Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant test bed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Giant test bed

Hello all,

I recently joined an IMAA club and need to find myself a "legal" kit for the giant only days and events. I was figuring a 4-stroke glow, but as I continue to dig around I notice gas seems to be the way to go. Even at today's prices it's cheaper to feed and initially less $$$ to come up with a large enough engine to swing the big props. So now the gears are really churning.

In the past we had Das Ugly Stik (and it's dozens of clone spin-offs) for use as a test bed when entering new realms. I got into 4-stroke with a Big Stik. I figure I need a big, "viceless" airframe like that which lends itself so well to tinkering around with changes and experiments . . . all the while being a day-in, day-out fun plane to fly with full “mission oriented†aerobatic ability.

For whatever reason, Great Planes (now servant to, or master of, the dark Tower) continues to snub the kit builders and focus on ARFs. Their Giant Stik in kit form would be perfect. Is there another or similar kit, or even a short kit, available that gives an 80" low or shoulder wing that would be a good platform for a gas engine? If my Ryobi weed trimmer is any indication of my abilities with small gas motors I will need a plane that can be kicked often and thrown up against garage walls frequently. Darned thing is so fussy it is hard to start even when the eight steps required and printed on the case are followed to the letter. It, more than anything else, worries me about gas engines. My little Mariner 3.3 Hp outboard auxiliary to my small sailboat, on the other hand, starts first pull since 1995 and is neglected until needed.

Also, what is required of the peripherals to gas engine that are different from a glow? Obviously, the tank and lines have to be of proper material, and IMAA requires a cut-off switch for the engine, but what else may I run up against? I take it they won't require ignition components beyond what comes attached to the engine, but what about pressurizing the tank or pumping the fuel to the engine? Outboards and weed trimmers operate in two dimensions and hardly ever need to run inverted or when falling 400 feet.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Giant test bed

I think you may like this line of kits. I hada number of different motors on my Prime Stick.

These kits build easily, and fly well. I've built 3 of them.

http://www.airflair.com/flaircat1.html#PrimeSport
Old 09-01-2005, 02:45 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blow up your Das Ugly Stick plans and cut a kit. It couldn't be easier.

Woops
Old 09-01-2005, 02:50 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Also, A Sig 4* 1.20 would be ideal as well as a the .90-120 size GP Super Sportster(if you can find one). Other popular kits are the Dynaflite PT19 and the Balsa USA Flybaby bipe( both if youy can find one). I know a guy who cuts short kits for the Fly Baby if you are interested.

Woops
Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Stinger 120 or an Ultra Hotts
Old 09-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Ryans REbel plans from RCM
Old 09-04-2005, 09:10 AM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

Breaking into the giant scale gas planes could not be easier than getting a Wild Hare 28% ARF and a 50cc engine.
Purpose made for the first time gas pilot.
Extra or Edge, your choice, they both fly great.
http://wildharerc.com/index.html
Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks.

An ARF doesn't make much of winter build (but I suppose then I could devote more dark evenings to RCU and talking to the family . . . nahhhh).

I haven't scratch built without a boxed kit in many years. I always buy too much of the wrong wood and end up spending twice as much as a boxed kit (not that having extra is a bad thing. It always gets used somehow).

So far the front runner is the Combat 2.7 from Lynch's Hanger with a 41cc U.S. Engine

http://www.lynchshanger.com/Combat27.htm

Just cries out for a salad bowl or heat-moulded 2 liter soda bottle fairing; but the engine is exposed and eaxy to futz with as I begin my gas inroads.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:38 PM
WycheG
My Feedback: (4)

A Super Flying King looks like a fun testbed aircraft.

http://www.btemodels.com/sfk.html

Big, it's a kit, simple construction, lots of options ... been looking at doing one for myself if I ever get time for a knock-about. Or you could try the regular Flying King (link on the page above) if the Super is too much plane for you.

Greg