Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

EMI chokes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMI chokes

Where can I buy toroids for EMI suppression? I cant seem to find them in stock in either Mousser of Digikey. What toroids frequencies should I need for this? Do I need to add one choke for each lead from the servo to the receiver? Are opto isolators more effective than toroidal chokes? Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: EMI chokes

You can buy RFI chokes from Radio Shack. They don't have to be toroids. I have never found RFI chokes or opto isolators to be necessary.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
PaulBK

ditto...a friend of mine likens them to holding live chickens over your airplane and chanting.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: PaulBK

ditto...a friend of mine likens them to holding live chickens over your airplane and chanting.
Hmm... may be I ought to consult my local Voodoo practicianer next time I need a low pass filter.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:22 PM
sportflyer-RCU

I am having severe EMI from the engine and am at wits end what to do. I have been running the engine on a test bench with all the support equuipment next to the engne. Then I placed the Christen Eagle about 3ft away to check the range which came out to a horrible 30ft . it will be obviously much worse with the engine mounted in the plane.( I confirmed that before setting up the engine on a test bench to isolate the engine ignition system from the plane's receiver/servo system) . As a second check I placed another plane at about the same distance, the range check is just as bad. The receivers are Futaba , one sytem operates at 6V the other at 4.8V . Both are FM . I could switch to PCM or IPD receivers but wanted to reduce the EMI as much as possible before changing receivers. The servos in both planes are a mixture of Futaba and Hitec servos. The engine is new Fuji 64 EI . It seems like I have a lot of RF emanating from the engine unit itself. I even dispensed with the ignition sw and I am using a Resistor plug. ( tried 2 of them with no improvement) . This lead me to consider RF chokes . Maybe its the electronic ignition unit? Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:19 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the ignition module grounded to the engine, thru the plug cable only?

There maybe other things present in your shop that are creating problems. Is there any metal to metal abrasion of the engine installation of the stand, throttle pushrod anything?

With today’s radio gear and proper installation practices problems are rare IMO. FM/PPM RX's should work fine without chokes.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:08 AM
sportflyer-RCU

The ignition module was grounded to engine via its own ground cable. Engine was radially mounted to a L shaped wood test bed . Throttle control was manual via a nyrod . The range checks were done both at the flying field and at home with the engine test bed clamped to wood benches.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Hurri

I have never bothered with chokes . I have used shielded cable for extensions , never a glitch ever . Can get the shielded cable in radio shack put it between the servo plug end & & receiver end . the shield is connected to the black wire ONLY on the receiver end & open on servo end . I wrote into RC Report a couple of issues ago , so it is in there .
Old 09-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Hurri

I have never bothered with chokes . I have used shielded cable for extensions , never a glitch ever . Can get the shielded cable in radio shack put it between the servo plug end & & receiver end . the shield is connected to the black wire ONLY on the receiver end & open on servo end . I wrote into RC Report a couple of issues ago , so it is in there .
Old 09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: sportflyer-RCU

The ignition module was grounded to engine via its own ground cable. Engine was radially mounted to a L shaped wood test bed . Throttle control was manual via a nyrod . The range checks were done both at the flying field and at home with the engine test bed clamped to wood benches.
Can you describe the ground connection in more detail? There can be only one ground path between the module and the engine. Typically the plug cable provides the path from the engine to the module. Anything additional creates a resonant loop.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:02 AM
sportflyer-RCU

The plug wire is not grounded ie it is not a shielded plug wire. There is a separate ground wire coming from the ignition unit which is supposed to be connected to the engine directly. I sent the engine back to Hobbico for check up . They were able to duplicate my EMI problem and found that the ignition battery pack must not be placed near the ignition unit . ie keep both the receiver battery and ignition battery away from the ignition unit and from each other. Does this make sense?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 PM
rideon67
My Feedback: (1)

I'm chasing the same problem on the same plane. Your ignition sounds similar to mine -- separate black wire and unshielded plug wire. I've been told to keep the ignition battery away from the Rx. There's only so many places to put the thing in the fuselage -- by the ignition or by the Rx. Guess you could put it up in the top wing somewhere........

My range check is OK until the engine is running. Did I read yours is poor with or without the engine?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
mglavin

The plug wire is not grounded ie it is not a shielded plug wire. There is a separate ground wire coming from the ignition unit which is supposed to be connected to the engine directly. I sent the engine back to Hobbico for check up . They were able to duplicate my EMI problem and found that the ignition battery pack must not be placed near the ignition unit . ie keep both the receiver battery and ignition battery away from the ignition unit and from each other. Does this make sense?
Sorta kinda maybe... Ignition systems emanate EMI/RFI from the GND side of the supply (battery pack). The negative side of the pack acts as an antenna, as the primary side of the ignition circuitry is common. Add to this the proximity of the secondary windings to the primary, and the result can be a problem!

If I understand correctly a separate ground wire is provided by the ignition OEM and is coupled to the module and then you’re to fix it to the engine block. The best scenario is the shortest distance to GND, which would be the ground or braid attached to the metallic plug base or right nearby. A shorter length of braid is resonant at higher frequencies.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Rideon67 : I have the same problem as you have ie no range when engine is running.

mglavin: The ignition module is just behind the firewall and is about 10 inches from the receiver. The receiver battery is located way back just in front of the horiz stab. The plug wire has no braid over it . I tried to shield it by wrapping foil over it however the manufacturer advised against shielding plug wire and ignition unit. When I shielded both, the engine is difficult to start , probably changed the capacitance and affected the spark timing or something else.

Would shielding the ignition battery and grounding it to the same point as the ignition ground help?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Wow, I commend them for actually going through the trouble to check it out!

RX battery yes, keep it away from the ignition unit, but keeping the ignition battery AWAY from the ignition unit? Now THAT doen't make sense to me. Unshielded spark plug cable? That is probably you're biggest EMI/RFI emitter there (unless the ign unit isn't shielded) - that's how Marconi got his start by the way. A short, thick ground from the ign unit to the motor in this case is VERY good idea or swapping the spark plug cable for a shielded one like most of the higher performance motors use (DA, BME, 3W and ZDZ all use shielded spark plug cables). It's a wonder how all the old Zenoah/US Engine/Fuji motors with unshielded cables and magnetos worked with RC planes - I'm sure there's a million horror stories out there.

On the voodoo front...

ORIGINAL: PaulBK
Chokes are good for conducted noise, and if you use the wrong type (non-toroidal) and/or put one in the wrong place chokes can actually make things worse. Incorporating shielding, capacitive filtering, and a good ground (which is almost impossible in our RC setups) is a good way to reduce RFI problems in a receiver. So if you can't filter and shield the RX/servos, etc. then one viable option is to use shielded spark plug cables, resistor plugs and properly designed (low RFI) ign units - or go back to glow engines, ugh.

I actually have one setup where a choked servo extension helped, most of the time all I have to do is use twisted servo extensions or move things around. I conjectured that the servo electronics (for the throttle, mounted in the motor box) was picking up the RFI and was being conducted through the servo extension.

I have to go and double check all the transceivers I designed with chokes in them now, or get some chickens for my voodoo practitioner... my project manager is'nt going to like this (he's allergic to chickens).

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.

DB
Old 09-22-2005, 02:39 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Unfortunately my gasser is a Fuji 64EI . If I can't fix it I might have to go with another gasser or 2 stroke. I am not sure whether the ignition unit is shielded because its fully potted .

I am a bit frustrated because I have not been able to fix this problem for weeks. BTW when using RF beads , DO I place one bead in each servo lead ie 3 beads per servo set?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Hurri

I can't believe you guys with this choke biz . I have been flying gassers for 15 years never a single glitch . As i said early on in this site , I use shielded cable on the longer extensions if out to ailerons /flaps or way down the length of the fuse; Try it !!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Do I shield all 3 wires ? ie use 3 conductor plus shield cable and ground the shield to the _ve at the receiver end? Do I just shield the extension cable or I have to shield the whole cable right up to the servo .

It would be nice if I can find cable braided wire then I dont have to do much soldering

TKs
Old 09-22-2005, 03:58 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

I had much the same problems with my gasser. I have a Dynaflite Super Decathlon