Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

what do you guys mean "flip" at rudder throw? do you mean if you are trying to do a spin slide with wings level? or in a knife edge? just curious cause ive dont both and all seemed well to me, looking forward to flying this weekend, its been a while cause the tucson shootout was at my field and it was closed both weekends b4 the even also, been almost a month, but all set for saturday, and have the new 5985's in the wings now to check out
Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed it in knife edge flight mostly. It happens at full rudder deflection. The plane just flips/rolls about 1/4 turn. It happens mostly at slower speeds. If you want to experiment with it and see if you can reproduce it, be sure to give yourself some altitude to work with.

-Pat
Old 10-19-2008, 08:50 AM
diamondave

maybe i havent given it that much rudder throw yet, i know i have to use a little aileron at a slow ke to keep it level, this thing was flying great yesterday, heading out again today, i missed it, been 3 weeks or so since ive flown
Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
diamondave

i was wondering where could i find a pilot that is imac legal? has anyone put one in, even just a pilot head? how about an instrament panel? the reason i ask is i have some harley bears in mine, i love em, they are cute, but there is a chance next season i may enter a few contests, not sure, but possible, my buddy said some events out here dont enforce the rule, but some do, and i could either not be able to fly, or get dinged with points right from the start, so i am thinking of getting a "realistic" pilot head, just wondering what anyone else has used...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18034.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1056505  
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Dave I will use these guys in the future. I have the 40% guy from an event in Feb....very realistic. The owners belong to our FFAA (Florida Freestyle Aerobatic Association) and are the nicest hobby people you might meet. Cool quality.

http://www.redaerorc.com/scalepilots.html
Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Dave, I would not worry too much about the rules. If somebody wants to jump on you for not having a pilot, The CD will have to then DQ about 1/2 the planes competing. A lot of the planes today don't meet the 10% IMAC rule. Run the numbers on your red 88" plane , ( I Have one too) you will see what I mean.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Patto

ORIGINAL: diamondave

i was wondering where could i find a pilot that is imac legal? has anyone put one in, even just a pilot head? how about an instrament panel? the reason i ask is i have some harley bears in mine, i love em, they are cute, but there is a chance next season i may enter a few contests, not sure, but possible, my buddy said some events out here dont enforce the rule, but some do, and i could either not be able to fly, or get dinged with points right from the start, so i am thinking of getting a "realistic" pilot head, just wondering what anyone else has used...
I'll show you what I am using. I bought a $15 pilot from Tower Hobbies, (I think it's by Great Planes) and had to trim it a bit to get it to fit. I just recently added it after enough people asked why I didn't put a pilot in the plane. And, to add to the effect, I found some close-up pictures of an instrument panel for a different brand Yak 54 on the internet. I just printed those up on regular paper, cut them out, and used a kids' glue stick to paste them in place. I know it's not the nicest set-up out there, but it was cheap and I think it fits the IMAC guidelines.

Sorry for the bluriness in some of the pictures.

-Pat

EDIT: Here is a link to a few pics of my Yak in action: (scroll down to Oct. 13th) http://www.eugenerc.com/pictures.php

Name:	Mj24472.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1056765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65932.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1056766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48534.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1056767  
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM
diamondave

that looks pretty good i think
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Patto

I checked Tower and the pilot is $12.99. The instrument panel is, of course, just about free, (I'm sure we could add a nominal cost if you figure in a few drops of ink from the printer and a sheet of paper).

I'm pretty happy with it.

I've heard that if you go to a craft store and by the little wobbly eyes for puppets, dolls, and whatnot, that you can use the lenses from the eyes for gauge covers and get a nice effect. I don't know if there is a size that fits these or not.

I'd be happy to PM the link for the picture of the dash, if you want, or you can surf around and look for a dash panel that may fit our Yak, say from Aeroworks...(hint, hint). I don't want to get yelled at for cheating...

You could also go to Chief's website and look at the pictures of their full-scale dash panels for aerobatic aircraft like the RV4 and you could find a suitable picture, resize it, print it, and glue it. If I had known it was this easy and cheap, I would have done this with all my planes by now.

-Pat
Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM
diamondave

send me the link if you can, im about to look around now, i did find tons of pilots now that i really looked, just not sure if i want to get an unpainted and have the wife make him orange/blue somehow to really match, or just get one no matter what color he is and say the hell with it, another question, i was thinking of cutting the back of the canopy area out to reach in, not sure how easy my bears will come out, they are epoxied in, may leave fur or peel the paper part off the floor, then i need to reach in and touch up the front somehow, and glue the panel in from raching in, so a one piece would make that easier, the other thought is to cut the floor out and redo it with light-ply or something, or spend the $50 and get a new plastic canopy and start over, mine is kind boogerd up cause i redid it once already
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Patto

Ideally I would get a new canopy to work with, but second best would be to cut out the floor, I think. You should re-do it with balsa, though, or you can just leave it out. What did you use to glue/attach the canopy onto the hatch? I used a flexible canopy glue that I just cut through and removed the canopy.

-Pat
Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Patto

Dash panel link: http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=295
Old 10-25-2008, 07:52 AM
diamondave

i used that canopy safe glue,and screws, i redid it once already cause the 1st time i cut the canopy, mounted it, glued and screwed, then after dry put it on the plane and i had stretched it too much[:@], it was causing a gap to the plane, so i cut it apart, mounted in on plane then redid it, but cutting the glue off was kinda a b&t%ch, the knife sliped once or twice and sliced into the canopy 1" or so, and since i had stretched it in the 1st place, now there are some spots where the canopy barley reaches onto the structure enough, so spending the money for a new one may be a good idea anyway if i want it to look better than it does now, i checked out the areowork dash, looks good, but did you notice the instalation pic shows it in the front cockpit, i want it in the back with the pilot, and looking at my canopy it appears the back dash is a little smaller, maybe its an illusion not sure, but i dont want to cut that down to fit and end up cutting into a guage or something ya know, i looked at the virtual cockpits from tbm, they are cool, comes with both panels and a mach floor section to look like a real plane, the good thing about that is if i mess up the floor pulling the bears out, ie leaving fur or tearing the grey paper, that floor from them would hide that, instead of trying to repaint it, but they are $60-$70 depending on if you get a diff color shirt sleeve for the pilot, and some of those pics looks like the background is yellow, not sure if they are all like that, dont know how yellow would look in an orange plane, didnt call them to ask, plus i dont know if i want to spend that kind of money, if i got there matching pilot, the canopy and cockpit we're talking $130 or more, where as the $12 pilot from tower looks good enough for me, and the dash from aw might even work too for $27 or so, i think it depends on what i do with the canopy, i may cut the back out and try and get mine out, if it messes it all up, i can order all the stuff from tbm and start over, if they come out easy, i may just go the less $$ way, the tbm way may look the most "finished", but ive never been know to be a contest worthy scale builder either

http://troybuiltmodels.com/VC.htm
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
diamondave

here is a close up of the worst part of my canopy, you can see where the knife sliped, the cut hasnt gotten any bigger, i ca'd it and ptu clear tape on the inside, the other spot is where the canopy was short, so i used silicon to help hold it, from 10' it looks fine....so not sure yet what to do

Name:	Hf98069.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1058488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66774.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1058489  
Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 AM
diamondave

ptu=put, hehe
Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Patto

I say buy a new canopy and the cheap pilot bust from Tower. Then, you can find any number of pictures of dash panels online that you can re-size and print out. I used the same dash for front and back, and I did have to do some trimming on the rear one, but I made it work. One nice thing about the AW pic is that I didn't need to do any re-sizing, I just printed, cut, and pasted it.

-Pat
Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Ih82crash

Here are some pics from this weekend. This plane will 3d like no other!!

Name:	Om33588.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1059224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13510.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1059225  
Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
diamondave

nice pics

i thought about getting the canopy and going with the tower pilot, but im one of those guys that like to go all or nothing, plus, if i figure the canopy, tower pilot, and dash from aw, with shipping on all from 3 diff places, it will be $100 or so, spend another $30 or so from tbm and get the vc and there matchin pilot, its the canopy thing that is the desiding factor to me, if i dont buy one, then tower pilot for sure and either aw dash or print out pic myself, still debating, may not do anything with it, im thinking of getting the ef110yak, i now have half the $$ for it since i sold my electric, cant get motor or other stuff until i sell my 88yak, but anyway if i knew i can get that plane ready before next imac season, id leave my bears in this one, they are cute and i get some compliments from them at the field, id use the 110yak in any contest i decide to enter anyway, so we'll see, changing this one either way would be kinda cool i guess, whether i get the 110 yak in time or not, wont hurt
Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
diamondave

change of plans, i will get the canopy, tower pilot, and try and print my own dash somewhere, i fiugure get this one ready incase i dont have the 110 ready, plus it can be a back up, my buddy always brings 2 planes when he goes to compete, especially out of town, so might as well get it ready, ordering tower pilot now, will keep you guys posted...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Patto

Take a few pics when it's ready...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM
diamondave

will do, ordered canopy today, pilot yesterday, printed out dash pics from aw, hope fully it will work out
Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Yeah Dave.....all ya gotta do now is to fly a straight line
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Patto

I had a little accident today... This wasn't a flying error, but a set-up error... I'm not going to admit my stupid mistake.

On a completely unrelated side-note that had nothing to do with my crash, always remember to refuel.

-Pat

Name:	Mj24541.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1061091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30888.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1061092  
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Ih82crash

The good news is that it looks to be Very fixable! so maybe a cheap lesson
Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

How much of a difference is there going from 30% to 33% SD Yak? Looking at weight & wing span, it doesnt seem like it would feel much bigger. I hope its worth the extra $$, I may never be able to afford a 35-40%, maybe a garage sale!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.