Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Updates on the Pitts Model 12

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Updates on the Pitts Model 12

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
LowKey3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Updates on the Pitts Model 12

ORIGINAL: 3DCrazy516

ORIGINAL: Aerotech
We will have one other item to add that will be awesome. / We will have some final items soon and one surprise...
Whats this [X(]??? Or do I need to be patient and wait?

OOOH NO! SOUP FOR JOU
Old 04-14-2006, 08:47 AM
LowKey3D

NEW! BAD ASH PITTS......

http://www.aircraftstudiodesign.com/...on/gallery.php

Old 04-14-2006, 08:53 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: los08

NEW! BAD ASH PITTS......

http://www.aircraftstudiodesign.com/...on/gallery.php

I want one of these [X(] Read the specs. A full scale bipe with a 1:1 power ratio when fueled. That's rare
Old 04-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Aerotech

Hello,

We are talking to our manufacturer now. If he can add this. We will be manufacturing them as well in that scheme. That was the surprise were working on. For the models the only difference will be the hatch for a single place and in that scheme. Its very Visable from the air as well. I saw this plane at Sun and Fun and was blown away. Im waiting to hear now from our manufacturer. Stay tuned.

John
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 AM
LowKey3D

John

Are you redesign the Ailerons to full span and shorting the wings as
the full scale..

Carlos
Old 04-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I like that scheme, but not as much as the original Yellow and black scallop design.

Doesn't really matter to me, if it was green with pink polka dots I would buy it, I have wanted a Pitts M12 in 50cc since I flew Mike Hall's Aerolock Models Pitts 12 , simply the best E-bipe I have ever flown. I want a big one, er, medium size one, 50cc.

Just email me ,Aerotech, when you want the deposit.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
bonedaddy41
My Feedback: (2)

<shaking my head> John John John. I hope you realize how difficult you are making my life! Maybe I can find room in my garage for another bipe.

I will keep a few dollars stuffed back so that I'll be ready when y'all are
Old 04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

No the ailerons will not be extended. The ailerons as is roll like you wouldnt believe. So no need to do this. There is only so much you need to do to make the airplane perform. I will wait to see what comes back to us from our manufacturer. We sent the Cad files already. Its an awesome plane for sure. We will be flying the other Pitts tomorrow and getting better footage. Then Easter with the family. Guys Have a Happy holiday.

John
Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Gorgeous color scheme John. Reminds me a little of Jim LeRoy's Bulldog. I'll take the yellow! Thanks for sharing .

Happy Easter to you as well...
Old 04-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

I will keep all up to date as I have information. Have a safe and Blessed Easter.

John
Old 04-18-2006, 06:21 PM
KJKimball

John and group,

Glad you guys like the Pitts Python (TM). It is our latest creation and one that is special to us. If you like, we can privately discuss licensing of the Pitts Python(tm) scheme and name so that you can use it on your model design. We have agreements with some of the model 12 R/C kit makers out there but some have just taken the info from our website without permission ignoring the copyright info covering the data and photos contained therein.

Bob Truworhy approached us long ago and purchased a set of full size model 12 plans to use as the basis for his model. In addition to his plans purchase, he has provided compensation to us for use of the Pitts Model 12 name and likeness. Bob has had his kit copied by others and the battles related to that have been covered on this forum.

Personally, I am a modeler too. My son and I build and fly R/C and love to see what builders can do when creating awesome scale renditions of the airplanes we build no matter of a Gee Bee or model 12. There is a growing tend in the scale model industry that I like. More and more model providers are seeking permission to copy full size airplanes. Most would be amazed at how little an effort it takes to make everyone very happy. An example would be the Gee Bee R3 design by Mirco which was copied by a German model company. All they needed to do to make Mirco happy would have been to bring him into the loop and maybe offer him a free kit. Pretty cheap grease to keep the skids moving.

We have given a model builder permission to build a scale Pitts Python(tm) and worked with him on the scheme and logos. It is nearly complete and will surely make a splash. We sold him scale size graphics and I even designed the wings for him with actual airfoils instead of the typical model airfoil sections. It should be pretty cool.

The #1 Pitts Python will soon be on the airshow circuit. We have sold it and the world will get a good look at it in a few weeks when it begins to fly shows. We are already working on the "what's next" airplane. It'll be cool too.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball
www.pittsmodel12.com
www.pittspython.com
Old 04-18-2006, 06:53 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

Translation:
Its my plane and you cannot copy it unless you show me the money!! Hence therefore price of the model goes up and the consumer gets the short end of the stick. Just my .02 cents
Old 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
bonedaddy41

When I was young and building plastic model cars and planes, I never had to worry about opening the box for a model of Gene Snow's Rambuncious and finding a decal set that simply said "FUNNYCAR". I could have understood Gene going to Revell and asking them to not make models of his car if he was maunufacturing model kits of his cars and selling them. That would have been direct competition using his design and namesake against him. In fact, since he was a racer and not a model manufacturer, he was actually receiving free advertising through Revell's model kits. I knew who Gene Snow was long before I purchased my first Hot Rod mag or saw an actual drag race in person.

Things are different now. Harley Davidson even has a trademark on a "sound". How stupid is that? How long is it going to be before people are having to pay royalties for uttering the name "Oracle"?

Where would people like this be if Don Prudhomme or Carroll Shelby had gotten a trademark for "any coiled or striking snake image or characture"?

John, never mind on that extra color scheme. I would prefer the original that you have. I don't want to give money grubbing jerks any free advertisement.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

BoneDaddy,
Thanks for putting in the words I really wanted use, but refrained. Ditto on the scheme for me.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 PM
bonedaddy41

LOL - No problem. I'm not well known for "refraining".

I think I'll go to McDonalds now and get a cup of coffee. Maybe I can spill it on myself and become a millionare

Crap (TM), now I owe McDonalds money for saying their name.

Crap (TM), now I owe them more for saying it twice [:@]

Old 04-18-2006, 07:51 PM
newshoundaussie

Doesn't look like there will be anymore updates on the pitts guys!!! To bad, would have been good exposure for them! I guess this means the end of scale modeling for fear of being sued in the future! Not surprising these days.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
bonedaddy41

Kevin, I guess I should explain myself in a little more "politically correct" manner.

I have no issue what-so-ever with a company or individual controlling a Trademark or Copyright. If some other aircraft designer or manufacturer starts selling or building an aircraft that steps into the realm of your design, I will be right there to stand beside you to protect your rights.

I know that there is a growing number of large companies coming down on the "little guys" in the RC industry for selling "standoff scale" representations of "their" aircraft. If this were in direct competition with you then I would again be on your side. If you are truely a "modeler" then you know that the modeling industry has always relied on actual vehicles to model. Otherwise every model in every hobby shop would not "look like" any real vehicle. Do you honestly think Ford Motor Co. gets royalties for every "Blue Max" funnycar model sold? What about every B52 model? How about royalties for every U.S.S. Enterprise model? And Space Shuttle models?

I understand all of the arguments. But think about it. Why are things so expensive now? Why is gas going back to $3.00 a gallon again? Because everybody that CAN stick their finger in the pie IS sticking their finger in the pie. Is it really going to hurt your company/income if somebody builds a 28% "standoff scale" of your airplane? As I hinted to earlier, it might even help you by getting the name distributed more widely ... and that wouldn't cost you a single penny.

I myself prefer to fly biplanes that "resemble" an actual aircraft. I currently am flying an Oracle Challenger that I purchased before Oracle made the manufacturer stop shipping the Oracle decals. Honestly, what damage can come from allowing an rc model manufacturer to ship 200 airplanes with the Oracle name on their decals?

Again, if this is in direct competition with your business or anything you intend to do in the future then I can except that and will agree with you. But if you are just wanting to step into another industry and raise our prices simply because you want to make a buck off of somebody else .... then you are part of the problem in our current "sue everybody that you can" mentality market.

I will stop there and give the thread back for its intended purpose. I will appoligize directly to John right now for stating my opinion regarding Kevin's post. I am looking forward to the release of John's new plane and will definately be a customer unless Kevin decides he wants royalties or "grease (tm)" to allow John to sell a S12 making it out of my price range and guilt range.

Here is a link to the AMA website regarding this type of issue [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/supportletter.asp]http://www.modelaircraft.org/supportletter.asp[/link]
Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 PM
newshoundaussie

Well said bonedaddy 41! Hopefully this trend doesn't continue, it may ruin the scale end of are hobby.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Bosshossv8

So much for a 50cc Pitts 12. Unless he gets greased. Too bad.

I will look for something else, don't pay to model any airplane. It should be gratis. Unless, he was producing models himself. It truly is a gray area.

There are plenty of other models .
Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
LowKey3D

I see it now. If you want scale, scratch build..
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

Hey guys there is a process for everything. Dont POO POO it. Jim is a first class person as well as his designs. Our updates will continue and when we have the word back from manufacturing and a delivery date, how much etc it will be posted. It will be worth a short wait. The plane we have designed flies awesome. We have had alot of experience with our other line of planes that spills into this one. Hang tight.

John
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM
bonedaddy41

Ok. We'll hang

That has just been an "issue" with me lately. Sorry
Old 04-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Bosshossv8

Well, according to what Mr. Kimball alludes too, all he may want is a model or two to hang in his office. Not. If money and royalties are what he is after, it would be wise for him to not annouce it, becasue ther eare some of us who , on principal, wouldn't pay extra to advertise for him. Myself included.

The argument can go both ways , with valid points on both sides. But, modeling was about honoring time tested or beloved designs, a tribute if you will , to your favortie design. But, now, there is a lot of money at stake , and honor and modelling tradition, if there is still such a thing, will take a backseat to payola.

My love affair with the Pitts M12 ended a few posts back. I don;t care if it has a round nose and looks cool. I will honor someone's design that probably appreciates it.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

No problem. I have emailed Jim for a more clear understanding of what his thoughts are. We want to always maintain being civil in here. I think when were done the planes will exceed your expectations.

Later
Old 04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
KJKimball

Well guys, seems I may have missed on the point I had attempted to make. I or we, are not after a royalty, not after a truckload of free airplanes. It is far more simple and less mean spirited than some of the post following mine. You guys are obviously passionate about models and airplanes in gerneral. So am I. Dad, my son and I all enjoy flying R/C and full scale. We fly right here at our grass strip. Pretty cool.

Here's the point. Out of all the various model 12 r/c kits that are out there, only one guy asked if it was OK before he embarked on a commercial venture using the full size airplane as the inspiration. It isn't that hard to drop a note or call and say "here's my plan...Is that cool?" I think the reason most companies skip this step is that they make the same assumption as many of you have made here. That being everyone is out for a piece of the pie and it is better to just do it than ask.

I didn't state what the compensation was from Bob. It is not with product or with money. It is with continued friendship, the occational visit and a chance now and then to hang out and fly R/C with us. Bob spent a full afternoon here not long ago just goofing off in his eyes but it made a world of an impression on me and my son. Bob took time to work with Kal flying his cub. Same is true for another local R/C builder and pilot who has become part of our family. He spends hours here each week, helping out, flying, sharing his skills. He has tought my son more about flying R/C than I think I could have ever done. I owe him and helping him with his models is a small repayment in my eyes. I just clear coated his python for him this weekend.

No devious plan here to undermine the industry and try to railroad kit vendors into huge payoffs or lifetime supplies of kits. I hope this post better outlines my take on the subject. I wish all the success in the wordl to John, Bob and all others who are making their way in the R/C kit biz. I am sure it is like ours being more of a passion than a huge money maker.

Happy flying to all of you,

Kevin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.