Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

reversing El. servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
freebird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversing El. servos

I am building a 50cc edge and am using a 7cap radio. I either have to turn the servo around or point the horn one up and then one down to get the EL. to work in the same direction. On this one that will not work and I am going to have to buy a reversing y harness. What is the best reversing y harness? Most of the time I use Expert, but I want the best for this one. I am going all digital servos. Or by some slim chance does anyone have any idea on a better way to get them in the same direction. On the older servo you could reverse the servo, but no more .

Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

Default RE: reversing El. servos

I use Hitec digitals and the programmer. I use the programmer to reverse the servo in question and then just use a y harness to the receiver. Very easy to do.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The best way is to get Hitec Digitals and the programmer.
What I have done in the past is go get a Futaba and a Hitec servo on the elevator.
They will move in opposite directions.
Just make sure that the speed is the same.
Not having the same torque will not be a problem so long as the torque of each servo is greater than specified.
ORIGINAL: freebird1

I am building a 50cc edge and am using a 7cap radio. I either have to turn the servo around or point the horn one up and then one down to get the EL. to work in the same direction. On this one that will not work and I am going to have to buy a reversing y harness. What is the best reversing y harness? Most of the time I use Expert, but I want the best for this one. I am going all digital servos. Or by some slim chance does anyone have any idea on a better way to get them in the same direction. On the older servo you could reverse the servo, but no more .

Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Some of the servos are available with a reverse rotation, other possibilities already mentioned are good ones, but I don't like the idea of Y-harnesses...

The other possibility would be to use a Matchbox, they can reverse servo travel as well as match endpoints and neutrals and they are less money than a Hitec programmer, less hassle than ordering a special servo and I prefer to use same brand/model servos on control surfaces.

The Matchbox can also provide power directly from the battery should you need it for high current throughput, but they are about $60 whether you buy JR or Futaba.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or plug them into seperate channels and reverse one on the transmitter...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 AM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Some of the servos are available with a reverse rotation, other possibilities already mentioned are good ones, but I don't like the idea of Y-harnesses...

The other possibility would be to use a Matchbox, they can reverse servo travel as well as match endpoints and neutrals and they are less money than a Hitec programmer, less hassle than ordering a special servo and I prefer to use same brand/model servos on control surfaces.

The Matchbox can also provide power directly from the battery should you need it for high current throughput, but they are about $60 whether you buy JR or Futaba.
Smart-Fly makes the Equalizer II which works much like a matchbox but its cheaper and smaller. I use them and love them.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

you can allways set the 2 serovs on differnt cha,,,2 and 7,,then just reverse one,ails,,on 1 and 6,,works for me

NdFrSpeed
Old 02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NdFrSpeed... that's what I said....
Old 02-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the trims work equally when the servos are set up on different channels that method works just fine. Some systems don't match the trims. That's where a Matchbox, Equalizer, or the Futaba specific products shine. Reversing Wye harnesses often have their own issues with different speeds and trim changes as they heat up. A reversing Wye harness is for me not the way to go.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I ran reversing Y harnesses for years until finally one failed on me. They have been known to do that for many people. On a giant scale plane I would use a matchbox or a Emcotec Mini system. I use hitech digitals with the programmer and also use the Emcotec system particularly if you running high voltage.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good GAWD!! ANYTHING but a reversing Y. ANYTHING!!

Use a Matchbox or do it with the TX.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

He said hes using a Futaba 7cap and you CANNOT run dual elevators without some device or a reversed servo as it will not trim the slave channel, why Futaba did that I do not know, in reality its no better than a six
Its on their web page
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electrodynamics has awesome servo Y reversers. I used one for three years on my 25% CAP232, worked flawlessly. You gotta use the right one, not el cheapo $10 ones. Mine was $32.95. I have a 9C and no longer use it.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
NdFrSpeed

On a 7cap,,useing 2 and 7,the trim only works one elv,,but it flys fine,,no problem,,1 and 6 the trim work on both for the ail,,in a 9cap when you split the elv,you have to use 2 and 7,if you want all the mixes to work right,and the trims do work on both on a 9cap set up this way,if you use any other channel but 7 for the second elv,on a 9cap,the mixes wont work on both elv.

NdFrSpeed
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Tired Old Man

The individual that started this thread is clearly just getting started in Giant Scale. This is a nice step to be making and usually provides great rewards to those involved. The downside is that the individual is still think on a much smaller scale. It's now time to broaden horizons and begin looking at, and using, equipment that's designed to meet the more specialized needs of larger aircraft. This could be an excellent time to begin learning about all the tools that are available to those that get into bigger planes.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

[quote][On a 7cap,,useing 2 and 7,the trim only works on elv,,but it flys fine,,no problem/quote]

I repeat you will have no trim on one half.

Ndrfspeed how you fly fine with no trim on one channel is up to you but its not exactly good advice

Read it yourself http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-7c-q763.html

I agree with Silversurfer.....in the long run getting a decent radio will save money and wasted effort.

[]
Old 02-16-2007, 01:26 AM
NdFrSpeed

Got news for you it works just fine 1 Elv.and i know the trim on the 7CAP only works on one,,thats what i said,and it works just fine,,.i know what Futaba says,,they also said i cant do what im doing with my 9CAP till the Tech i was talking to went and got one and i told him how to set it up,,there suppose to be correcting the manual on the 9CAP as well.

NdFrSpeed
Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM
freebird1

Thanks gang

I have had several 1/4 and a few bigger bird close 30%. I really need to get a new radio, but will do that when funds become available. This is the first one that requires reversing one of the El. servos. I have used a Y, but did not really like it. I think I will go with a matchbox. The only one I can find is a JR. I was going to buy it. I was thinking will it work with a Futaba RX. I do not think it will, but I really do not know. What is a good matchbox for a futaba RX.

Thanks again
Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 PM
freebird1

Ok I think I have found what I need. I just bought a Futaba MSA-10 10SX Synchronizer. $59.99. I think it is just what I need and can synchronize 4 servos too.

Thanks again
Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Tired Old Man

Perfect!! Good decision.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
freebird1

Thanks, I feel a whole lot better!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freebird1,

Glad you found a fix. What I do is when I get a plane and find out I need to have one servo reversed I call Servo City. This is where I buy my servos and other goodies. They will reverse the servo for you at no cost to you. Just something to keep in mind for the next time.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:04 AM
freebird1

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Do they have a web site. I know we use to do this our self years ago, but the new servos are over my head. I opened one and took one look and close it up.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: freebird1

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Do they have a web site. I know we use to do this our self years ago, but the new servos are over my head. I opened one and took one look and close it up.
yep, [link=http://www.servocity.com]http://www.servocity.com[/link]

Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I have been using one 8611 and one 8611 reversed on my elevators for all my planes for a while now. There are other benifits to this setup, can anyone name them?!~)

joe

ORIGINAL: Zippi

freebird1,

Glad you found a fix. What I do is when I get a plane and find out I need to have one servo reversed I call Servo City. This is where I buy my servos and other goodies. They will reverse the servo for you at no cost to you. Just something to keep in mind for the next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.