Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

thats a nice looking mustang...colorful compared to the ones ive seen, i like it
Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Slow and Steady

Joe, What a great looking field and nice way to spend time with your dad! Planes look good to!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: diamondave

thats a nice looking mustang...colorful compared to the ones ive seen, i like it
It looks like a Byron Originals Mustang with the 4 bladed prop,and that color scheme...

Frank
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Joe,

Thanks for posting the photos, sounds like you had a really good day! I now have 26 flights on my new Yak and I like it more each time I fly it. I tried doing elevators with it today and I have never flown a plane that would just lock in like this one does, full elevator and a touch a throttle, no wing rock solid! I got the graphics installed and really like them, Vital Signs did a nice job on them, I even have my name on the canopy frame now. I found that I was using 80 MAH per flight today on the RX batteries, just a little higher than what I was getting earlier but still quite low. I have my high throttle end point set at 70% to help reduce the tendency for the ESC to cut out like it has been doing but even at that the plane is doing fantastic verticals. I believe I know what the problem with the ESC is now, the timing needs to be reset but it requires a special connector (which I have ordered) not included to hook it up to a computer. I hope to have that problem resolved this week.

I was amazed to find that I could slide the fuselage into my Chevy Lumina 4 door sedan. I just have to remove the stabs and it goes in there just fine!

James

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72164.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1481123  
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Joe,

Thanks for posting the photos, sounds like you had a really good day! I now have 26 flights on my new Yak and I like it more each time I fly it. I tried doing elevators with it today and I have never flown a plane that would just lock in like this one does, full elevator and a touch a throttle, no wing rock solid! I got the graphics installed and really like them, Vital Signs did a nice job on them, I even have my name on the canopy frame now. I found that I was using 80 MAH per flight today on the RX batteries, just a little higher than what I was getting earlier but still quite low. I have my high throttle end point set at 70% to help reduce the tendency for the ESC to cut out like it has been doing but even at that the plane is doing fantastic verticals. I believe I know what the problem with the ESC is now, the timing needs to be reset but it requires a special connector (which I have ordered) not included to hook it up to a computer. I hope to have that problem resolved this week.

I was amazed to find that I could slide the fuselage into my Chevy Lumina 4 door sedan. I just have to remove the stabs and it goes in there just fine!

James

Looks Great James ! I've been having a blast with my Edge and the Yak has been sitting in the shed,looking sad..

Frank
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 AM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Joe,

James

Looks Great James ! I've been having a blast with my Edge and the Yak has been sitting in the shed,looking sad..

Frank
Frank,

Glad to hear that you are really enjoying the new Edge. How does it compare to your sad Yak?

James
Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe,

James

Wow what a difference the graphics make from your previous pic. Looks awesome James. I'm glad you are enjoying it. It's my fav plane right now. The Extra is not getting much flight time lately.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I got 4 more flights on the Yak on Saturday. Conditions were very nice. 80*F and light winds, blue sky.
I did some more awesome flat spins, excellent hovers (down to 10' or so now), good KE, (I'm gonna do a mix...I'm pulling a little to the wheels and need to add right or is it left???aileron) Did excellent harriers with almost zero wing rock. I'm struggling keeping the nose up on rolling harriers but that's pilot not the plane. Rolling circles are beautiful. Waterfalls need a lot of rudder. I'm gonna check my lateral balance again. Engine ran perfect and started easily. Had a great day. Wish I could have flown more but I had other things to do.
This plane instills confidence. I'm still plenty nervous but I'm getting the fingers back and this plane helps with confidence.

Started the Sbach on Saturday night. Got the engine installed. I'm using the RL58 from Red Lion. Interesting engine. Engine and carb and plug weight 2lbs 12ozs. My DLE55 with the same weighs 2lbs 14ozs. Yet the RL looks larger on the cylinder. It's kinda oval shapped. Fits right in the Sbach real nice. I may try to shoot a picture.

Anyways.....getting excited again about RC.
thanks
Barry
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool Barry,
Can't wait to get a flight report on the comparison!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Barry Cazier

A comparison is going to be fun. I worked on it last night and got the rudder servo installed and the rudder. Man this thing is cool in that it has the rudder cables and ball links already installed. Just bolt them to the rudder horns and servo horn.
Right now I'm thinking about stealing away from work and do a little Yaking. I'm back into it again.
Thanks
Barry
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
JoeAirPort

Barry is back to Yaks !!!

My favorite plane right now. I like how it stays on a straight line while rolling. Very neutral. I'm spoiled.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Slow and Steady

Your enthusiasm is contagious. I will have to put my Funtana 125 down and complete this build!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

I only have 26 flights on mine so far but I also really like the way this one rolls. I have been working on getting the optinum differential mix in but the plane rolls so axially even without it that if it needs a mix it can't be much. Also minimal coupling while knife edging.. I am really enjoying this plane.. The connector required to change the settings on the ESC came in today so hopefully soon I will be able to try full throttle. Up until now I have been limited to only 70%..(which actually seems quite strong) and having to move the throttle only very slowly. These issues have to do with the electric conversion and choice of controller..not with the plane.

James
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

whats going on fellas..

I need a favor.. can some one measure there plane for me?? I am picking up another EF yak and need to build a crate for it..

I need

length from spinner to bottom of rudder

width of the gear

and height at the top of the canopy ) I think thats the tallest point..

thanks a bunch for any help guys

jessie
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
lokiyawl

My Hacker controller came in yesterday so I got it installed and did some testing. I found that all of my problems with the controller cutting out went away so now I am pretty comfortable bringing this Yak down low. I am trying to upload a photo now...

I got out my digital fish scale and did some thrust tests. I didn't have any charged batteries at the time so these tests were using batteries at aout 50% charge or 3.8 volts per cell.

Static Thrust on 11S Lipo batteries with Plettenberg Terminator turning a 24" x 12" RASA: 28 lbs. 9 ounces

Static Thrust on 12S Lipo batteries with Plettenberg Terminstor turning a 24" x 12" RASA prop: 32 pounds 11 ounces.

I will recheck this sometime with fully charged batteries but I am really happy with the power!

James

Joe,

I only have 26 flights on mine so far but I also really like the way this one rolls. I have been working on getting the optinum differential mix in but the plane rolls so axially even without it that if it needs a mix it can't be much. Also minimal coupling while knife edging.. I am really enjoying this plane.. The connector required to change the settings on the ESC came in today so hopefully soon I will be able to try full throttle. Up until now I have been limited to only 70%..(which actually seems quite strong) and having to move the throttle only very slowly. These issues have to do with the electric conversion and choice of controller..not with the plane.

James

Name:	Ge94844.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1483169  
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Barry Cazier

lokiyawl...
Those are very impressive thrust numbers. I'll bet that baby flys like a feather.
What is your flying weight?
How long can you fly on a battery pack?
Thanks
Barry

PS: I got five more flights on mine on Wednesday. Had a great time. It was breezy but I've come to expect that here in the wilds of Idaho. It was a good day though. Still impressed with the plane.

On my Sbach...I got everything in the fuse done. Engine is mounted, rudder, receiver, elevator servos, wiring is done, switches are in, fuel tank, and the cowl is cut. Just gotta put the control horns on the elevators and ailerons and this baby is done. I haven't mounted the batteries yet either, because that will determine the CG balance when I get it done. Should have it by mid next week for sure.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM
JoeAirPort

Nice pic James. And I agree those thrust numbers are incredible.

I was out last night with the Yak. I'm getting very confortable down low. It was very calm. It's been a very hot summer up here.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM
lokiyawl

Barry,

Thanks! My all up weight with my heaviest batteries is 19.3 lbs. With my lighter packs I am at 18.6 lbs. I will be a little lighter once I install my Kavan air tires and carbon fiber gear. This plane feels light to me and is super easy to land. It's funny how it squats with the stock gear but that gear really does take up the bumps. I am flying off of pavement and after 30 flights every bit of tread has worn off of the stock tires... I am getting a little worried about how long my Kavans will last..any input on that?

I started working on harriers and elevators with my 88" and wow is it ever nice in that mode! I have never seen a plane that would lock in with no wing rock on elevators and the wing rock I get in a harrier is so slow and minor that I can either dampen it out with aileron or not even worry about it. This is a fantastic flying plane!

James
Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 AM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Barry,

Sorry I forgot to answer part of your post! I am getting a very comfortable 8 minutes of 3D with lots of hovering on my large packs and 7 minutes on my smaller packs. That is taking out only 3,600 MAH out of 5800 so I am leaving enough reserve that if push came to shove I could fly another 4-5 minutes or so. I try to take it easy on my batteries to extend their life and I also like leaving a good reserve. When I was concerned about the controller cutting out and not doing so much hovering I was getting 10 minutes on the same or less MAH. The motor I am using is really effecient.

James

lokiyawl...
Those are very impressive thrust numbers. I'll bet that baby flys like a feather.
What is your flying weight?
How long can you fly on a battery pack?
Thanks
Barry

PS: I got five more flights on mine on Wednesday. Had a great time. It was breezy but I've come to expect that here in the wilds of Idaho. It was a good day though. Still impressed with the plane.

On my Sbach...I got everything in the fuse done. Engine is mounted, rudder, receiver, elevator servos, wiring is done, switches are in, fuel tank, and the cowl is cut. Just gotta put the control horns on the elevators and ailerons and this baby is done. I haven't mounted the batteries yet either, because that will determine the CG balance when I get it done. Should have it by mid next week for sure.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
lokiyawl

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Nice pic James. And I agree those thrust numbers are incredible.

I was out last night with the Yak. I'm getting very confortable down low. It was very calm. It's been a very hot summer up here.
Joe,

It has been a really nice summer here in Nova Scotia. Probably more wind that you normally have their though. Glad to hear that you are getting out with your Yak. I am looking forward to getting comfortable down low myself. I am already comfortable hovering, now on to the other fun stuff!
James
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
diamondave

Barry,

Thanks! My all up weight with my heaviest batteries is 19.3 lbs. With my lighter packs I am at 18.6 lbs. I will be a little lighter once I install my Kavan air tires and carbon fiber gear. This plane feels light to me and is super easy to land. It's funny how it squats with the stock gear but that gear really does take up the bumps. I am flying off of pavement and after 30 flights every bit of tread has worn off of the stock tires... I am getting a little worried about how long my Kavans will last..any input on that?

I started working on harriers and elevators with my 88'' and wow is it ever nice in that mode! I have never seen a plane that would lock in with no wing rock on elevators and the wing rock I get in a harrier is so slow and minor that I can either dampen it out with aileron or not even worry about it. This is a fantastic flying plane!

James
i had kavon 4" on mine flying off pavement, they did last a long time but they wore on the inside, never failed, but it looked like a car with a bad front end alignment, mainly from the gear spreading on landing i guess
Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 PM
diamondave

here is a pic, not sure if you can tell the tires are worn, anyway this is what it looked like before id pick up the front end and release the weight from it

Name:	Pn36930.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	1483592  
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
lokiyawl

Diamond Dave,

Yes, I can see the wear in the photo. Mine are actually worn quite a bit more..there isn't any tread left anywhere. (grin) Thanks for the info on the Kavans, I will get those installed soon. The stock gear on the 88" looks like it is too light but it actually is working out really well. Here are a few more recent photos of my Yak.

James

Name:	Ay73666.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	1483595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28710.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1483596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16264.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1483597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19865.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1483598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn77190.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1483599  
Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Barry Cazier

Not a Yak...but my lastest project.
I'm running a RL -58 engine. Haven't flown it yet. Started pretty easy, but only spun the NX 22x8 6700RPM. That surprised me. But, that is with only 10 minutes of run time. Maybe it'll adjust and do a little better. That neted me about 22 lbs thrust. Not too impressed with that. I have it on a header and can. Maybe the cans just don't make the power. As I think back on that....the engines I have on the cans do seem to not make good power. In comparison....the mighty DLE on the tuned pipe in my EF Yak spins the same prop7300 RPM. It spins a 23x8 7000 RPM and nets 25lbs thrust. On my Edge (on a can) it got about 23.5 lbs thrust. So hopefully the RL will break in and maybe do better.....

Thanks Barry

Name:	Wu61278.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1486715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99923.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1486716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19297.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1486717  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Barry Cazier

Man....that is a sexy looking airplane.
Thanks
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.