Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

I got my only 3W used and I only have about 30 flights on it, I've tuned the low end in a bit(started over at factory settings)and got it running pretty good with 24X12 Xoar, still it doesnt rev up quite as fast as my DA50's. The DA's(3) are running perfect for me. I still havent taken the high end needle in all the way, that could make some difference. I will keep trying to get it at best setting, its still good enough right now, just a little different timing is all.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

I got my only 3W used and I only have about 30 flights on it, I've tuned the low end in a bit(started over at factory settings)and got it running pretty good with 24X12 Xoar, still it doesnt rev up quite as fast as my DA50's. The DA's(3) are running perfect for me. I still havent taken the high end needle in all the way, that could make some difference. I will keep trying to get it at best setting, its still good enough right now, just a little different timing is all.
I still say send it in to Aircraft International and see if they can get it running better. Have you taken apart the carb to check the diaphragm? I wonder if it is brittle and/or cracked. That can make your mid-range very difficult to tune, although I would expect it to run lean and not burbling rich.

-Pat
Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Ih82crash

One problem on the 3W singles is an air leak between the black reed valve cover and the engine. You need to take off the cover and rough it up and then using red silicone seal it up and put it back together. I was having trouble with my 85 idling down and then dying, and that solved the problem. You could send it back and they will do it for you, but it is cheap and easy to just do it yourself. Just be careful you don't over do it.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BTerry

Steve,
I only put the BME in my engine because I saw it for a good price, noticed that you had installed one in your plane, and I was far too lazy to modify the fuse in my Yak to hold the canister for my ZDZ (it was 3 inches too long for the tunnel). Using my wife's logic, I bought the new engine because I didn't want to buy a Pitts muffler for my ZDZ. That's my story and I am sticking to it! It sounds from your experience that the 80cc single would be about perfect for the plane, so I guess I need to work hard to get a smooth throttle curve on my BME monster.

The BME 110 is a powerful engine. I have to use a good throtle curve to get the RPM's where they need to be for hovering and high alfa rollers. This thing wants to climb at 1/4 throtle. Once I got the curve programmed in, hovering and high alfa stuf became much easier. It is fun with this engine, but it certanly doesn't need it. I also plan on pulling the 110 this fall and installing it in a 35% bird I have to build. I wish BME kept the 110 in the line up instead of just the 116 now.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:32 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

bterry here is another vid of the efyak, some down low this time, shows the throttle response too planning to make a vid of my sd tomorrow if all goes well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFR254dr5uE
Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
diamondave

i got a few pics today of my new prop, looks great i think, flew very well, tachs less than the mej but worked out nicely, torque rolled much faster too, didnt get any vids, field was crowded cause the shootout is coming up in a month or so and some local big dogs were out praticing, i cant walk on the runway when others want to fly, plus i was cut short anyway, one of my aileron linkages stripped out of the clevis[&o], luckily the other stayed working, i could feel something wasnt right, needed a few clicks of trim and was drifting funny, sure enough after landing thats what i found, i have another clevis and all thread to redo for now, but i may eventually get rid of all of this hardware, i love the titanium turnbuckes and ball links on my ef yak, not sure how that would work here though with the clevis being centered on the horn, the ball link would have to go to one side or the other, not sure if thats enough to bind or not, will just replace stock stuff for now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78755.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	1261613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75503.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	1261614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31814.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	1261615  
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I played with the needles a bit more yesterday, turned in the high end a bit and the low too, its still about the same, maybe it does go from ilde to full a little quicker now, but thats not the issue, it does spool up as fast as my DA's, plenty fast enough. Its mid-range changes, not going to full, but maybe 3-6 clicks all in the mid-range, that's where it lags compared to my DA50's. Again, to be fair, I am guilty of not tuning it properly w/ a tach, I have just been doing it by ear and transition changes, it's not showing any signs of being too lean yet, so I guess I can go in further. I'm not saying its inferior to DA, I am defending my DA's though, they do transition so cleanly, makes harriers & hovers a joy!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Ih82crash

Looks like your hover skills are coming along. The engine sounds like it is purring along without a hiccup!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
diamondave

yeh those zdz's sure sound clean running, i get compliments from all sorts of people, even spectatators that come out to watch, most say my motors sound the best....

have any of you guys replaced the hardware? if so what did you use? i mentioned stripping a linkage on a aileron, i replaced it with the same stuff for now, my buddy says go to ball links, but would that work on the clevis side being to one side or the other? the clevis is dead center, i really like the stuff on my ef plane, titanium turnbuckles and phenolic horns, i may get the tb to replace the all thread, but redoing all the horns would be a task, what happend with mine was the all thread stripped from the clevis, so that is what may need attention if anything right?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Ih82crash

I personally have all stock hardware and have not had a single problem. A couple of friends replaced everything with rocket city style hardware and they feel better about it, but I think it is a preference unless you have a specific problem.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
diamondave

im thinking maybe just redoing the linkage itself, seems to be kinda soft, and i was suprised thats what appears to have stripped on mine, not the plastic clevis, the threads on the rod are rolled over, seems odd to me, maybe it was a fluke, but im thinking maybe eventually getting new rods or something
Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Patto

Dave, you must have gotten a slightly different version that some of the rest of us. Mine came with heavy duty ball link hardware that really held up well. If you did not get that same stuff, I recommend you replace it with some good quality gear.

With the way you fly, there is no room for second-rate hardware! No more hesitating, just get the good stuff!!

-Pat
Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 PM
diamondave

mine has a ball link on the servo side with a big black plasitc clevis on the surface side, and the all thread feels kinda soft, replacing those with titanuim turnbuckles is a good idea for sure, wasnt sure about ball links where the clevis is cause it would need to go to one side or the other, i can try it and see if it binds at all and go from there, guess mine is a clasic, haha....the way i fly???[X(]
Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 PM
diamondave

since i posted my other vids on here figured id add one more... was alot of fun, i still hoping to get some of this plane with my new prop, bringing it out tomorrow so we'' see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSgDS5eAdfQ
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

This TOC 33% Yak is one sweet flying plane. My Da-85 had lot of issues. DA straightened everything out. Air leak on the intake, different piston, changed timing, bearings ect. Now it runs perfect. I've never seen a plane that needed zero coupling on knife edge. The DA-85 is over kill to say the least.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
diamondave

my buddy had some issues with his 85 as well, they didi new piston, bearings, and some shims on the hub or bearings, he heard that was an issue on some other threads, the thing didnt have enough clearance and was causing some to seize up or something, his instantly deadsticked one day, seemed too quick to be a carb issue, seemed more like ignition, but he sent it in just for a check and they did all kinds of work that seemed like it wasnt realted to the crash, he is suspicious now after reading more about the motor, too late now i guess, and he just about lost his sukoi, he is tryin to fix it....anyway, this plane is great even with the zdz80, plenty of power, i can imagine the 85 is even better, he was getting alittle more r's on the same prop then i was....
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
jrjohn

Previous to sending the DA85 in, it would deadstick on nearly every flight while changing the throttle setting to idle. Idle mixture screw was at 2 1/4 turns and still to lean, I'm sure it was an air leak on the intake as that is one of the things they fixed with a metal spacer. Since the fix I have not had one single deadstick. They got rid of the vibration with the newly designed piston as well.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 PM
diamondave

his died going from a low idle to giving it throttle, glad its better now, he will be remaidening his within the next week or two
Old 09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
jrjohn

I said that wrong in my previous post, Mine was the same as your friends, it would quite when going from idle to throttle up. I'm sure it was the intake leak that caused this. It's perfect now.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM
diamondave

we'll see what happens to his now, i dont know if they did anything with the intake or carb
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
jrjohn

I'm guessing if he looks on the list of repairs, he will find that they installed a metal intake spacer that is supposed to get rid of the air leak. It would be good to know if they made this modfication
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Flyinhi1

Hey guys, just found this thread. I'm Dave's friend with the injured Suk.....DA did indeed do the carb spacer, mid and front bearings, shim, c-clips, piston, ring, steel bolts,etc. Basically have a nearly new 85 again. Not sure what to think about all this since I have papers from when I took it for known upgrades around this time last year. Never started it until June-July of this year. Hope your on to something John if it was an air leak. Also, even though I didn't think it was that bad to begin with, if the newer piston helps with any vibration issues, that's just icing on the cake. I've got to wait til after the Shootout to be able to fly this plane again, so we'll see how it all goes. Like my name says, I'll be Flyin High until I get comfortable with this engine for a while. Never had any problems keeping it turning until this happened.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Flyinhi1

Hey guys, just found this thread. I'm Dave's friend with the injured Suk.....DA did indeed do the carb spacer, mid and front bearings, shim, c-clips, piston, ring, steel bolts,etc. Basically have a nearly new 85 again. Not sure what to think about all this since I have papers from when I took it for known upgrades around this time last year. Never started it until June-July of this year. Hope your on to something John if it was an air leak. Also, even though I didn't think it was that bad to begin with, if the newer piston helps with any vibration issues, that's just icing on the cake. I've got to wait til after the Shootout to be able to fly this plane again, so we'll see how it all goes. Like my name says, I'll be Flyin High until I get comfortable with this engine for a while. Never had any problems keeping it turning until this happened.
Sounds like they did the exact work to your engine as they did to mine. Your going to be very happy with the decrease in vibration! My muffler doesn't come loose anymore. I know how you feel about flying high. Before the upgrade I never made a landing with the engine running. I had to fly high enought assuming every landing was a deadstick. After the upgrade it has never quite. I'm down on the deck again! Now I love this motor. I should have called DA right away, rather than waiting 3 months.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Flyinhi1

I hope so, like I said though, mine didn't give me any indication ever, that something was wrong - - no loose muffler, no broken joints in the airframe from excessive vibration, started easily every time, no dead sticks , great power......I was sure I was going to be the exception to to what I'd been hearing for some time about this engine. Then boom! (actually - abrupt silence) and too low and slow to do much of anything except roll upright (I was inverted at the time) and pull full high rate elev. to flatten her out for the inevitable drop. Plopped down nearly perfectly on all three wheels, broke just the tip off one blade of the mezjlik prop, broke the spark plug in two and split the plug boot. Slightly bent the outer corner of the head cooling fin and gound in some surface asphalt from the runway to a couple other high spots around the bent fin. Pretty much a direct impact to only the top of the engine. Almost didn't even think it needed to go back to DA, but since I needed them to fix the ignition plug boot I brought the engine along with me down to DA just to see if they could do a quick check. A few days later I called to see if it was ready and they said the crank had been pushed back into the case and they had done all this work to it. I'm fine with it that they did it, but it sure didn't seem like that crash would produce the damage they said they found. I know I've pounded my 50 in a lot harder than that and never took it for a check up and it runs damn good and smooth. Just lucky there I guess, no?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Flyinhi1

I hope so, like I said though, mine didn't give me any indication ever, that something was wrong - - no loose muffler, no broken joints in the airframe from excessive vibration, started easily every time, no dead sticks , great power......I was sure I was going to be the exception to to what I'd been hearing for some time about this engine. Then boom! (actually - abrupt silence) and too low and slow to do much of anything except roll upright (I was inverted at the time) and pull full high rate elev. to flatten her out for the inevitable drop. Plopped down nearly perfectly on all three wheels, broke just the tip off one blade of the mezjlik prop, broke the spark plug in two and split the plug boot. Slightly bent the outer corner of the head cooling fin and gound in some surface asphalt from the runway to a couple other high spots around the bent fin. Pretty much a direct impact to only the top of the engine. Almost didn't even think it needed to go back to DA, but since I needed them to fix the ignition plug boot I brought the engine along with me down to DA just to see if they could do a quick check. A few days later I called to see if it was ready and they said the crank had been pushed back into the case and they had done all this work to it. I'm fine with it that they did it, but it sure didn't seem like that crash would produce the damage they said they found. I know I've pounded my 50 in a lot harder than that and never took it for a check up and it runs damn good and smooth. Just lucky there I guess, no?
Hows the 85 running now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.