Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Plains 1/3 Extra ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 09:34 PM
VinceL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Plains 1/3 Extra ?

I am working on the fuse side sheeting of my kit and have reached a step that has me baffled. On page 36 of the manual step 16 references "fuse side shapers". I am unclear just where these are to be installed. I see no references to them on the plans and there are no pictures in the manual to help either, leads me to believe that this is a simple step but I just can't quite figure out what the manual is trying to get me to do here. Can someone help me out ???? Looks like I need the big fat crayon version. I'll post this in the kit building forum for G.P. to answer as well but I'm afraid that they might not get to it untill after Christmas, hoping someone has an answer quicker here.

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2002, 03:34 AM
Evert

Default GP Giant 330L

VinceL, those are filler strips added to the stringers so when you cover the plane there is a smooth transition from the sheeting to the stringers. I just started building the kit but haven't glued anything yet except the stab sheeting. Have to order many oz of CA. I agree the directions are not clear for many steps and the plans don't show much detail to help. Evert
Old 12-23-2002, 12:47 PM
RCToon

Default Great Plains 1/3 Extra ?

I just finished the stab and rudder/fin. Waiting for a couple of missing parts from GP to continue.
I have found quite a few errors in the manual so far, but none of them serious. I guess it makes building a little bit more fun, trying to figure out what exactly is to be done!
But I am very happy with the kit so far, the quality of the balsa and the kit design is soo good. I particularly liked the way the stab and elevators are built in one go! Makes building fun...looking forward to starting the wings. What motors/radios are you people going to use??
Old 12-23-2002, 02:27 PM
VinceL

Default Got it !!!!

Guys,

After reading Everet's post and squinting at some of the pic in the manual I can visualize the fillers. I still can't see them on the plans but I guess that they might be a little hard to draw in being so thin and tapering to nothing. A little side note on the plans would have gone a long way though.

I will be using a ZDZ 80 single with a JMB (RCS) can muffler. That has been the biggest problem so far for me. RCS doesn't sell a header for inverted mounts for this engine so I will have to make one up myself out of KS tubing. This is a new deal for me, it dosen't seem like a big deal but it sure would have been easier to do with a ready made unit. As far as a radio I will be useing my JR 783 or 8103. I haven't made up my mind on servos yet. I thought I wanted Hitech but I have decided against them since their failure mode seems to be a surface locked hard over. I will likely use JR or Futaba digitals.

Thanks,