Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fromeco Ion CUBE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:31 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fromeco Ion CUBE!!!!

Most of you guys know that Fromeco released a new battery charger a few weeks ago. Since then, I have been waiting for my favorite LHS to get them. ( I always do that because I want this particular shop to succeed...plus he's become a freind and KNOWS about GS and CAN REALLY FLY.)

Anyway...I got the fromeco cube with a brain and all 5 ports are full. I LOVE THIS THING!! Yes, I have the reliacharger which is/was great for field use. BUT, now with the cube, I have the ability to charge 5 batts at a time up to 3s and 2.9A. It's fully programmable and as usual for Fromeco, Idiot-Proof.

I tested it today while on the road for work...foam with lipos. I flew through all of my 1350 3s packs (6). I hooked 5 of the spent packs to the cube and ordered dinner. By the time I had eaten, it was time to fly night-foam in the motel parking lot!!!

This thing is perfect for the Giant Scale guy with foam tendencies AND the Foam addict with Giant Scale issues.

Just wanted to share...PLUS....a side note: Truckers LIKE to watch you fly at night, BUT they also LIKE to threaten you if you hover next to their $200K rig...go figure.

Unlimited foam forever!! I LOVE this thing!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fromeco Ion CUBE!!!!

Ag,

Mine's on the way as well.....Looks like it's gonna be a huge hit for them

Truckers LIKE to watch you fly at night, BUT they also LIKE to threaten you if you hover next to their $200K rig...go figure.
As an over the hill truck driver and owner-operator, that $200K is just the tractor and a half decent one, now if they own the trailer, add in another +/- $100K so I can understand them not wanting anything to get too close. A windshield can be upwards of $1000 plus and we will not even get into the cost of a brake job every 6 months to a year if you drive across the rockies with any regularity or tires at +/- $500 a piece and you have 18 of them. When you buy one of those it's not much different than buying a house except the payments are way bigger and they can be destroyed much more quickly than a house.

This thing is perfect for the Giant Scale guy with foam tendencies AND the Foam addict with Giant Scale issues.
I don't have foamie issue but I certainly have GS issues
Old 04-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hi Guys

I have the Ion Cube as well all 5 ports plus the Brain it's a pretty cool charger.

Has anyone had there lights just rapidly Blinking? What does it mean any ideas?

I didn't try charging Li Po just the Li Ion good to know it works.

For some reason I had some trouble trying to charge the Duralites with that charge safe circuit. Might have been operator error I'll try another time.

The cutoff current is below .07 mah. I missed the exact number but it's very low.

If anyone hasn't seen the cube it's about the size of a Rubicks Cube.

Ian
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Flyjets,

The rapid blinking thing happens to me when I plug batteries in before powering-up the charger or when the battery is at capacity. I'm sure it's in the directions somewhere but I can't be bothered to actually read them all the way through.

Bubbagates,

You are going to LOVE this thing for Li-Ions and I HIGHLY recommend you get some foam immediately. Foam is EXCELLENT for flying just about anywhere, when you travel, on the way from the restaraunt to the car on your wedding anniversary, night flying, Hotel ballrooms, parks, rest stops...and if you ever have a loud group disturbing your relaxation, just fly foam they will shut-up and watch. Go to http://www.chargerrc.com and get a CR-1, best foam available ANYWHERE for outdoor flying. Don't skimp on the motor or the servos... ESC and RX can be whatever you want. Use Thunder Power 1320 3s packs for these planes...trust me, I've tried to save money on LiPos and it just isn't worth it.

The Cube is my favorite charger for all things Lithium. It will only charge up to 3s packs so it's perfect for foam, but limited for any larger electrics requiring more than 3 cells. You can charge at up to 2.9 Amps...5 at a TIME!!! So, if you have a foam-dependence problem, you MUST get this charger!! There are other chargers that will charge multiple lipos, but this one has them beat by miles. AND....if you have multiple Li-ion packs in your plane, you can charge them all at once like with the reliacharger, but the cube has a display and is just plain cooler.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
matus777

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

Hi Guys

I have the Ion Cube as well all 5 ports plus the Brain it's a pretty cool charger.

Has anyone had there lights just rapidly Blinking? What does it mean any ideas?

I didn't try charging Li Po just the Li Ion good to know it works.

For some reason I had some trouble trying to charge the Duralites with that charge safe circuit. Might have been operator error I'll try another time.

The cutoff current is below .07 mah. I missed the exact number but it's very low.

If anyone hasn't seen the cube it's about the size of a Rubicks Cube.

Ian

Duralites require .4 charge max.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Matus

Ur correct on what the output of the Duralite charger is not sure if that is exactly what there charge safe circuit is setup for.

But I suspect there is some room for more current.

The Ion Cube can go from 2.9mah to basically 100mah or less it seems.

Like I stated there was only a small window to try it out and I charged all my Fromeco batteries and all my Troy Built ones. The Duralites acted different.

It's highly possible I pluged them in 1st and the charger needed to be on 1st just not sure.

Ian