Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

D&l Edge 540 80"

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 04:48 AM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D&l Edge 540 80"

HAS ANYBODY BUILT OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE KITS? CAN YOU SCRATCH BUILD WITH JUST THE PLANS?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:31 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Default D&l Edge 540 80"

2lo
I don't know about the 80" but I am building the 60" and all the ribs, formers and some other parts are printed on the plans.
So I would say you could build it from the plans.

DEG
Old 01-21-2002, 06:25 PM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

Default D&l Edge 540 80"

I bought those plans and yes you can scratch build from them. They look quite nice in fact and they also sell various wood parts and glass parts if you need. I scaled mine down to 25% to make a glass fuselage. Nice plans.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:12 PM
WalkerBoh-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default D&L 80" Edge`

I built one of these last winter. It's a wonderful airplane. The plans are for the most part clear, with only a couple of difficult-to-read areas. Mine were blueprints. All parts required to build the aircraft are on the plans. There are instructions on building an airfoil tail as well as the flat tail. There is an instruction book that helps tremendously. One word of caution: There is a 1/64" ply doubler on the fuse side. The instructions say to use contact cement to attach the doubler. I would strongly recommend that you epoxy it in place as mine de-laminated and it's a VERY important part of the structure. I just have to figure out how to get glue behind it now...

As for the finished product, it's a great flying airplane. I have a ZDZ 40 in mine and it's plenty of power. All up weight is about 15 lbs dry.

Just a final note. Doug Lee of D&L Designs is a great guy. He is more than willing to help if you run into problems or have any questions.

-Aaron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1380_2376.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1614  
Old 01-22-2002, 01:14 AM
2lo

Default D@L EDGE 540

Thanks I Was really wandering about how well the plans were drawn out. hey WALKERBOH youre engine selection is the one i'm really leaning towards.what do you think of it? how was you're installation, did the plane balance easily?, is the performance vertical? did the engines specs live up to advertised? also did the construction wood seem heavy or light? Thank You all for help. i think i'll give them a call.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1395_535.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1615  
Old 01-22-2002, 01:49 AM
WalkerBoh-RCU

Default D&l Edge 540 80"

The ZDZ 40 is a great little engine. It starts easily and is about as simple as they come. The electronic ignition has a great safety feature built in so if there are no revolutions of the prop in one minute, it shuts off. I get around 6500 RPM with a 20x10 prop. RCFAQ has a great data base of engines for comparison, and mine compares favorably. As for mounting, on the Edge it's a cinch. Just cut a hole in the firewall and cut the box sides to size (I got the wood pack and it was designed for a moki so I had to re-make the box).

I would highly suggest that you get the wood pack. The wood quality was exceptional and seemed to have been chosen for it's density and purpose (i.e. wing ribs are very light weight, heavier wood was used in more critical areas). The laser cutting was exceptional.

As far as construction, the airframe is fairly light weight, but I'm sure that you could lighten it even more (the fuse is solid balsa...no lightening holes). It came out slightly nose heavy, but I think that this season I will remove all tail weight to move the C G back slightly. I haven't flown this plane enough to totally evaluate it's vertical performance (it's my first giant scale and I'm still a little gun shy about screwing a $1500 plane into the ground), but from the little I've seen, it will be very good. Doug told me that with the moki "there is no gravity". I couldn't see spending that much on fuel tho. Another option would be the RCS 1.80. I've seen one of these pull a H9 cap around like it was a feather.

One additional note, I was a little disappointed in the quality of the cowl and wheel pants I received from D&L's supplier. The mold lines were huge and it took a long time to get a decent looking piece. Other than that, GREAT PLANE. I love it and can't recommend it highly enough if you're willing to do the work.

-Aaron
Old 01-22-2002, 02:38 AM
2lo

Default D&L EDGE 540

Wow laser cut huh. that definately makes the wood pack worthwhile. what was the wing area if you don't mind me asking. yes i agree with on taking youre time to get use to plane.the cost of glow fuel is really what is getting me to look at at gas engines,thus the increase in size of plane. I just dont like the cost of some of the larger kits even if they are of good qaulity.thanks youre a big help,i'm sure i'll be asking you more questions later.

BTW, your plane really turned out great.

-Todd
Old 01-23-2002, 05:14 AM
Wings-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D&l Edge 540 80"

Walkerboh, Check this out, I think I'm seeing double.. It's a 29% aeroworks.

&*%$, for some reason I can't post a picture, check out the link..
My Planes
Old 01-23-2002, 05:21 PM
WalkerBoh-RCU

Default nice plane

Wow....twins! Actually, the bottom of my wing is an alternating red and white stripe because I could not for the life of me find out what the bottom of greg's plane looked like. I even e-mailed him! I like yours better tho.

-Aaron
Old 01-23-2002, 11:08 PM
Wings-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D&l Edge 540 80"

AARON,
Try this link.
Bottom of Greg Poe's Edge

By the way I noticed that your Edge has wing tip counter balances. Is this part of the D&L plans or did you add your own like I had to do on the AW kit. How does the D&L fly, and how did it come out as far as weight.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:26 PM
WalkerBoh-RCU

Default D&l Edge 540 80"

The wing tip counterbalances are part of the D&L design. They are mass counterbalanced also. Scroll up to see the answers to the other questions <G>.

-Aaron