Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF 2x2 Anybody else got one???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite ARF 2x2 Anybody else got one???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Miloh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composite ARF 2x2 Anybody else got one???

Hi All:

I've been posting to a thread about my Saito 2.20 in the arf forum. I had planned to put it on a WM Ultimate but decided against that one and put it on my DP 540. Well that didn't go over to good cause the DP didn't hold together.
I now have it on my new Composite arf 2x2 extra 300. It is way more than enough to fly this bird. I'm wondering if anybody else has this bird and what they are using for power. I also have a few other questions for anybody that has experience with the 2x2 or composites in general....Like
How do they hold up to the vibration? being ridged as it is, it is very noisy from the motor vibration. It also sounds like it weighs a hundred pounds when it lands just due to being so ridged and not giving in anyway to movement or shock.
I also have building questions about this bird. Of course mine is flying now so the building fase is complete but I would still like to compare notes on a couple of things. I noticed the side of the fuse where the wing touches is wearing a bit from vibration, Is this going to wear through the fuse?? is there anyway to correct this? Should I not worry about it?

ANYBODY ELSE GOT ONE??????

Miloh.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Daniel Hice

Default RE: Composite ARF 2x2 Anybody else got one???

One of my friends, Jeff, had one of these built and was not happy with the plane at all. I did not talk to him in depth but he was very disappointed in it's performance. I personally have no knowledge of this machine or specifics as to what he didn't like. I own the CompARF 2.3M Extra and so far am very impressed with it, still in the building phase. I noticed that I will need to lightly sand the wing where it touches the fuselage as it is not even and I forsee issue. I will also need to lightly sand back the under side of the wing where the aileron folds into it during negative throws, again not an even surface and ony allowing 20 degree throw tops, seems to be rubbing quite bad when not sanded back, would definetly wear and eventually crack if left alone.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Miloh

Mine performs very nice, I have no problems at all with this aspect of the aircraft. It flies very well and light.

Miloh.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Miloh

Surely I'm not the only guy that bought one of these...Am I???

Miloh.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

You can check my 2x2m build thread at www.composite-arf.co.uk (click on build threads)

You don't need to worry about the wear on the fuselage from the wing - it'll be fine. If it bothers you aesthetically, then you can run a thin bead of silicone on your wing roots or fit some very thin wing seating tape where it is rubbing.

My 2x2m flies like it is on rails - due to the slightly streched nature of this model. With a DA50 it has more power than you could ever want

Not sure what you mean about sounding like it weighs 100lb when it lands? My floats in super quiet and kisses the grass with no noise at all! Have you tried landing more gently?

Mark
Old 08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Miloh

Hi Mark:

It lands very smooth and light. It's no trouble at all it's just the sound it makes when it touches down. I can hear every little sound it makes. It just seems like being so ridged there is no shock absorption at all. It's just noisy. Not a problem I'm just not used to one making the noises that come out of this one. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Does your make the wistle sound when it rolls?? There is a 3m that flies at our field sometimes and it wistles like hell when it rolls and I expected the 2x2 to do it too, but mine so far has not.

I'll go check out your thread and holler back.

Miloh.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:10 AM
schroedm

Miloh,

I guess if you're not used to composite models it can come as a surprise. Because they're hollow structures noises tend to echo rather than get soaked up by a load of stringers/formers/balsa/ply etc

Yep, my 2x2m whistles but no where near as much as my 2.6m or the 3m models. If you do a fast pass, cut the throttle and bang the aileron stick you'll probably hear it.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 08-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Miloh

Thanks Mark:

Miloh.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
DesertHucker

I am looking at purchasing on of these.
Any one know were there are any videos of it.
What hardware is needed to finish this plane
Old 08-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Miloh

I used all the hdw that came with the kit with the exception of the servo horns. I used SWB aluminum, 1.5" on elevators and 1.25 on the ailerons. I think the rudder was a 2".

Miloh.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Miloh

Hay Mark:

I flew it again today, Got one flight in and the canopy lock pin came unglued and it dumped the canopy at a fair distance from the pits. Good long walk. All is corrected now and it's ready for another go. This thing is loud as hell in the air. I can hear the motor wine through the fuse. I have balanced the prop and double checked it. The motor is tuned in as close as I can get it so far, maybe better as it breaks in. Should I be concerned?? I just feel like it's going to come apart. All the glue joints are holding good so far and the screws are holding as well. I can't find anything else to do to soften the blow so to speak.

BTW I enjoyed your site a lot, Very nice.

Thanks, Miloh.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 AM
schroedm

Miloh,

I have not heard of what you're talking about before. The large single cylinder gas engines DO vibrate a LOT more than the twins - I know that I was shocked at how much my 2x2m was shaken around on the floor with the DA50 idling but once in the air it seems fine.

Posted a brief video of mine here http://media.putfile.com/extra2x2m bit dull but was fiddling with Knife Edge mixing. Is yours any louder than this?

Rgds,
Mark
Old 08-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Miloh

Thanks Mark:
That is about what mine sounds like but......I'm running 4 stroke Glo!!! and it sounds like a gasser with the resonance of the motor through the fuse. I guess if it holds together with a DA 50 it should handle a 2.20 Saito ok. I'm just having a hard time getting used to it.
Let Her Rip I Guess.

Miloh
Old 08-30-2005, 01:42 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

My buddy has two of them. One in the box and one flying with a DA 50. Sweet flyer as he dosen't fly his 2.3 or 2.6 very much anymore. I'm thinking I might need one soon.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:17 PM
SynergyPilot

Hi ! I have read alot about DA and SAITO engines used in the 2x2 aircraft. I am considering using a YS160DZ DINGO but not really sure if vertical performance with the YS engine will be unlimited. Any experience or comments on my engine selection ?
Rgds/Gunnar

ORIGINAL: Miloh

Thanks Mark:
That is about what mine sounds like but......I'm running 4 stroke Glo!!! and it sounds like a gasser with the resonance of the motor through the fuse. I guess if it holds together with a DA 50 it should handle a 2.20 Saito ok. I'm just having a hard time getting used to it.
Let Her Rip I Guess.

Miloh
Old 01-02-2006, 08:43 PM
SpgBob

my brother has a 2x2 and a da 50. plenty of power just very tail heavy. we are in the process of adding alot of nose weight to make it come back in cg. it flys great though even with the cg messed up.. kevin
Old 01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
jlellis

Has anybody had any problems with the canopy coming off in-flight. Mine came off today, was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for me so it won't happen again. Thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Miloh

Mine came off once when the glue let go of the pin assembly. I went out and retreived it reglued the pin and now I use two sided tape between the canopy and the fuse. helps with the vibration and also keeps the canopy from moving around.

Miloh.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:12 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scrap the pin set-up and use the phenolic tabs and screws just like you did on the cowl. That is how the 2.3 and 2.6 attach theirs. I figured vibration and fuselage flexing would cause problems with the pin set-up.

I have two 2X2's, a 2.3 with a 3W-70 and a 2.6 with a DA-100. The 2X2 gets flown the most. Great flyer and power to weight ratio with the DA-50 and mini-pipe is awesome.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey! Anybody out there flying the 2X2 with the electric conversion? If so, I would like to know what your set-up is as I am consdering it on my #2 - 2X2.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:29 PM
jlellis

I'm running the 3w50 on mine, what a sweet flyer. Thanks for the advice.