Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Hello everyone. I just got an email back from Spektrum. I had asked if the dual battery inputs on their power safe RX's were isolated. Here is the response:

James ,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

Yes they are 2 different circuits.

If you should need further assistance regarding this issue please reply to this e-mail for additional support.

If you need assistance in the future, please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] or you may also contact us toll-free at 1-877-504-0233.

Make sure to visit our web site at http://www.horizonhobby.com to see all of our new products!

Thank You,

Andrew
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Team
4105 Fieldstone Rd
Champaign IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

Joe,
more food for thought.....
I think it's sort of buried in the data. The V vs I curve shows the diode turning on at .7V (the drop) but thats at a 2% duty cycle. In our application we are running DC (=100% duty cycle) so I think the Tj (junction temp) goes up, there is a graph showing the Ta (ambient temp) versus Current, let's assume Ta=Tj, so then, as it heats up, voltage drop goes down. That's why we see less voltage drop than you would expect by looking at the V vs I curve.
make sense?

http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf
Jerry you are totally correct as verified by my science experiment. I have a freshly charged WrongWayRC A123 2300 mah 2S pack. I soldered two 1N 5404 diodes in series and measure the voltages at 0.5 and 1 amp load (what my ignition will draw). The results were as you stated. At 1 amp the voltage drop measured by my Fluke 77 went down as it heated up. Back to 0.5 amps and the drop stayed pretty much the same. This setup is pretty much perfect for the RCXEL igntion that needs voltage to stay at or below 6 volts.

0.5 Amp load, 5.17V on battery tester, 0.70V drop per diode.
1 Amp load, 4.90V, 0.754V drop per diode (lowered with time/heat).

http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28007.pdf

Whew! I was "all in" on that one!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
lokiyawl

Try your sim doing inverted harrier figure 8's, how does left rudder work, I think prop torque and right thrust fight it, or I'm tarded!

Gator,

Your right, there is a significant difference in right and left inverted harrier turns on my Extreme Flight Yak under Real Flight 3.5. What I a noticing is a pronounced nose drop when left rudder is applied. The nose drop does not hapen or is at least a lot less when using right rudder. Does this happen with the real thing as well?

James
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Gatorb8

Charles called me and told me he flew the wing off his buddies Yak......................and landed it! [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
We need to chip in and get Charles a video camera!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Try your sim doing inverted harrier figure 8's, how does left rudder work, I think prop torque and right thrust fight it, or I'm tarded!

Gator,

Your right, there is a significant difference in right and left inverted harrier turns on my Extreme Flight Yak under Real Flight 3.5. What I a noticing is a pronounced nose drop when left rudder is applied. The nose drop does not hapen or is at least a lot less when using right rudder. Does this happen with the real thing as well?

James
Happens to my "real thing" , I need to watch closer when other guys are "showing off", if they are good with inverted right rudder, they're good, if they are good with inverted left rudder, they are a GOD!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Gatorb8

Joe,
more food for thought.....
I think it's sort of buried in the data. The V vs I curve shows the diode turning on at .7V (the drop) but thats at a 2% duty cycle. In our application we are running DC (=100% duty cycle) so I think the Tj (junction temp) goes up, there is a graph showing the Ta (ambient temp) versus Current, let's assume Ta=Tj, so then, as it heats up, voltage drop goes down. That's why we see less voltage drop than you would expect by looking at the V vs I curve.
make sense?

http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf
Jerry you are totally correct as verified by my science experiment. I have a freshly charged WrongWayRC A123 2300 mah 2S pack. I soldered two 1N 5404 diodes in series and measure the voltages at 0.5 and 1 amp load (what my ignition will draw). The results were as you stated. At 1 amp the voltage drop measured by my Fluke 77 went down as it heated up. Back to 0.5 amps and the drop stayed pretty much the same. This setup is pretty much perfect for the RCXEL igntion that needs voltage to stay at or below 6 volts.

0.5 Amp load, 5.17V on battery tester, 0.70V drop per diode.
1 Amp load, 4.90V, 0.754V drop per diode (lowered with time/heat).

http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28007.pdf

Joe,
You are such a geek!
(I was doing the same thing last night.......)
Gb8
Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

You guys liked that diode thingie? Here is another for you.

Plug and play my stabs and when done wings too. Each line only has one JR connector in it and that is at the receiver (power expander in my case). With dual A123 driving my servo's I will get as much power as is possible.

Edit, picts did not take first time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31840.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1380730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92128.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1380731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48439.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1380732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75501.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1380733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15259.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1380734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17509.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1380735  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: diamondave

Nice Dave!
IMHO, electrics will accelerate your thumbs cause you can fly so often (at the park, in your yard) and fly so low!
Below is my electric ''rack''

I do have a question though......
When I get a small electric set up perfect, it will fly upright and inverted harrier in figure eights no problemo!
When I try the same thing with my EF 88 YAK or the simulator, I can do the harrier left and right fine, inverted harrier right rudder is doable but inverted harrier left rudder is very snapppy and very difficult. Is that plane setup or inherent to the Yak???
i dont know, i think in harriers there is all kinds of wacky things going on, with stall, thrust angles, etc....ive had planes with perfect thrust set up, meaning uplines require no rudder input to hold the upline straight, then i do a harrier and it wants to go left all the time? your situation could be something with latteral balance, maybe inverted one wing is heavier and wants to stall quicker than the other? i dont know if there is anyway to get them set up for every type of conditions ya know, if you put wieght on right wing to help your inverted harrier, it may mess up upright harriers...
Hey Dave,
I really noticed that on my EF Extra EXP since I really can do them well with it.. I can't do inverted harriers to save my life,but on uprights I need to hold some right rudder. I think the "P Factor" has something to do with that ? With the air from the prop going around the fuse and hitting the left side of the rudder .. At slower speeds it must change from higher speed .. Maybe you can use a flight mode and have a touch of rudder when you flick the switch ? I'd rather just hold a bit of rudder myself ...
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

You guys liked that diode thingie? Here is another for you.

Plug and play my stabs and when done wings too. Each line only has one JR connector in it and that is at the receiver (power expander in my case). With dual A123 driving my servo's I will get as much power as is possible.

Edit, picts did not take first time.
PaPa been doin' homework! Nice!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard that is very cool.

Jerry that was so much fun !!!! I'm a total nerd. [8D]

Although I may just stay with 4-cell NiMh on the ignition. That way I can charge both of my batt's at once since the Cell Pro is only a single charger. How do you charge all of your three A123? At one time?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Gatorb8

Richard that is very cool.

Jerry that was so much fun !!!! I'm a total nerd. [8D]

Although I may just stay with 4-cell NiMh on the ignition. That way I can charge both of my batt's at once since the Cell Pro is only a single charger. How do you charge all of your three A123? At one time?
Joe, I've accumulated a "few" chargers.......

Name:	Vs55443.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1380775  
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM
JoeAirPort

Oh my....
I'm a total light weight. Guess I could get another Cell Pro eh?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

In spirit of overpowering things... (something you probably know something about) what do you think about this motor and ESC for my foamie? (grin)

James

Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
lokiyawl

Photos didn't post..trying again. James
Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 PM
lokiyawl

Still no photos showing..one more try.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 PM
lokiyawl

Apparently the file size was too large, one last try.. James

Name:	Ge96531.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1380797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26239.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1380798  
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Apparently the file size was too large, one last try.. James
That will be just fine on a foamie up to 300" wingspan![8D]
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Gatorb8

James,
When I take pics for the web, I put the cam on the lowest resolution, looks fine, no fuss.............
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 AM
lokiyawl

James,
When I take pics for the web, I put the cam on the lowest resolution, looks fine, no fuss.............
Gator,

It's strange because usually the higher resolution photos upload just fine. This last time I got the indication the first two times that the upload was ok but the photos did not show up. I have found that I can reduce the resolution of the photos by pasting into an email and then saving the file. For sure, setting the camera to the lower Res as you suggested would work fine too. James
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: diamondave

Nice Dave!
IMHO, electrics will accelerate your thumbs cause you can fly so often (at the park, in your yard) and fly so low!
Below is my electric ''rack''

I do have a question though......
When I get a small electric set up perfect, it will fly upright and inverted harrier in figure eights no problemo!
When I try the same thing with my EF 88 YAK or the simulator, I can do the harrier left and right fine, inverted harrier right rudder is doable but inverted harrier left rudder is very snapppy and very difficult. Is that plane setup or inherent to the Yak???
i dont know, i think in harriers there is all kinds of wacky things going on, with stall, thrust angles, etc....ive had planes with perfect thrust set up, meaning uplines require no rudder input to hold the upline straight, then i do a harrier and it wants to go left all the time? your situation could be something with latteral balance, maybe inverted one wing is heavier and wants to stall quicker than the other? i dont know if there is anyway to get them set up for every type of conditions ya know, if you put wieght on right wing to help your inverted harrier, it may mess up upright harriers...
Hey Dave,
I really noticed that on my EF Extra EXP since I really can do them well with it.. I can't do inverted harriers to save my life,but on uprights I need to hold some right rudder. I think the ''P Factor'' has something to do with that ? With the air from the prop going around the fuse and hitting the left side of the rudder .. At slower speeds it must change from higher speed .. Maybe you can use a flight mode and have a touch of rudder when you flick the switch ? I'd rather just hold a bit of rudder myself ...

yeh there is definetly some wierd stuff happening....so far i just try and "fly" it without mixes, some of my imac buddies are really into mixing, like ail and ele with rudder so it wont drop nose with just rudder input, etc....they say it really makes imac sequence easier, i just havent messed around with that kind of stuff yet....but for sure harriers are something that shows wacky stuff..understandably too, the plane isnt supposed to fly that way
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
JoeAirPort

Talk to Charles about inverted harriers. He seems to have mastered them. I'm still not comfortable like I am upright. I can upright harrier anytime anywhere. Inverted is trickier for me.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
diamondave

its funny the only plane that ever did inverted ones easily for me was the original h9 funtana, my buddy had one and said the same thing, not sure what it was about that plane but it took no effort at all, no rock, stear around with rudder and no side effects, was amazing actually, did them better inverted than upright...

Name:	Vt57915.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1381066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96823.jpg
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	1381067  
Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

The rudder to aileron and rudder to elev. on the 12x is easy peasy lemon squeezy...It has it's own page just for that mix ! Inverted Harriers, I really suck at them !! I think I fly it to slow like an upright and it always want to fall off or start spinning !
Old 02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Lokiyawl, look for your batteries in the next day. They are RTF. A couple of cycles and they were getting 975 to 985 on each cycle (normal fo the 1100's), nicely balanced.

WW
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
diamondave

i thought it was easy peasy japaneazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.