Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

I got my DA back after factory upgrades and was able to get some higher resolution video. My thumbs are pretty green after a month off but feels good to be back in the air!
http://vimeo.com/9309837
Gator,

Clicking the link gives me a message that this is a private video and you have to be a member of Vimeo to watch it? Everytime I become a member of something I seem to get another load of spam emails so I am a little reluctant but would like to see your new video.

James
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Hey Gatorb8, you can use You Tube and keep it under 10 minutes it is free for all to watch, just make sure to make it public in the options.

R
Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

I got my DA back after factory upgrades and was able to get some higher resolution video. My thumbs are pretty green after a month off but feels good to be back in the air!
http://vimeo.com/9309837
Gator,

Clicking the link gives me a message that this is a private video and you have to be a member of Vimeo to watch it? Everytime I become a member of something I seem to get another load of spam emails so I am a little reluctant but would like to see your new video.

James

Sorry James, all this stuff is so new I'm not so good at getting the settings right, it was private, I changed it to public, you don't need to join anything, you can just view now.....
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Hey Gatorb8, you can use You Tube and keep it under 10 minutes it is free for all to watch, just make sure to make it public in the options.

R
WW,
Yeah I have an account with youtube and vimeo.
I ran a upload comparison with a 7 min HD video.
vimeo got it all done in an hour
youtube was still processing after 5 hours so I killed it
so, I went with vimeo

sorry I had it set private, it should be no problem now!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hucken at idle !!! Cool. Gator will you ever be able to go back to a 50cc engine? That's gotta spoil ya. I noticed that another guy that had the 88" Yak/DA-85 was selling his...not sure if it was here or FG. Looks fun.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Gatorb8

here is a few short camera tests I did on a really windy day....15-25 mph and very gusty
trying different resolutions and compressions, it's taking a while to figure out....

Gatorb8 hatcam:

http://vimeo.com/9270137

http://vimeo.com/9269582

Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Hucken at idle !!! Cool. Gator will you ever be able to go back to a 50cc engine? That's gotta spoil ya. I noticed that another guy that had the 88'' Yak/DA-85 was selling his...not sure if it was here or FG. Looks fun.
I have 2 EF 88 Yaks set up exactly the same way. I have a DA 50 I want to try with a pipe on the second Yak and compare, some day.....

I'm still gettting used to it.
One thing I noticed is left rudder while inverted harrier acts funny. It takes a lot to get it to turn and then it gets snappy. I'm wondering if that 27" prop doesn't require all of the built in right thrust? Any ideas....???

I did re-setup the elevator since the DA upgrade, maybe I snafooed it up.....I'll have to check that
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM
lokiyawl

Sorry James, all this stuff is so new I'm not so good at getting the settings right, it was private, I changed it to public, you don't need to join anything, you can just view now.....

Phucifino 3D

Gator,

No need to apologize, this stuff is even newer to me, I have not yet uploaded any videos! I just got a chence to watch your last video, you are getting pretty good with the on the deck hover and harrier! I don't nomrally fly my 74" down that low in a harrier yet so it will be a whie with the 88" It looked like you almost touched your rudder there at one point so that is about as low as you probably want to go. Your rolling circle to the left was done against the normal tendency of the plane to turn right when rolling to the left. I am still working on that one and it is NOT easy for me at least. Do you notice more prop torque (use more aileron in a vertical hover) with the 27" on your DA 85 versus your 50CC setup? I was impressed by the apparent lack of wing rock on your plane, it seems that I have seen the lighter planes rock more maybe//or it could be CG or you have fast thumbs? But whatever yours looks really solid in a harrier and wow does it jump when you just barely move the throttle..at least it sounds like you are just barely moving the throttle! I hope that you can bring that one to FX3D, looking forward to seeing it!

James
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Gatorb8

Phucifino 3D

Gator,

No need to apologize, this stuff is even newer to me, I have not yet uploaded any videos! I just got a chence to watch your last video, you are getting pretty good with the on the deck hover and harrier! I don't nomrally fly my 74'' down that low in a harrier yet so it will be a whie with the 88'' It looked like you almost touched your rudder there at one point so that is about as low as you probably want to go. Your rolling circle to the left was done against the normal tendency of the plane to turn right when rolling to the left. I am still working on that one and it is NOT easy for me at least. Do you notice more prop torque (use more aileron in a vertical hover) with the 27'' on your DA 85 versus your 50CC setup? I was impressed by the apparent lack of wing rock on your plane, it seems that I have seen the lighter planes rock more maybe//or it could be CG or you have fast thumbs? But whatever yours looks really solid in a harrier and wow does it jump when you just barely move the throttle..at least it sounds like you are just barely moving the throttle! I hope that you can bring that one to FX3D, looking forward to seeing it!

James
damn time-out! hate it when it does that!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Gatorb8

Phucifino 3D

Gator,

No need to apologize, this stuff is even newer to me, I have not yet uploaded any videos! I just got a chence to watch your last video, you are getting pretty good with the on the deck hover and harrier! I don't nomrally fly my 74'' down that low in a harrier yet so it will be a whie with the 88'' It looked like you almost touched your rudder there at one point so that is about as low as you probably want to go. Your rolling circle to the left was done against the normal tendency of the plane to turn right when rolling to the left. I am still working on that one and it is NOT easy for me at least. Do you notice more prop torque (use more aileron in a vertical hover) with the 27'' on your DA 85 versus your 50CC setup? I was impressed by the apparent lack of wing rock on your plane, it seems that I have seen the lighter planes rock more maybe//or it could be CG or you have fast thumbs? But whatever yours looks really solid in a harrier and wow does it jump when you just barely move the throttle..at least it sounds like you are just barely moving the throttle! I hope that you can bring that one to FX3D, looking forward to seeing it!

James
James,
I am thinking about installing ¼” ply on the nice flat spot I have ground into the rudder at the perfect harrier angle…….will need to remove the “tar” first

I do notice it takes a little more AIL to counter torque which is OK up until a certain wind speed, then it gets difficult cause I can‘t counter the wind and torque. The 23” prop seems to handle a little higher wind speed.

Wing rock is pretty minimal until I get sideways to the wind. On a windless day it’s a dream, as wind goes up and I get side wind, I need to “thumb-up”
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Hey Jerry, that's a nice camera, great flying too. I could not get the HD to work smoothly but the non HD version is still great quality.

So two questions;

1) Do you break in all your engines in helicopter mode?

2) Do you find flying the airframe that someone gave ya, and you doctored back up to health easier to get close to the ground? For me, it seems like if I have a couple bucks at risk rather than a couple grand it gets easier.... Just curious.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Hey Jerry, that's a nice camera, great flying too. I could not get the HD to work smoothly but the non HD version is still great quality.

So two questions;

1) Do you break in all your engines in helicopter mode?

2) Do you find flying the airframe that someone gave ya, and you doctored back up to health easier to get close to the ground? For me, it seems like if I have a couple bucks at risk rather than a couple grand it gets easier.... Just curious.
1) No, that was a harrier not a hover! It barely gets hot at 4-5 clicks!
2) Why, were you puckering when you saw the cowel you gave me that close to the ground? I still get shakey thumbs! But, it is easier when I fly a plane brought back from the dead cause I know I can probably fix it. Once it’s in the air, I don’t even notice it’s Franken-makeup!
I'll be glad to test your DL-30 lam yak at low altitude though.....
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM

Finally got my DL-30 on there and flew yesterday. Getting close to a half gallon in it now, ....only uses 5 ounces in 10 minutes.....still cutting rings but a strong little motor.....and yes you can drag it at FX3D all u want.....just leave your EF at the barn as collateral....
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
cjcyclesrc

Nice Flying Jerry!!

I've been working on my Yak the last couple nights. The motor is mounted and the servos are all in. I'm making a sodabottle fuel tank. I still need to run all the wiring and mount the RX. I should have it ready this weekend, but the weather looks like it's going to be bad. I'll get some pictures. I'm looking forward to flying this plane. I sold my 88" Yak over a year ago and I miss it. I've had the 110" and Extra to fly but I still just like to have an 88" Yak. I'd like to haveat least oneof each.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah I'd like to have one of each too. Wonder how the CAP is doing?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Gator,
Great flying !! Vimeo is a much better player then You Tube. It's alot more clearer then You Tube will ever be !! They actually call it GOO Tube !!

Frank...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
JoeAirPort

Well I finally took the jump to A123 for both my EF Yak and Extra. Placed an order with Richard just now. Got a trick Cell Pro Multi4 as well.

Can you believe it Charles?

PS: I'm still NiMh on ignitions. No reason to change those.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Joe,
Congrats! You're gonna love the A123's. There is no way that I would go back to Nimh or lipo w/regs. I have the Multi4 as well...but it is my back-up charger. I use an Orbit Pocketlader as my primary. The Multi4 is very easy to use and quite convenient...but I'm not sure that I'm sold on the whole preset driven menu thing (personal preference).

Keep us posted on how you like them...especially once you get some time on them. I predict that you will wonder why you didn't switch sooner [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

It would not hurt to cycle the new A123's once just to prove the capacity. ( a good idea for any battery for that matter) I have heard of one person that supposedly got 2 A123's that did not have the capacity they were supposed to have. I own 3 A123's and 500+ cycles and they have been perfect. It's really nice that they hold their charge, I recharge after flying and the plane is ready to go whenever I am. I do have an LED voltmeter that I can see through the canopy that I check before each flight. Hangtime Hobbies sells them and they can be programmed for A123's

James

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Well I finally took the jump to A123 for both my EF Yak and Extra. Placed an order with Richard just now. Got a trick Cell Pro Multi4 as well.

Can you believe it Charles?

PS: I'm still NiMh on ignitions. No reason to change those.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Joe,
There is a thread on FG called A123 for dummies that is chocked full of good information. Scan for Dick Hansons posts as he did much of the ground work. Great batts and charger ... simple and bulletproof!
John
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
xtraflyr

I'll let you know how the 7.4 lipos unregulated work,when I get my Edge finally flying ! On the 7955's they put out crazy speed and the resolution is awesome. When I get the chance I post a quick video .. I need to get longer arms for the elevs. I just used the Hitec Plastic,long ones just to set them up.. The lipos only take 1/2 hour to charge back up !!

Frank..
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
lokiyawl

Phucifino 3D

Gator,

James
James,
I am thinking about installing ¼” ply on the nice flat spot I have ground into the rudder at the perfect harrier angle…….will need to remove the “tar” first

I do notice it takes a little more AIL to counter torque which is OK up until a certain wind speed, then it gets difficult cause I can‘t counter the wind and torque. The 23” prop seems to handle a little higher wind speed.

Wing rock is pretty minimal until I get sideways to the wind. On a windless day it’s a dream, as wind goes up and I get side wind, I need to “thumb-up”
Gator,

Thanks for the feedback on how your plane flies. Maybe you should put a "harrier tail wheel" on your bird to handle those drags on the pavement? (grin) I am really impressed by your flying site, is that an old miliary runway by chance? There are quite a few of them scattered over Florida but none closeby unfortunately. The field I am flying out of is maybe 75' wide and 300 long with trees around 3 sides and water on the 4th.

I am noticing that the ailerons on the 88" are percentage wise a lot larger than on my 74" and more importantly, there is more area near the root of the wing where the prop wash is. I am hoping that the 88" will have more aileron authority since in a vertical hover I am often full stick to hold the torque and my surfaces are bevel to bevel...there ain't anymore!

James
Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
xtraflyr

Phucifino 3D

Gator,

James
James,

Gator,

Thanks for the feedback on how your plane flies. Maybe you should put a ''harrier tail wheel'' on your bird to handle those drags on the pavement? (grin) I am really impressed by your flying site, is that an old miliary runway by chance? There are quite a few of them scattered over Florida but none closeby unfortunately. The field I am flying out of is maybe 75' wide and 300 long with trees around 3 sides and water on the 4th.

I am noticing that the ailerons on the 88'' are percentage wise a lot larger than on my 74'' and more importantly, there is more area near the root of the wing where the prop wash is. I am hoping that the 88'' will have more aileron authority since in a vertical hover I am often full stick to hold the torque and my surfaces are bevel to bevel...there ain't anymore!

James
James,
Don't worry,you'll be able to do an opposite Torque Roll with all the Aileron authority..
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

I'll let you know how the 7.4 lipos unregulated work,when I get my Edge finally flying ! On the 7955's they put out crazy speed and the resolution is awesome. When I get the chance I post a quick video .. I need to get longer arms for the elevs. I just used the Hitec Plastic,long ones just to set them up.. The lipos only take 1/2 hour to charge back up !!

Frank..
Frank,

That would be great to know, thanks! I am hoping to at least begin my build in about 2 weeks. My power system was shipped today and the first 2 sets of flight batteries should arrive this week. I am not sure of what happened to my Graphics, need to follow up on that one but I think that I have everything else except for the RX batteries.

James
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Phucifino 3D

Gator,

James
James,

Gator,

Thanks for the feedback on how your plane flies. Maybe you should put a ''harrier tail wheel'' on your bird to handle those drags on the pavement? (grin) I am really impressed by your flying site, is that an old miliary runway by chance? There are quite a few of them scattered over Florida but none closeby unfortunately. The field I am flying out of is maybe 75' wide and 300 long with trees around 3 sides and water on the 4th.

I am noticing that the ailerons on the 88'' are percentage wise a lot larger than on my 74'' and more importantly, there is more area near the root of the wing where the prop wash is. I am hoping that the 88'' will have more aileron authority since in a vertical hover I am often full stick to hold the torque and my surfaces are bevel to bevel...there ain't anymore!

James
James,
Don't worry,you'll be able to do an opposite Torque Roll with all the Aileron authority..

Gator,

With authority..great! Maybe I can sneak some time in next week to start the build... (grin) I am really getting exicted about the 88. I have wanted one since I first saw the "Big Props" video that a friend emailed me..

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.