Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Help mounting ZDZ 80 (single) / H-9 1/3 Cap

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Help mounting ZDZ 80 (single) / H-9 1/3 Cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Ron Eisner
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help mounting ZDZ 80 (single) / H-9 1/3 Cap

OK... I'm sure it's been discussed before but now I want some real time (as in "I did it and it's mounted solid as a rock and it flies great") comments on how to mount this beauty. Is it standoffs, and how long? Or rebuilding the motor box to the proper length, moving the firewall out and cutting the hole for the carb?

Getting ready to start right now. Please help!!!

Thanks, Ron
Old 01-25-2002, 09:34 PM
WalkerBoh-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default ZDZ 80

Hey Ron,
I asked this same question about a week and a half ago and got some great help. Do a search for the thread. I posted a picture of mine.

-Aaron
Old 01-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Help mounting ZDZ 80 (single) / H-9 1/3 Cap

I used 5/8" round aluminum standoffs - 2.34" long. Each standoff was drilled on a lathe for a 3.75" long 10-24 socket head cap screw. I added a 2nd 1/4" plywood firewall behind the original and installed the 10-24 blindnuts. Knock out the old blindnuts before you install the 2nd firewall. The blindnuts are offset from the original blindnuts - they use the same centerline as the stock H9 spacing but are moved outward to fit the ZDZ. That way, the spinner will line up perfectly. Cut a big hole in the firewall so the carb has some clearance. The carb actually sits 1/4" in front of the firewall, so all you are doing with the hole cutting is to make sure the carb can breathe easily. First flight this weekend - 65F in Chicago on Jan 27. Bring on global warming.