Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extension connectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension connectors

On my AW extra, I like being able to take the stabs off and throw it in the explorer without having to haul the trailer, and in the process of having a friend recover it. What is a good connector to use on the extension going to the elevator servo, and servo to the extension? I do not want to use the stock connector, but something more heavy duty. Any ideas? maybe the deans 3 pin connector?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Extension connectors

Go ahead and use the 3 pin deans connector and mount 1 in the stab and 1 in the fuse, just like the glider guys have been doing for a long time. Then they are plug and play... Just make sure they are mounted solidly and the stab pin end is boxed, so it can be removed.
The only down fall I can see, is if you have to replace a servo at a contest it would require soldering.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:45 PM
flyinrazrback

how would you permantly mount them to the fuse and stab?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 PM
RTK

Years ago in a glider I did this to the wings so that I did not have to unplug and plug anything, just slid it together.

I made a box out of balsa (any material will work) that held each end perfectly in place. Then cut matching holes in the root and fuse, glued the boxes in so they matched. I left the top of the box off so if I had to remove the deans I could with out destroying my work.
Then lastly, I put some silicon in the box to hold them solid.

I think this should work even for a shaking gasser.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:16 PM
rcblimppro

I would not hard mount the connectors to the fuse and stab. the vibration could cause the connector pin depth to fluctuate and generate RF noise. I know for the most part the glider guys have been getting away with this but back in my F3B days I lost a couple of Synergys and finally figured out that on a hard turn the wing joiner would flex just enough to make the pins pull 1/4 of the way out of the socket. Both times the radio went into failsafe. You really should have no problems with a HD JR or Futaba connector using 22 ga wire.

Shawn
Old 09-13-2005, 11:20 PM
flyinrazrback

I know the factory connectors are fine, I just want to be able to leave them connected without tape, etc, which the deans will allow me to do. Call me lazy but I dont like the ernst connector holders or the slimlines, I found the slimlines once you take them on and off a few times will not stay snapped together.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM
RTK

Guess I thought wrong. I learn something new every day.

Razor- use the yellow one's from parson (sp) they never weaken. That's what I use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42082.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	323940  
Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

On my 40% planes I've gotten into the habit of taping the aileron connectors together with a wrap or two of black vinyl electrical tape where the plugs plug together. I do this when(each time) I install the wings. If I were to remove the elevator/stabs to transport I would do the same on the servo plugs for the stab installation. Its quick and very easy and offers security from an accidental disconnect. Just another option
Old 09-14-2005, 05:05 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

i use those yellow parson clips too, for both ailerons and elevator extensions.

tony