Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Control arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Control arm

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

O.K. then, has anyone had the arm strip out? Or has anyone had the arm wear and develope slop?

Jim
I agree with Hammbone, this is a valid question because inquiring minds want to know. I want to know because when I moved to a 50cc WH Edge I was just unaware of the need for aluminum servo arms. I did get a aluminum arm for the rudder as that is what WH provided but the rest of the Hitec servos came with these robust, thick, servo arms that were 1.25" long so I used them. I have been flying that plane for almost two years now - and I do fly hard - without a problem. I would like to know if I am on borrowed time. So if anyone has experienced a problem with these servo arms, I would like to know. Sorry for the ramble...
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you even looked at the arms we are talking about? They will not twist under a load. They are a high strength arm. Put one in a vise and take a pair of pliers and try to twist it. Now take your aluminum arm and do the same thing. You might be surprised. (I haven't tried this so I might be surprised)

I am no expert on metals or plastics, but I'm sure there are some plastics that are stronger than some aluminums. These black plastic Hitec arms that come with the 5955 may be just as strong or stronger than an aluminum arm. They sure seem very strong to me. Why would I pay another $10 for a different arm when this one could be just as strong or stronger? I haven't heard of anyone having problems with this black plastic arm.

Now if I hear about some problems or failures, I may be switching to aluminum arms. That's why I asked if anyone has had problems.

We are all free to use whatever arms we want on our planes, and you won't find me argueing with someone about this. I'm all for discussing it to hopefully learn something though. I would be very interested in some destructive testing to see at what point (lbs of force) these arms fail, and I would be interested to see how this compares to an aluminum arm.

Jim

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

I can't provide any answers as to whether or not any of the H/D plastic arms have broken or stripped, but I do feel that if anyone is using a ball link attached to a plastic arm of any type they are being extremely careless and taking great risks. If you're going to go plastic, use a standard type clevis. Ball links are for arms that won't twist under a deflected load as plastic will.

As for my opinion about plastic arms and big planes in general...if you're going to invest that much ($2,500 and waaay up) why does one want to skimp on the part that connects all the moving parts of a flight surface? People will spend $115.00 on a servo but won't flip another $10.00 for a high strength arm? Makes sense to some I suppose.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 AM
drewbags

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

I can't provide any answers as to whether or not any of the H/D plastic arms have broken or stripped, but I do feel that if anyone is using a ball link attached to a plastic arm of any type they are being extremely careless and taking great risks. If you're going to go plastic, use a standard type clevis. Ball links are for arms that won't twist under a deflected load as plastic will.

As for my opinion about plastic arms and big planes in general...if you're going to invest that much ($2,500 and waaay up) why does one want to skimp on the part that connects all the moving parts of a flight surface? People will spend $115.00 on a servo but won't flip another $10.00 for a high strength arm? Makes sense to some I suppose.
Interesting point - I fly my 90 Sized Heli with ball links and they are on the standard Futaba servo arms/disks. Don't know if the loads are less or not, but assume that the load on the collective is pretty high?

Not sure if the 5955 has enough torque to strip either the plastic or aluminium splines, lets face it aluminium is a fairly soft material. Would have thought Hitec HD gear is designed with that in mind?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also question the HD arms that come with the powerful Hitec servos. I am using them on my new PAU 330L and they seem strong and tight. After doing some resurch on plastic arms, like the Nelson's setups, they recomend replacing the plastic arms after so many flights. I don't think this is the case with the new aluminum style arms. I do plan on changing mine out soon, but I think the HD plastic ones are good for so many flights. And keeping them very snug with the screw is a must, where the SWB double locks are an added protection.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:01 AM
tkilwein

I have them in a AW 36% Katana and I have blocked up the surfaces and lifted the entire plane up and down using the stock black arms for over 10 minutes with no problems. They did get a little warm but not hot. Plane weight is 28lbs 6oz.
I was testing them out before flying them. Two per aileron, 1 per elevator stab and two for rudder.
[img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66078.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	623429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25148.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	623430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73838.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	623431  
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
J roc

Thank you for all your replies. As hammbone says you have to see these arms before making a generalization about plastic. I applied voltage to the servo and pushed very hard on the linkage with a force that would easily bust any control surface with no problems. I have aluminum arms I could use so it isnt a cost issue. I have no problem using aluminum arms but I dont think they are necessary here. On the other hand I have JR 8600a servos that come with the same arms as a 40 oz servo. Hopefully manufacturers will wake up and include nice arms for us.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Buzzed

Using the plastic arms supplied with the 5955 servo's will never fail if a metal pin type clevis is used on the servo arm end. If you run a ball type link it "may" be possible to fail due to twisting on something like a rudder installation in which I would just go with the aluminum arm....I'd use them on anything with a heavy duty clevis on the arm, Buzz