Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Chip Hyde 34% Extra Assembly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Chip Hyde 34% Extra Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:18 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Hyde 34% Extra Assembly

This is about my experiences with the assembly of the Chip Hyde 34% Extra. I ordered the twin pack so I could build one for my son and one for me for Christmas. When the planes came, there was one ARC and one had the the fuselage crushed. The planes came from Aeroworks. Chip had a fuselage at his place so he sent that to me within a week. Thanks Chip! The second arf came in about a week from Aeroworks.
There were a few missing items that were also sent in a timely manner.

The first step in the manual is to unpack everything, inspect all the parts and re-shrink the covering (Cina Crap). Be very careful on the seems and do not get the covering too hot. Make shure to use a sock on the iron. In about an hour I had the wrinkles out and the plane looked very good. Ready for actual assembly.

Bob
Old 12-22-2005, 03:35 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Default RE: Chip Hyde 34% Extra Assembly

Im assembling the same plane, but i striped all the covering off first. and putting my own scheme on.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:10 PM
canavanbob

I thought about that, but the covering doesn't look bad and I have to have them done by Christmas. If they are good flyers, maybe later.
Did you have any problems with the canopy in the rear hatch? Mine the angle where the hatch mates with the turtle deck did not match. Had to sand the forward face of the turtle deck to make it fit.
Bob
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM
DENNIS C

Everything on mine fits like a glove.

Good news all my covering just came in

What is your set up going to be bob
Old 12-22-2005, 07:10 PM
canavanbob

I am using a 100cc engine that was built for racing running glow. I had Ralph Cunningham convert it back to gas and set it up. He said it runs good. I have not run it since I got it back. I am having mufflers welded up for it now.

Servos are all 8411's on control surfaces.

Receiver is Multiplex 12 channel IPD. I use this so I can match everything in the radio and stil have failsafe. It has worked great for about six planes now.

Batteries will be 5 cell NiMH with two batteries on receiver. The receiver will isolate the battery if one goes bad.

Switches will be HD Cermark.

Bob
Old 12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Tobe
My Feedback: (10)

Dennis or Bob, What type of hinges will you be using? Can the ARC be set up for Robart or Klett style hinges without major surgery?

This plane looks good for my new DA 100 but CA hinges are a deal breaker for me.

Thanks, Tobe
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 AM
canavanbob

I used the CA hinges. I have always had good luck with CA hinges. The only plane I have that is bigger than 35% is a Weeks Solution and it has Robart hinges. Dennis would be able to give you a better answer because he is recovering his. I think it would be very easy to switch to Robart hinges or even pinned hinges. I have an ARC that looks like there is 3/4 to an inch to anchor the hinge point. I have used hinge points with as little as 1/2 inch of grip with no problem. I am probably going to sell the ARC cheap as I got a good deal on it. PM me if you may be interested.
Bob
Old 12-23-2005, 07:45 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Pictures,,,
Old 12-23-2005, 08:25 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Tobe

Dennis or Bob, What type of hinges will you be using? Can the ARC be set up for Robart or Klett style hinges without major surgery?

This plane looks good for my new DA 100 but CA hinges are a deal breaker for me.

Thanks, Tobe
We have 5 of these flying at our field with a couple more coming for next season. I've assembled 2. We have all used CA hinges in all these planes. I replace the supplied ones with the large Radio South CA hinges and double them up. I add another hinge in-between the slots cut for the stock set up. You'll use a lot of them, it only takes a few minutes but it will not fail. I didn't trust the china brand hinge but several others are using them with no issues. Didn't mean to butt in on your thread but I thought this may help....Here's a pix of the same plane called a "Planes Plus", they fly great
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16969.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	374544  
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 AM
DENNIS C

Im going to use the flat dubro hinges, i'll post some pictures later on today...as i just woke up and i havent had my first cup of coffee
Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the ARC. You can find pictures in the "Stay tuned-Extreme aircraft 34% Extra..." thread.
You can VERY easily modify the ARC or ARF for robarts if you feel the need. As for me, if I ever finish this thing, I will be going with radio-south CA hinges.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Roadster
My Feedback: (1)

I've have two CHP 300's. The one I'm fling now has the CA hinges, and the one I'm building has Robart. Not having any problem with the CA hinges. I think Dave Brown makes a heavy duty CA hinge??
Hope you have the same experience with your CHP as I am with mine. It is awesume.

Greg
Old 12-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Tobe
My Feedback: (10)

O.K. thanks for the info. guys.

Tobe
Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Rob Howarth

Assistance Please

Can any CHP E330 owners that have flown their CHP E330 please tell me what CofG position they are using. I am having a few 'issues' with CofG. The manual states 8" from the leading edge, however I am not sue that this is correct, given most of the manual is, according to CHP 'not correct'

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 PM
chrisansilver
My Feedback: (17)

Rob123 I maidened mine w/ 8" from leading edge at fuse, just fine. I removed canopy and forward fuse cover then I drew a line acrosss top of fuse opening and used string to get measurement at wing tips, plane is to large to use CG machine, worked well for me. Good safe starting point. Excellent 3der good plane........
DA 100
5645's on elevators and ailerons
5955 on rudder SWB pull pull set up
3151's on throttle