for a landing, came in a little hot, powered up and circled and lined up again. Floated her down to a 2nd soft landing. She is officially airworthy!!!!!

Thanks everyone who followed this thread. It has been a long time coming from the very first post back in May of 2005!

Beautiful plane! Awesome job!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:09 AM
RCPilot100

That is one good looking plane Alan.