Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Servos for 2.6 Comp Arf Yak ???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Servos for 2.6 Comp Arf Yak ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos for 2.6 Comp Arf Yak ???

Just wondering if anyone has had good or bad experience with the Hitech HS5945MG's (181oz. and .18 @ 6v) and the HS5955TG's (330oz. and .15 @ 6v)? I was thinking about using the 5545MG's for ail's and elev's and (2)5955TG's on the rudder of my 2.6 Comp Arf Yak. Are they reliable and will this combo be enough tork/speed?

Comments welcome.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: Servos for 2.6 Comp Arf Yak ???

That setup will work fine, what I had used on mine except the rudder. I actually used 2 5945s on the rudder and it was plenty, I am sure 2 5955s would work extremely well. I have had probably 120+ hitec digitals, and only one failure which was of my own fault. All I fly is hitec now. I am sure you will get the replies "use a JR 8611", but you didnt ask about them, so hopefully people will comment on only the ones you have asked about.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
propwashed

Thanks for the quick reply. I've also been using all hitec on my other planes and havn't had any problems either. I havn't used the 5955TG's before so I wasn't sure of the performance. I have all JR TX's And RX's but for the past few years all servos have been Hitec.

Thanks,
Tripp

Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM
flyinrazrback

No prob, the new 5955s are awesome. I just took 14 5945s out of my AW extra and replaced them with 9 5955s. If you run all hitec digitals on everything, they are very happy at 6.5v as well.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 PM
propwashed

Will I need to get the programer if I'm going to run JR matchboxes?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 PM
flyinrazrback

No, you can use the matchbox, but why? by the time you buy a few you could have bought a programmer you can use over and over. If you dont know how to use the programmer, there is a couple vids out there that are very helpful, its very easy.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:49 PM
propwashed

So, Are you running one receiver or two? What RX are you using? Oh what the *%#@! What's your set-up?

Thank's
Old 09-22-2005, 06:53 PM
flyinrazrback

In my comp arf yak, I ran 5945s in the wings, tail, rudder, etc. I used one rx, smart fly power expander and super regulator, makes for a nice clean setup. The regulator is adjustable. Used 2 troybuilt 2800 lithium batteries. Easy and simple, works great. However you can use one rx, 2 switches, 2 batteries, 2 regulators. PS, using a JR 649rx. Same setup in the big AW extra, except 5955s for servos, and 5600 batteries instead of the 2800s.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

Anyone try just using one 5955 on the ailerons, elevators and rudder? 5 servos total?

Craig
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM
flyinrazrback

I am not sold on using one per surface. Depends on what you want I guess, if losing 4-6oz of weight is going to make the plane fly better, you are a lot better pilot than me, I think most people couldnt tell the difference between 1-2lbs. I will stick with 2. On the other note, a few have done that no probs. I just think you are asking 1 servo to share the load of 2, and will develop slop a lot faster then if you were using 2.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:19 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

I am replacing the 8611As in my 2.6 Extra and I decided to go with 5955 all the way around. I ordered them in bulk and got them $99 a piece. That way they were about $25 more than the 5945. I looked at using the 5945 and decided that you cant have too much servo, so I got 8 of them bad boys. I also considered just running 1. Apparently 1 is enough. Heck, I had one servo lock on my ailerons and the other still had enough power to overcome it and move the aileron. That is exactly why I am using 2 servos. If for some reason a servo locks again, then it may lock in the up or down position. Without another servo on that surface, then there is no chance of it centering back up. So that is why I will always from now on run dual aileron servos. As far as just using 1 on the rudder, I might would consider that, but my servo tray already has 2 slots so I put 2 servos. A couple buddies of mine are running single 8611As on the rudder and they seem happy. They talk like it has plenty of power. I just like 2 better. Like I said before, you cant have too much torque.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 PM
propwashed

Flyinrazrback, I like your setup. Is your second batt also taking care of ignition? If not what size are you using? I have a 3W 106 up front with the new ignition. While on the subject, What's everyone doing for a secondary kill switch? On my 3w50 I just kill throttle with idle trim, then turn off airframe switch manually.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 PM
flyinrazrback

I am running the 2 batteries for the rx for redundancy. I have a 3rd 2800 lithium for the ignition, gives me 12-15 flights. I have the new style 8.4v ignition and run it unregulated. I have used the smart fly optical kill switch, but now prefer to run a choke servo/kill switch to kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 AM
propwashed

So are you choking your carb to kill the motor as general practice or are you using it as back up to trim down. Just wondering if you have trouble with re- starts after choking out the carb while running. It's seems the carb will keep pumping fuel into the cylinder and cause a flood situation. Just asking. Ive had this problem on my 50.

BTW What engine are you currently flying.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:09 AM
flyinrazrback

No problem doing that on the big twins, never tried a 50 so couldnt tell you. Once I choke it to kill it I unchoke it, I dont leave it choked. If you dont feel comfortable doing that, get a smart fly or electrodynamics optical kill switch. I dont like the throttle trim method because what if your throttle servo goes bad and you have 1/4 or full throttle, or whatever to deal with until you run out of gas. There have been people that the throttle is around 1/4 when the throttle servo locks, and they fly around forever before being able to land, and a couple of them crashed because the rx battery ran out before the gas did. Lots of people use choke servos on the big twins to kill them no prob. What exhaust you using on your 106?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 AM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

I too am thinking about switching to Hitech digitals myself instead of JR. Does the 5955 fit into the same area as the 8611? Can you use a "Y" harness to link two digital Hitech's together? I have heard a few problems there. I am hoping for less slop over time, and am thinking of the 5955TG type servo. I will buy the programmer to get away from the matchboxes, which I never really liked. I just want a dependable servo. I have been happy with JR, and haven't had any failures of any kind, just looking for less slop over time. Scott
Old 09-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JSM I've found that the 5955 fits anywhere a 8611 will fit. I have not had to cut or do anything to fit the 5955
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

I have been running one 5945 per control surface, and a 5735 on rudder for 2.5 years with no problems. The plane has been well abused! By going minimal, my plane only weighs 21.6 lbs, so that probably helps me to not have issues with my few servo's.

My friend is running one 5955 on his rudder and he has no problems. It is more powerful than my 5735.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:09 PM
propwashed

That sounds cool on the kill method. I'm running the 3W cans. They're about 18in. long with about a 4in. drop down in the headers
ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

No problem doing that on the big twins, never tried a 50 so couldnt tell you. Once I choke it to kill it I unchoke it, I dont leave it choked. If you dont feel comfortable doing that, get a smart fly or electrodynamics optical kill switch. I dont like the throttle trim method because what if your throttle servo goes bad and you have 1/4 or full throttle, or whatever to deal with until you run out of gas. There have been people that the throttle is around 1/4 when the throttle servo locks, and they fly around forever before being able to land, and a couple of them crashed because the rx battery ran out before the gas did. Lots of people use choke servos on the big twins to kill them no prob. What exhaust you using on your 106?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:20 PM
propwashed

Good question on the Y-harness .This is my first plane with dual wing servos. I don't see why this would'nt work but I'm sure I'm wrong. Everything in the setup is always about "insurance" Which I guess is understandable considering the cost of larger birds. I just always feel more crap means more problems. I guess one has to find a comfort level of setup and go with it.

" When they finally hit the ground( and they always do...) It will just take longer to get the good stuff out..."

ORIGINAL: jsm77777

I too am thinking about switching to Hitech digitals myself instead of JR. Does the 5955 fit into the same area as the 8611? Can you use a "Y" harness to link two digital Hitech's together? I have heard a few problems there. I am hoping for less slop over time, and am thinking of the 5955TG type servo. I will buy the programmer to get away from the matchboxes, which I never really liked. I just want a dependable servo. I have been happy with JR, and haven't had any failures of any kind, just looking for less slop over time. Scott
Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 PM
propwashed

Flyinrazrback, You out there? Not that I'm considering this, but.. Has anyone you know of tried to fly one of these bad boys with just a simple non-digital setup like 645's all around , one rx, one big bad batt, no extras?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Darrinc

KISS works every time for me!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:33 PM
propwashed

How is your plane at 21.5 lbs flying wieght??? I did paint mine but man 21.5, that will be 9 lb lighter than mine when finished with minimal crap. Wow!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Darrinc

ORIGINAL: propwashed

Flyinrazrback, You out there? Not that I'm considering this, but.. Has anyone you know of tried to fly one of these bad boys with just a simple non-digital setup like 645's all around , one rx, one big bad batt, no extras?
I did not use those servo's (i used 5945's) and did not use a big, bad battery (why) but keep it to a minimum. One rx small batt for ign, one small batt for rx, nothing else, no regulators or anything else.

So mine flies like a big foamy!!! far too much fun!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:38 PM
flyinrazrback

I am not a fan of the lower end hitec servos, if you want a non digital the futaba 9206 (think thats it) is probably the best one out there. However, with the price of the hitec digitals, cant go wrong. You could run one rx, one switch, and one big battery, but if the switch fails, guess what? if the battery fails, you get the pic. I like the power expander, you no longer need y harness with it, just 2 extensions per wing. Also the expander makes sure every servo gets the exact same voltage. On some setups where one elevator servo for example, is faster than the other side or slower, etc, a culprit could be a difference in voltage. Also, there is one super regulator. if it fails, you still get the plane back, the batteries bypass it. If the switch fails, the system stays on. If one battery fails, you have another. Its a pretty bulletproof system, and would have to work hard to bring a plane down on part of that system. It all boils down to $$$, I know, but ask yourself this. Is an extra $200 or so of insurance worth saving a $4K plane? I found out the hard way when I got into big airplanes not to cut corners. I find big model planes just like everything else "doubt means don't"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.