Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Death to my spitfire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
keriksen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death to my spitfire!

101 Dies

I had just finished my spitfire "101 inch spitfire" on the first flight it did good. But when I tryed to do a out side loop I heard a loud pop on the pull out, fallowed by the port side of my wing coming off. Thank god no one was there to get hit with parts of the plane. The plane is fixable all damage is in the wing, and some on the tail. I would like to fix this problem, but looking at it I don't know what I should have done different.
The wing was made up of hardwood dowels backed by ply "3/4sq. dowels" x2 balsa edges and covered by glass the wing was spreadable "not where it failed" Please help with suggestions. And thank you in advance!!!

Kirk Eriksen
Old 09-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Pelle Gris

Default RE: Death to my spitfire!

How dare you do an outside loop with a spitfire...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I've been flying warbirds of one kind or another on and off for 20 years. I've never had the B_ _ _ S or the inclination to try an outside loop. If I had of I would have expected the same results as you. Most warbirds are heavy enough, building them to withstand this kind of stress never entered my mind.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Crusty

where exactly did it break?, hard to offer help with so little detail given
Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 PM
keriksen

Sorry my comp. didn't tell me that I had mail. The wing snapped about 9 inches from the fuse. The wing is separable at 14 inches from the fuse. I still had about 4 to 5 inches of box and aluminum rod left in the wing.

I went to an air show this weekend and took time to look at some of the larger airplanes, they where using aluminum pipe about 1 to 1.5 inches round. Could this be a more suitable way for foam and fiber glass wing?

PS the plain Weighs a lot more than anticipated it's 32. pounds 7 oz.

thank you!
kirk