Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

"giant" Top Flight F4U

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:19 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "giant" Top Flight F4U

OK by todays standards the "Giant" Top Flight F4U isn't Big, but has anyone flown one? I have been asked to do a test flight for one and was wondering what to expect. This is the 86" snap with a G-62.

Thanks

Rob
Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: "giant" Top Flight F4U

Rob, Joe Bobeck has had one ready to fly for five years ( don't ask why ) It too has a G-62. I' ve been busting his stones for the last year and I think he's gonig to let me test fly it. Let me know how it goes.

Albert Santiago
Old 06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I will report here if anyone is interested. I belive this was a WRAM show winning plane.

Rob
Old 06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

I built and flew one for a little over a year, test flown a couple more for friends----do you have previous WWII warbird experience?? If so, you shouldn't have a problem---easy (slow) on throttle up during take-off, and stay on the rudder. Flaps on landing work great, scarcely any pitch trim change.
I moved the CG about 1/4" forward of the recommended location, the personality improves a lot (better elevator response for smoother control during landing).

Oh---it may not be "big" by todays standard, but I assembled mine in my living room and got a very different perspective on it's size from my wife
Old 06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I had one for 7 flights, from every thing I can read and in talking to a pilot of a real big one.
They fly exactily like the real one ( power all the time) . take off are a none event due to the wide gear best with about 15deg's flaps once trimmed for flight it goes ware it is pointed I found you must use rudder with all monevers, In landing you have to fly it to the gound with power and full 45deg's flap at about a foot off you can cut the power and do a wheel landing. when if a three point is tryed at about a foot off it will snap to the right..

good flying Bob T

PS. I had the fuel line to close to the muffler melted same at about 30ft after take off, and about 15deg's left bank, and just like the real one it guit flying befor I gould blink