Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Sig Extra 300XS Recommendations???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sig Extra 300XS Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
osxpro
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sig Extra 300XS Recommendations???

I just purchased a Sig Extra 300XS ARF the other day and would like some suggestions from the giant scale folks out there. While I have been flying for over 10 years, this is my first Giant Scale plane (besides my giant U-Can-Do). I would like to put in the recommended 40CC Gas engine vs the Saito 180 (either one is a choice) but I thought I'd get your thoughts on it. I do not have any experience with Gas engines. Anyone out there know from experience what the advantages/disadvantes there are to either of these (besides the obvious fuel costs for the Saito? In addition to the engine, I'd also like to setup the plane with a Gyro in the Tail. I currently have a JR NEJ-3000 Gyro and 8700G Tail servo but that servo only puts out 50 Oz of torque. I'm sure that won't be enough. My Receiver will be a JR R950S with the Elevators mixed in. The Servos I'm using in the Tail and ailerons are JR DS8311's. At 130oz of torque each, I'm sure these should suffice. I'm also going to use the 3000 Mah "c" pack for battery. Should I use 4.8 or 6 volt in this plane setup???
Your recommendations are appreciated.
I have 3 weeks to get this plane ready for our clubs Giant Scale Fly-in so I'm thinking I have enough time to do this the right way.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Extra 300XS Recommendations???

I've had one with a YS 140. The plane is a great IMAC plane but not much of a 3Der.
I would be hesitant with a gas motor because of the additional weight.
But with the YS is was a great plane. I wish I still had it.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

If you intend on using the FPE 2.4. It's going to be a great airplane. I flew mine (sold it in FEB), with an OS 1.60FX. Wonderful airplane. I dont think you need the Gyro. It's just not that kind of plane. Put a servo of at least 90oz. or more of torque in the tail.
Before you mount the stab, be sure the incidences between the wing and the stab are the same. In the past, there was some difference between the two and there shouldn't be. I used an 1800Mah sub "C" 4.8v. pack mounted with velcro on the engine box and added about 3oz. additional in the nose to get it to balance. I really enjoyed the plane, I hope you like yours.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:20 PM
osxpro

The FPE 2.4 is exactly what I'm looking at. I know I'll spend 200.00 more on it but it rates 20 lbs of thrust. Gas, despite it's current price, is still 5 times cheaper than Glow. I am a HUGE fan of Saito but I think this plane deserves the gasser. As for the Gyro, I have them in a couple of planes and I LOVE the fact that it makes the plane fly like it's on a rail. I have a Midget mustang with a Saito 100 in it and while that plane is pretty much a pylon type racing plane, the Gro adds so much ease to the flying. Loops, rolls, landings, etc benifit so much from it.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:09 AM
JohnnyJ
My Feedback: (1)

My Sig Extra 300XS is a great flyer at 13 lbs with a MDS 1.48(has never deadsticked on me!).
Hitec 5475 digitals all around except for a 5625 on the rudder.
The MDS is not available any more and my choice today would be a MVVS 1.6 glow or a OS 1.60 glow.
In my opinion a gas engine would raise the weight up to about 14.5 lbs and it would fly like a lead sled.
Good Luck
John
Old 09-16-2005, 04:40 AM
ifshnee-RCU

OSXPRO;
I had same plane with saito 180. Not enought power for IMAC. Just playin around ok. Gas engine will fly but wing loading will suck. Best motor - Moki 2.10 light & strong, or maybee the new saito 220.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 AM
osxpro

I looked at the Moki 2.1 but the weight is only a 10 oz difference from the FPE 2.4. THe Fuel consumption on the Moki is way higher from what I understand too.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:33 AM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

Sell it. I had one a 2 years ago. The H9 Extra 260 is a much nicer and lighter plane.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 AM
T. Bob

Old 09-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnnyJ
In my opinion a gas engine would raise the weight up to about 14.5 lbs and it would fly like a lead sled.
Good Luck
John
The Sig ARFs are already lead sleds. You asked for advice--mine is to sell it. They are too heavy.
I know you want gas. Once you get a taste of a gasser---you'll never want to fly a glow plane again.
Sell the Sig--your gonna loose money. But, it will be cheaper in the long run if you rid yourself of that pig right now and buy a bigger plane.
Buy a GAS airplane for a 50cc engine and have a blast with it.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've flown the Sig with an FPE 2.4 and it is a very good plane for getting into large scale gas aerobats. Not much of a 3d machine but it is very honest for IMAC maneuvers. I'm sure it wouldn't do well in CO with that engine but at our elevation here in the Triad it should fly well. With the gasser you can run a smaller fuel tank than with a glow engine and still get plenty of time in the air.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want gas on the Sig 300 you won't find a better motor than the DA 50 or the BME 50. These both weigh in at 3 lbs. Close to the Moki 2.10.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

I just ordered a Sig Extra 300XS and the FPE 2.4, which is recommended by Sig for gas usage on this plane. As far as the plane set-up this way, my friend loves his, and I am sure I will too.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:53 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

There you go again! What is it that you have a beef with sig?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
sass25479

I have the Sig Extra 300XS with the 2.4 First Place motor. I fly at 4000 feet and the plane has plenty of power. It flies very honestly, but is not a plane that will do 3D. It was also my first large scale aerobat and it was a learning experiance. Make sure that you have a lot of expo dialed in. The madien was done with about 30 percent, with the recomended throws. It was awful, max out the throws and start with 65% expo. It flies great except it has a nasty snap when it stalls. My first dead stick was with this plane. Don't let it stall!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM
dannafinance
My Feedback: (32)

This is a great first gas plane. I had one with a Brison 2.4 with Futaba metal gear servos on a 6 volt battery pack. I did something stupid and flew it into the ground. I have purchased a new one and cannot wait to get it going. I also have a Sig Sundancer with a Brison 3.2. I set it up with Hitec krytonite gears. They are a little cheaper and no problems after a summer of flying.

Go for it. Sig makes great ARF's.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: wildchild45177

You referring to my comments?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 PM
dannafinance
My Feedback: (32)

Not referring to anything. Just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Rcpilot

I wasn't asking you.

I was asking wildchild45177 since his remarks were in reply to my post.

wildchild45177 said:
This is the second time that wildchild45177 has attacked my opinions about the Sig ARFs, so let me offer him an education:

You have stated that you are just starting out. I can't remember if you soloed yet or if your still on the buddy cord. But, lets just say--your pretty new to the hobby. You are going to jump into the Sig 300XS as your second plane. Not a good idea. In fact, it's a BAD idea--but it's your wallet.

Let me tell you something:
You have no idea what "weight management" is. You jusy got off a trainer. An expert--you are not.

You have never flown a 25% plane or had one untill this 300XS that you just bought. So, you really have not a single clue what it should weigh. You have no idea what ANY plane bigger than a trainer should weigh.

You have the gall and audacity to incenuate that I don't know how to keep an airpplane light? You don't have a clue. You don't know how many planes I've flown and how many I've built.

Let me educate you a bit:
I've been flying for 8yrs.
I've built 32 kits
I've assembled about 60 ARFs
I've scratchbuilt 3 airplanes from plans
I've flown glow engines from .46 up to 2.18
I've flown gassers from 31cc up to 100cc
I've had almost 20 Giant Scale planes

And you--fresh off the trainer--think you know all there is to know about the Sig 300XS ARF? You got the nerve to tell me I don't know how to build a light airplane?

You need to keep those comments to yourself and calm down a bit. Your going to choke on your foot.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:00 AM
osxpro

For all pilots
I started this thread to ask for recommendations, not rants about who is right or wrong or who has more experience etc.
I know your very experienced and appreciate your expertise.

So here's the deal for all and lets close this thread as I'm now done with my Extra.

I have 60 flights on it. I have all DS8411's and an FPE 2.4 in it. I also have a JR G500A Gyro in the Rudder. The Tx is a 10X. I'm using a 3000 Mah 6v pack. Yes the plane is a little heavy but the FPE compensates well as the 2.4 w/ CH ign provides ample thrust. 3D is definately out for this but that's what my 540 Edge and Giant Scale U-Can-Do is for. The plane is a wonderful 1st time IMAC plane! Manuvers are precise and it looks/sounds GREAT in the air. It's been a pleasure flying this plane!

Thanks everyone for your comments.

My next plane will be a KMP Bronco!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got to this threadway too late, but I, too, would have suhhested the 2.4 due to personal observations of this plane with other owners at the fileds. As for the gyro, my vote is no. They are often not relaible and build a dependance that you don't want, or need as your skills develop. They are illegal in any contest situation. The mention of the other planes leads me to believe that you already have the skills to do without a gyro. Enjoy the IMAC since you have already accurately noted the 3D capability. It's a fun plane with no bad habits.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:13 PM
J_ME65

I have an extra 300 that I was planning on putting a 1.2 into, after reading this thread that might not be such a good idea, hunh? I won't be doing any 3D or any other type of comp flying, just flying around for fun. Think a 1.20 would do it for now or would I be better to just get at least the 1.60 and do it right?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:26 PM
osxpro

Trust me, a 1.2 would barely get this plane off the ground. You would also have to add LOTS of nose weight to ballance it. Before I put the FPE 2.4 in it I saw this plane fly with a Saito 150 in it. It serously lacked power! My 40 CC gasser is the sweet spot!
Old 02-18-2006, 03:53 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

While harsh, you have some very valid points, RCpilet. I see more and more people "getting into giant-scale gas" with planes like this Sig, or the PP 27% Extra, or the H9 260, all of which are not true 50cc class planes that end up being too heavy for their size with a 50 strapped to them, yet way overpowered for someone just getting into giant scale. People, if you're looking into giant scale, spend the money and buy a plane that is actually designed specifically for 50-60cc engines, not an OS 160 or up to 50cc gas - that's just a sales ploy to get you to buy one...
ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I wasn't asking you.

I was asking wildchild45177 since his remarks were in reply to my post.

wildchild45177 said:
This is the second time that wildchild45177 has attacked my opinions about the Sig ARFs, so let me offer him an education:

You have stated that you are just starting out. I can't remember if you soloed yet or if your still on the buddy cord. But, lets just say--your pretty new to the hobby. You are going to jump into the Sig 300XS as your second plane. Not a good idea. In fact, it's a BAD idea--but it's your wallet.

Let me tell you something:
You have no idea what "weight management" is. You jusy got off a trainer. An expert--you are not.

You have never flown a 25% plane or had one untill this 300XS that you just bought. So, you really have not a single clue what it should weigh. You have no idea what ANY plane bigger than a trainer should weigh.

You have the gall and audacity to incenuate that I don't know how to keep an airpplane light? You don't have a clue. You don't know how many planes I've flown and how many I've built.

Let me educate you a bit:
I've been flying for 8yrs.
I've built 32 kits
I've assembled about 60 ARFs
I've scratchbuilt 3 airplanes from plans
I've flown glow engines from .46 up to 2.18
I've flown gassers from 31cc up to 100cc
I've had almost 20 Giant Scale planes

And you--fresh off the trainer--think you know all there is to know about the Sig 300XS ARF? You got the nerve to tell me I don't know how to build a light airplane?

You need to keep those comments to yourself and calm down a bit. Your going to choke on your foot.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:55 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: osxpro

Trust me, a 1.2 would barely get this plane off the ground. You would also have to add LOTS of nose weight to ballance it. Before I put the FPE 2.4 in it I saw this plane fly with a Saito 150 in it. It serously lacked power! My 40 CC gasser is the sweet spot!
And how much does it weigh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.