Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Edge 540 and Servo Choices

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Edge 540 and Servo Choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Muza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540 and Servo Choices

Hi All,

I'm eyeing off servos for a H9 1.20 Edge 540 and was after some opinions. I called up the LHS and they reccomended the JR 8611. First my budget cannot streth that far[:'(], and that seems a bit of overkill. I know I should go for the best that I can, but a servo like that simply isn't required IMHO.

I was thinking along the lines of either the Hitec 625MG, or the digital version, the 5625MG, for the elevators and ailerons, and a Hitec 5735 for the rudder.

I'm mainly going to be using the aircraft for IMAC[8D], and maybe harriers, elevators and TR's, but that would be it for 3D

John
Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Default RE: Edge 540 and Servo Choices

Here is what I have to say. There is no such thing as overkill on servos. You cant have too much servo power. I will however recommend the Hites 5955TG over the JR 8611A. Stronger, better gears, and better electronics. You dont need this on this particular airplane. On my H9 Edge, I had Hitec 615MGs. That had 120oz of torque. It was plenty for this airframe. However, none of the Hitec 6xx (615,625,645) center in the same spot everytime. Also after flying a certain airplane with both analog and digital servos, I will never go back to analogs. I even fly digis on my profiles. If i were you for that airplane, I would probably buy 4 of the 5625s (1 ea. aileron, 1 ea elevator half). I would also buy one of the 5955 TG. Why? For one you rudder needs more power than any other surface. Two, if you ever move up to 28% or even 33%, that single servo will power the rudder of those larger planes. You can find them for around $100 if you do some searching, and you will be more than pleased with the result. Now if you dont want to go that route, the Hitec 5645 i know for sure will power the rudder just fine. That is for servos. Now some advice on this plane. Build it as light as you can. The ONLY engines I would suggest are a Saito 180-220, An OS 1.60FX, and for the most power, but also the most weight and price the YS 140-160. You need to shoot for under 11.5 pounds for the best performance. Also, split the elevator control to two servos instead of just 1. Do all of that and you will be fine. Come back when you are ready to fly it and I can give you some flying tips that will make that plane lock into some manuvers better. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:08 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

5625 on Ail & Elev.
5645 on the Rudder.
5475 on the Throttle.

Later
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Muza

I'm planning on a Enya 1.55, as this is a second hand aircraft, it was orginally flying with a Enya. The model however was setup for the Y piece elevator set-up, so I'm trying to figure out a way of chucking the servos into the tail. The guy hasn't exactly made it easy.[:'(]

Also, what do people think about a 18x8Wd on the Enya, bit much, 'bout right?

John