Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Big Spinner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 12:15 AM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do you mean Irwin?

Hey Steve:

Just a quick note to say that the gas helis are the best, I'm convinced. In fact, I would never fly an alcohol machine any more myself given the choice!

I have figured out the Xcell gas heli/engine etc to a T, and my heli runs great and flies superbly to include 3d. I am MORE THAN willing to help you get yours off the ground and flying perfectly. Since September 1997, I've loggen 771 flights with mine so the experience is here my friend and its all been a blast. I've almost saved 2 grand in alcohol fuel costs too, and, paid for the heli already and now I'm working on paying for the 7 crashes I've had so far...Some day I'll break even and start making money, but hey, at least I can with a gasser instead of lighting up $3 every time I fly my 99SE on 30% fuel...

I've read Bill Meadon's posts and even though I appreciate his willingness to venture to the dark side, I'd rather stay with what I''m doing as it works great and the flight count shows that its working well for me and my engine. Bill will burn anything in there, lately I read he's talking about burning coleman fuel. I think his motto must be, "if I can ignite it with a spark, it deserves some trials in a combustion engine." I'm sure some combinations will work, along with the frugal oil amounts, but, I'd personally rather be safe than adventurous with oil mixtures and fuels, whatever they may be.

Anyway, getting off that broken record, email me direct with any questions that you have and I will gladly lead you in the right direction with the gassers. I also have a file at work that another fellow RC pilot composed for me based on all the questions he asked me about gassers, and, he typed up all the answers for me so that I can email them to others who might find it interesting. Thanks Alan if you are reading this!
Old 01-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Big Spinner Questions

Raja, if you don't mind please shoot a copy of those Q&As my way too: [email protected] Thanks much.

Steve, is your cap a hard tonneau cover? What brand is it?

I have the same problems with my Frontier Ext. Cab. I didn't have a problem with carrying RC planes till recently. I got bitten by the giant scale bug even before I bought my H9 1/4 CAPs. I ruled out camper shells long time ago - even the swoopy FG ones are just too dorky. Plus I, for one, actually use my pickup as a pickup. Built 3 homes in the past 5 yrs (don't ask how ) and still making regular trips to Home Depot, so any truck cap for me has to be easily removable. I'm thinking a dedicated enclosed RC trailer might be in order.

Ever since the first time I flipped a gasser alive on a test stand, I knew I was hooked on gassers. Having recently got back into RC, the darn glow engines has never ceased to remind me why I switched to sailplanes long time ago. Gassers may just be my salvation.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:54 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link, Dazzler. That just might be a possibility!

Volfy, my cap is a fiberglass shell, hinged at the back of the cab and supported by two gas struts midships. It is made by A.R.E.; paint is custom matched to the truck. When closed, it is only about three inches above the level of the sidewalls of the bed. Very neat and kinda cool-looking. It features a sturdy locking mechanism. It cost almost a grand, but it made that truck a viable option for me.

Raja, the offer is much appreciated. But if I do get a "gasser", it will NOT be run on gasoline. BTDT, want no part of that nasty stuff.

And I fear I will always have some glow-engined aircraft. I dearly love to cut up with a small sport plank (got a Top Flite Contender on the board right now), or sometimes just piss away an afternoon with my LT-40. I also do a lot of buddy-box instruction with that airplane.

I don't understand your concern about the safety of what Bill is doing. Coleman fuel certainly cannot be MORE flammable, dangerous, etc., than regular gasoline. And, FWIW, Bill is almost in the same league as DC was when it comes to engine tuning.

Steve
Old 01-19-2002, 03:18 PM
rbort

Hey Steve:

I never said anything about safety with what Bill is doing, did I? What I meant is I would be concerned about the life of the g23 motor, being run on other than the instructions recommendations of 32 to 1 mixture of gas.

Bill burns alot different fuels with oil mixtures, and they all seem to work and he seems to like them better - for example running 75 to 100 to 1 oil and opening up the needles, etc, but, my question in my opinion was if we run the engine on 32 to 1, it will certainly last forever, or, at least I haven't had any engine issues with all my flights. If we run it on other mixtures, it runs okay but after 200 flights are we going to find out the engine is worn?

I don't know the answer to that, and, I think that was the point I was trying to make, that's all. So, for "I'd rather be safe", it means I'd rather for my engine to live a long happy life, that's all!

Good luck in whatever you decide to burn in a g23!

-=>Raja.

Originally posted by Steve Campbell
Thanks for the link, Dazzler. That just might be a possibility!

Volfy, my cap is a fiberglass shell, hinged at the back of the cab and supported by two gas struts midships. It is made by A.R.E.; paint is custom matched to the truck. When closed, it is only about three inches above the level of the sidewalls of the bed. Very neat and kinda cool-looking. It features a sturdy locking mechanism. It cost almost a grand, but it made that truck a viable option for me.

Raja, the offer is much appreciated. But if I do get a "gasser", it will NOT be run on gasoline. BTDT, want no part of that nasty stuff.

And I fear I will always have some glow-engined aircraft. I dearly love to cut up with a small sport plank (got a Top Flite Contender on the board right now), or sometimes just piss away an afternoon with my LT-40. I also do a lot of buddy-box instruction with that airplane.

I don't understand your concern about the safety of what Bill is doing. Coleman fuel certainly cannot be MORE flammable, dangerous, etc., than regular gasoline. And, FWIW, Bill is almost in the same league as DC was when it comes to engine tuning.

Steve
Old 01-19-2002, 03:20 PM
rbort

Not at all, I'll send you the QA file on Tuesday morning, as, its in my office PC. Hope you find it helpful!

Originally posted by Volfy
Raja, if you don't mind please shoot a copy of those Q&As my way too: [email protected] Thanks much.

Steve, is your cap a hard tonneau cover? What brand is it?

I have the same problems with my Frontier Ext. Cab. I didn't have a problem with carrying RC planes till recently. I got bitten by the giant scale bug even before I bought my H9 1/4 CAPs. I ruled out camper shells long time ago - even the swoopy FG ones are just too dorky. Plus I, for one, actually use my pickup as a pickup. Built 3 homes in the past 5 yrs (don't ask how ) and still making regular trips to Home Depot, so any truck cap for me has to be easily removable. I'm thinking a dedicated enclosed RC trailer might be in order.

Ever since the first time I flipped a gasser alive on a test stand, I knew I was hooked on gassers. Having recently got back into RC, the darn glow engines has never ceased to remind me why I switched to sailplanes long time ago. Gassers may just be my salvation.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:00 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>

Okay, I misunderstood. No problem, and thanks again.

Steve
Old 01-24-2002, 11:24 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DO NOT USE DAVE BROWN SPINNER ON LARGE GAS ENGINE

His piece of junk 6 inch spinner cost me a $3500.00 Mick Reeves Spitfire after only 7 flights. The Q-100 had a balance prop on it and I balanced the backplate as well. On the 7th flight the spinner broke off in flight and hit the left wing seperating it in flight. That cheesy extension shaft he provides sheared at the base of the threads where it met the prop bolt. Prior to buying this spinner, Dave personally assured me that if I balanced the prop and made sure the backplate was true...I would never have a problem with that extension shaft/nut/bolt/whatever you want to call it on a Q-100 (I know they vibrate a lot). After the plane crashed, I called Dave and said "hey....I thought you said it would be OK...he replied "well, you know a Q-100 has quite a bit of vibration....I wouldn't balme it on my spinner. You have to expect them to crash once in a while due to unforeseen circumstances". That's it. Way to stand behind a product.

Please...I have been doing this for 17 years....never seen such a poor set-up. But I am as much to blame as anyone. I KNEW it would not hold up. No test as good as a crash test!!!!!!!!!

Yours, Sincerely

Hind sight is 20/20.