Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

HELP ST 2300 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HELP ST 2300 problem

freebird1: Place a good clear photo of that Supertiger 2300. I may be interested in buying it. Then you wont,t have to monkey with it anymore. Capt,n
Old 03-18-2006, 02:06 AM
freebird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

preivers, I read your mods carefully. Still dies. I have 18 plane and about 4 of them have tigre and run fine. This one is a plane killer with the stock carb. Thank you for your replys, but mods seem to be hit and mis with this one. most post say no matter what shape the carb is, you have to custom it. If the grove is straight you have to mod it, If it is the dogleg you have to mod it. The cat eye needs to be down, up, side or some other way. The nipple needs to be larger on some. you may have a engine that may or may not need a plug change. Run 3 gal of nitro from 5 to 18 % fuel. The point I am making is you may spend hours trying to get a new engine to run. I want to spend hours in the air and not take a chance on crashed my bird. Thank about it. Get a engine run $50 worth of fuel, tinker with the carb for hours, and then hope you got it right. Then you mount it in a $1000 bird and again hope. I am dieing to fly this one. I got my perry carb today and hope it will fix my troubles. Well, I will know atleast if it is the carb or not regardless. I do not mean to degrade anyone, but the 2300 is making me crazy. I will report.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:35 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is a lemon, why waste time or money on it? Shine it up, and use it as paper weight instead.
I have an OS BGX that deserves this treatment, so it seems not a previlige of any particular brand.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Oldbob

Freebird, I posted this info on another thread. I hope it will help you. "WOT is where the problem is, so do not go there. Start with the engine running at 50% to 65% throttle open and set needle for peak RPM at that throttle setting. Use a tachometer and watch the RPM increase as you open the throttle. When RPM no longer increases STOP opening the throttle and reset the high-speed needle for peak RPM at that throttle setting. Keep doing this until you reach a throttle setting where further opening does not increase RPM and you may even hear the engine go a bit lean. Now close the throttle a few degrees and do whatever it takes to prevent the throttle from opening any further. You will know when you are at the optimum setting when the high-speed needle valve responds as it should, ¼ turn in engine goes lean ¼ turn out engine goes rich. After this is done set the idle needle for a good idle and throttle response. That’s it for that particular engine setup. If you change props, fuel location etc. this setting may need to be adjusted, but only slightly."

I hope this makes it clear. Have fun

Old Bob
Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
waterfalls
My Feedback: (26)

hey freebird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to Old Bob and I

The same thing happened to all of us and here is your fix!

DO NOT LET YOUR CARB OPEN COMPLETELY AT FULL THROTTLE!

There is NO rpm Gain after the Carb is 85% open, and even worse it makes transition SUCK!

Simply do what Old bob Said or use my method and you'll be in heaven!

Here's what I did,

1. Set carb to 100% open and running at peak

2. start closing the carb a little at a time while leaning the needle to regain that TOP RPM.

3. Continue doing this until you can't reach peak RPM anymore by leaning the needle. Simply open the carb back up a couple clicks and your done!

-NOW you KNOW How much AIR is required to reach Peak RPM!

*MAKE SURE YOU SET YOUR NEW CARB POSITION TO BE YOUR NEW FULL THROTTLE SETTING.

To help here's my setup:

-OS F Plug

-Bisson Pitts with 1 tube blocked and then drilled out with 7/64 drill bit. (allows excessive oil and fuel to drain)

-Large fuel tubing on EVERYTHING including Large clunk

-14 ounce fuel Tank = Solid 15 minute flight NOT including taxi and landing. (conventional tank setup)
*Tank Must be center with SPRAYBAR! NOT thrustline

-Mejzlik 18x6 (9000 rpm on 5% Omega) !!!!! Prop is For Sale !!!!! -- going to be using 19x6 Bolly ---

This Combo has finally gave me NO deadsticks, Idle at 2300, PERFECT 3D Transition, and Hey! how can you say no to 9K on 5%?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:42 AM
freebird1

gang

I have to say I am sorry Bob. Ok, sometimes we think we know what we are doing and that is when we realy do not know much. I did the mods, and it did help. Mad and ready to take a hammer to the D*MN thing, I ordered a perry carb. Put it on and man it was even worse. We did everything to that engine and carb. We poloished and measured it till NASA would have aproved it. My friend after 6 hours stated what about the tank. I rolled my eyes and told him yes yes its ok and blew in the tank. I stated see it holds pressure, hear the and see clunk movenment, it is ok. He would not stop till I pulled the tank. It was one of those tanks with 3 ports. I filled one with plastic weld. Yes you guessed it a pin hole. fix the problem and runs fine. loads on the bottom a bit but classic perry problem. I have not done it yet, but I would say the stock carb will be fine, if not better than the perry now. Thanks gang for putting up with a stupid KNOW IT ALL Now that I know this engine I may just get me another one

Thanks
Freebird
Old 03-31-2006, 10:49 AM
freebird1

Thanks for the info waterfalls. I think after a few flight I may put the stock carb back on the 2300. The perry loads on the bottom a bit and can not get it out with the very very little movement of the idle disk. just a 1000 on an inch makes all the differance with this carb, but it is ok. When I put the stock carb back on I will report.

Freebird
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
freebird1

Well, I have to say I will never own a ST 2300. I had the engine running like a top on the ground at a fly in. A guy came up to me and said he had an edge like mine he was building and asked me how I like the engine. I told him I like the engine when she runs. I took the edge up and she was a site in the sky. I was going to land and she was just a little hot so, I went a few clicks up on the sticks to make another round and bomb engine dies. Now that makes two planes I have lost to this engine. The guy that had talked to me said no way am I putting that in my bird. I have flown for years and never had an engine this bad. As a matter of fact I have only lost one other 1/4 scale bird to engine dieing. Sorry ST, you make some great engines, but this one needs to be taken off of the market.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like the same problem I experienced with the ST 3000 a few years back and everyone had all kinds of fixes because a ton of people were experiencing the flame-outs in the air no matter what they did. A friend of mine even suggested to try olive oil being designed in Italy but the best solution was to get it the "H" out of your airplane!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both I, and Bob Pastorello got these engines purring most reliably throughout the whole throttle range. A friend's engine I tuned, now has reached the 50 gallon mark on a Laser aerobatic plane, and he replaced it with his spare engine. He took the carb I modified to the new engine, and it runs just as reliable. They only dead stick if dumbthumbed into a too lean mixture, ow when the tank is run dry.
Enya 3 plug, 5% nitro, 18% fully synthetic oil.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:24 PM
freebird1

I think you have sumed it up flicka5, and I agree with you totally. ST makes some fine engines, but the 2300 in not one of them. I thought I would save some $, but it has cost me a whole lot more in the long run. It not much fun for a 150 people see you hit the earth at a fly in either.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Do a search and read Not24 recomendations and experimentations. I think he has figured it out the carb is too big and you need a smaller or different one (Magnum 120 carb) to solve the problms. Yes there are many people with recomendations that may help but not solve the problem. It takes a new carb to fix this engine if it is loading up in the midrange.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 AM
snap232

I had a bad bit of luck yesterday and unfortunately it was due to a S.T. 2300. The engine quit at idle and caused me to come up short of the runway, peeling back my brand new retracts and doing a lot of damage to a brand new airplane. I have been reading all of the tips and comments for improving the 2300 and have come to the following conclusion: with so many good engines on the market why should I waist my time trying to fix what never should have been sent to the market place anyway? I think I'll go another way than S.T. in the future.