Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Aeromaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Kev
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Aeromaster

Hello all

Does anyone have any experience with the Great planes giant aeromaster?
I was wondering what type of servos would be good for a plane of this size? The instructions call for high torque servos but no oz/in values are given. I was looking at the HS-605 at 73 oz/in would this be enough or should I go tho the 1/4 scale servos at around 130 oz/in torque?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 11-25-2002, 02:07 AM
bkseyer
My Feedback: (36)

Default Servos

Hi Kev, I used the 605 metal gear in the elevator halves and the ailerons. For the rudder I used a 705 metal gear. For the throttle I used a regular servo.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:49 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Giant Aeromaster

Hi Kevin,

I use HS-605's on all flight surfaces. One for each aileron (4). I've been flying this plane since the early Spring and it has been one of the most fun planes that I've ever had. Power is a G-62 and it weighs 20.5 pounds.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37497_709.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	23385  
Old 11-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Big_Bird

Default Giant Aeromaster

One more shot.

Name:	37498_709.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	23386  
Old 11-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Kev
My Feedback: (6)

Default Giant Aeromaster

Thanks for the reply guys

I'll go with the 605's

Nice color scheeme Ken

Thanks

Kevin
Old 11-26-2002, 12:43 PM
teefly-RCU

Default Giant Aeromaster

this plane is a beauty and builds like a tank! i use the standard futaba servos that came with my 6 channel on the ailerons (4) and run 6 volts on the battery too jack up the torque. high torque on the elevators and rudder. this combination has worked great.
flies on the US41 w/20x8 MAS Classic and flys with authority. have years of fun with this one!
Old 11-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Big_Bird

Default Giant Aeromaster

For those of you building or planning to build a Giant Aeromaster here are are a few things to think about.

Build it as light as possible. To do this, look at the structure and remove as much excess wood as possible without compromising strength. Example: putting lightening holes in the lite ply sides. Since I planned to fly off grass, I left off the wheel pants and made hub caps to dress up the wheels. The redundant batterys are 2 ea 700 mah NIMH 4 cell packs. I also used the very light weight CH Electronics Jump Start on the G-62 instead of a spring starter.

I highly recommend the use of 4 servos for the ailerons. The installation is much cleaner and aileron athourity is excellent.

Since I wanted a lot of control ability at slow speeds (stall turns, etc.) and flat spins, I extended the length of the elevators by 1 inch and the rudder by 1 1/2 inch. As designed, the elevator and rudder looked pretty gumpy with their non tapered rounded trailing edges. I tapered these to a 1/8" trailing edge with a vertical belt sander. Don't know if helps the flying but sure looks better.

When I first started flying this plane I noticed that it was a bit "twichy" in pitch. No, it wasn't too much throw on the elevator. The plane as designed and built was set up at 0 degree on elevator and wings. To correct the "twichy" problem I changed the incidence of the top wing to -1 degree. I did this by adding a couple of flat washers to each rear cabane strut. Of course I had to adjust the wing struts and used a Robert incidence meter in doing this. The negative incidence gives the wings a little "tow in effect" for lack of a better term. "Twichy" problem solved.

Since I used a G-62 for power I knew from experience that the plane would need right thrust in the engine. I set the right thrust at 2 degrees. On a still day the plane will track straight down the runway with no need for rudder input. Sure makes takeoffs nice. When you put right thrust in the engine you have to move the rear of the engine a little to the left to compensate. This makes the prop come out in the right place. I believe the designer had 1 1/2 degrees of down thrust and I didn't change this.

With 3 servos in the rear of the plane, I still had to add about 1 1/2 oz in the tail to achive proper balance.

The lower wing is mounted with 4 ea 1/4-20 nylon screws. I found that engine vibration caused friction charing at the leading edge of the wing. Tommy Meisel sent me a good fix for this. As shown in the photo, a block was installed on the wing to fit tightly between the fuselage sides and prevent the high frequency side to side motion.

If I think of anything else that I did, I'll add it to this post.

Ken

Name:	37671_709.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	23387  
Old 12-15-2002, 02:32 AM
vrpro

Default new giant aeromaster

Ok this will be the second Giant Aeromaster I have built. The first one didnt get to see the air, but quite a few hours in the yard LOL. Anyway the US41 I had on it seemed to be good even though the feedback I got from others on that engine. Thus my first question. I can get another us41 for 250 or I have an offer of a G62 from a friend at the field for 300 and it had never been flown. Just wondering what the owners of the Giant Aeromaster thought.

Second question the big one .

Even though I have flown off and on for 15 or so years I always go back to my trusty Tiger 60 ( low wing trainer ) which I have no problems handling even after 1 year or so away from the sticks. Do you think I will have a problem with the Giant Aeromaster? As I have never flown a tail dragger before.

Thanks for the help

Vrpro

attached is a pic of the old one before I sold her.

Name:	41035_21826.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	23388  
Old 12-15-2002, 04:51 AM
Big_Bird

Default Giant Aeromaster

Vrpro,

I really didn't understand what happened to your first GA. I assume you must have sold it before you flew it. The photo looks good.

I have no real opinion on the US41 since I've never had one or flown one. From my research on the internet, it seems that far more people use the G-62 in Giant Aeromasters than any other engine. I'm sure power and reliability is the reason.

I have no way to know your flying skills but if you use a few of the setup tips that I told about above, they should improve your chances. The one about the 2 degrees of right engine thrust is an important one to make your take off easy.

I've been flying RC since 1967 and the only two trike geared planes that I've had were a Goldberg Senior Falcon and a Cowboy 15. All the rest have been tail draggers. If you have good flying skills, a tail dragger should be no problem. Enlist the help of a tail dragger pilot in your club to help.

Ken
Old 12-15-2002, 08:21 AM
vrpro

Default Giant Aeromaster

Thanks for the info. Yes I sold it before I ever flew it, sadly to say I chickened out. This time I will keep it . My skills are fine its the stick time I need after 2 years away from the hobby.

I look forward to finishing it and flying it. I am looking into putting a good smoke system into it as well.

Ill let you know how I do lol.

Im including a pic of my tiger that I fly now just for kicks
Vrpro

Name:	41096_21826.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	23389  
Old 12-15-2002, 08:28 AM
vrpro

Default Giant Aeromaster

This is my cessna I am working on at this time. Glassed and PPG Automotive finish. Still need to paint the wing and add the int and lights. Then I will finish the Giant Aeromaster

Again thanks for your inpot

Name:	41098_21826.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	23390  
Old 12-15-2002, 07:12 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default Giant Aeromaster

Hey that Cessna is looking really good!