Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

MPI Regulators

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPI Regulators

I have heard rumors of people loosing Giant scale aircraft to MPI regulators. If this is true can you post your setups / issues here. On the other hand if you have had no problems with MPI regs also please post the info / setup here.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: MPI Regulators

I've never had a problem with mine. However, having said that, I just bought a Smart Fly and that's all i'm going to use in my gassers.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:08 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

I was running their adjustable Reg. Great unit, very well built, never had a problem. They are sitting on my shelf now....thinking of transplanting them into my H9 Suk.

Neo Out!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Yes, lost one to them on a 33%. Never used them since with Li-Ion, six years now with no problem.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Had a buddies burn up... perhaps due to a locked servo...

Problem with them is that they are rated higher than they can actually perform. They have only a single recievr plug that is good for 3.5 amps before dropping voltage to your servos. The heatsink is covered with shrink wrap. That's kind of like covering up your radiator with cardboard isn't it?

They are fine for smaller airplanes with 5 stnadrad servos... but the GS are often using all digitals and sometimes 9+... much higher demand and taxing on the MPI's

The SmartFly regs have dual receiver plugs for higher capacity and a large exposed heatsink to dissipate the heat rather than snuggle in close with it...

They also use a higher quality "something or other chip" that has a higher rating for amps.

Once I went to them, I never went back. Lover these things with a passion. When you look at the two there really is no comparison.

ORIGINAL: RobT

I have heard rumors of people loosing Giant scale aircraft to MPI regulators. If this is true can you post your setups / issues here. On the other hand if you have had no problems with MPI regs also please post the info / setup here.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 02-08-2006, 12:19 PM
RC51
My Feedback: (1)

Don't use the preset MPI regulators not even on ignition. I tried using these in my 33% and one burned up while range testing on the ground. The adjustable ones are the old Powerflite regs and they work great. I've been using them for two years without a single issue flying very hard 3D maneuvers and IMAC.

Doug
Old 02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I've been using an MPI adjustable and an MPI miracle switch on my QQ yak for a couple months now with no problems....

but with that being said.... best on many posts and conversations with IMAC advanced and higher pilots.... I have ordered a couple Fromecos to go in my plane.....
Old 02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
babflyer

Ive got a couple adjustables with 6 flights or so on them no problems. I was asking about and researching this same topic last fall and decided on the mpi adjustables. Question about the smartflys with dual plugs. How are you supposed to plug all of that into your reciever? I have to use a Y harness as it is to feed a second plug into my reciever. Somethin Just doesnt seem right to have 3Y's just for getting juice to the reciever/servos.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
babflyer

If I remember correctly I was advised against using the non adjustable regulators by Troy Built Models. I might be mistaking, maybe internet information made me think that but somehow I went with the adjustables. I would say give Troy Built a call, very helpfull and I am plenty happy with his batteries also.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

I have watched one of my buddies smash a 35% extra in to the ground because the MPI reg went bad, granted it did perform flawlessly for several years before its demise. Personally I run fromecos and couldn't be happier with them...a little extra money for a good regulator is cheap insurance on a GS plane.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Maudib

I usually end up using one "Y" for the second lead... I "Y" channel 5 which I use for ignition cutoff. Never had to use more than one "Y"... why do you need to use 3?

The way you state it makes it sound like it's complicated, but reall it just has two receiver leads. One of which can share in "Y" if necssary. The abttery side has a deans connector for the pack... it's just plain smart and simple.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:50 PM
ben beyer

Just look into a Smart Fly system. I just bought a system from them and I would say they are the DA of the power system world. Just my opinion though.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM
NeoGenesis

One product that caught my attention is Smart Fly's Super and Turbo Regs. 2 Inputs, 2 adjustable regs, 2 outputs, 1 failsafe switch for the whole unit. Best part....fully redundant!!! It worth taking a peak at. I bought one for my new AM 33% Yak.

Neo Out!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
RNick

I fly with a guy that has had 2 mpi nonajustable regs go bad. Was on a 2 bat 2 reg setup so it didn't cost him his plane. I went with Fromeco.

Randy
Old 02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

I use 2 nonadjustables on lionsin a redundant system. When they go are the frying the rx or just plain failing.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:01 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

My non-adjustable MPI regulator went bad. Mine didn't cost me my plane, but it almost caught me a hand. The 50 cc plane went to wide open throttle. It pulled the stakes out of the ground, the plane chopped the begeezus out of my hand. I sent the faulty regulator to MPI. After about 3 weeks went by, I called them to see what was up. They said the regulator was bad but it had to have been my fault. They said I must have had it mounted wrong. I had it double wrapped in half inch foam, secured in the back half of the plane. They did replace the regulator though.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Maudib

Ouch man... and that doesn't even describe it... glad I wasn't eating.

As I said then are overrated, use the cheapest IC and the heatsink is hidden so it just can't dissipate heat like it should.

NEVER wrap a reg in foam... place a small suare underneath the side that deos NOT have the heatsink and ziptie down... you might even slip a piece of fuel tubing around the ziptie to cushion even further. Someguys will even starp it straight to the ply... and since it's all SMT... is probably just fine too...

Take a look at this and the MPI reg.... no comparison.

SmartFly Adjustable reg only $35 with Failsafe switch $48...

MPI Adjustable Reg (better than the stock $20 one) $35 with only one lead (max 3.5 amps) Miracle switch $40

There is no real savings, but a whole lot more reg with the SmarFLy.

If Smartlfy "rated" their regs like MPI did it would be something like 20 amp continuous. but he rates them in practical situations.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45805.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	404790  
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 AM
RobT

Thanks guys. These are going back. My bench tests said they sucked . . . I will give Smart-fly a call.

Rob

P.S. Since my switch does not have two outputs, I am going to cut the connector off and put a deans ultra on, and they cut the connectors of the two inputs of the reg and solder both of them to a deans ultra.

P.P.S I am also thinking of chnaging my 40% to li and a reg . . .what about there? Smart-fly or Fromeco?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM
NeoGenesis

Either or works.......I like the fromeco battereis, but since my Turbo Reg has arrived, I'm throughly impressed by it. And for the price, it's just as cheap or cheaper than buying 2 GOOD regs and failsafe switches.

Neo Out!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Maudib

RobT... Instead of doing that... (and adding costs by buying Deans)

Get the version with failsafe switch... if you already have the switch in your plane, you can use it to switch the failsafe reg on and off... and not have to cut anything off. It has a Deans on the battery end and two receiver leads on the other... a sperate "switch lead" allows you to plug in the supplied switch or a switch you may already have mounted. I started using their flag pin switches and they are nice... very small on the outside of the plane... less hacking.

Smartfly doesn't sells packs... Fromeco does do great packs and regs too but a little heavier than Smartfly's

Troubuilt models sell good packs as well for $54... (4800 mah Lion) Welded tabs, etc...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Maudib

In some ways it's better... even though you only have ONE reg, that's good as two regs in a system don't work well together.

The SuperReg and TurboReg are sweet in that they incorporate the Battshare technology and if one dies the other is good to go. In addition, you cane use two 2400 packs (2s1p) lions and gte the advantage of a 4800 pack AND redundancy... saving the need for a second 4800 pack (and 6.6 oz).

All of SmartFLy's prodcuts are very well though out.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
NeoGenesis

I had to clarify this....and actually had to go read the product descriptions to make sure. The Super reg only has one reg in it. The Turbo reg had dual regs. Personally I purchased the Turbo reg just for that feature. Redudancy is good!!

Neo
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
ben beyer

I just attached my Smart Fly Regulator with some velcro. Bob at Smart Fly said that was a good way to do it. I also did the BatShare that way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97806.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	404827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33371.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	404828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86743.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	404829  
Old 02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using standard MPI's with no problems.......2 yrs

But I mount mine on two blocks with about 1/4 gap under the middle for airflow and foam on on the ends. Rubberbanded down.

I've temped mine and they come out just fine after a flight.

I'm sure some people burned them up from improper install, and some have burned up from defects. You can say the same thing about batteries from different companies.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:46 PM
RobT

Sweetpea . . . what was the setup?

Marzo . . . when the reg went bad did it fry the receiver, or did it just die completely? (no power to anything) I was wondering why the fail safe didn't kick in?

Ben... Thanks I will copy that!

All ...I was wondering with the super and turbo reg if any one component filed if it would bring everything down. I still like the idea of having two completely separate units in case something fails.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.